Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New vs old

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New vs old

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 06:30 PM
larrybeach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New vs old

I have a older Trek 1000, I bought it new around 2003. It came with a carbon fork, and I upgraded to Bontrager race wheels and a carbon seat post years ago. I have been hearing how frame technology has advanced since my bike, and even the newer alum frames are more comfortable and quicker than mine. I have found some close to new used bikes in my budget, but hate to spend the money unless there is a difference. Does anyone have any opinions on the difference in a almost new bike vs a 15 year old frame? They look different with a sloping top tube and more aero shape vs my bikes round tubes. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-18-18, 06:46 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Is it like this example:
Bike Archive 2003 Trek 1000

8 speed with a triple crank 52/42/30. STI shifters. A nice bike. I was going to suggest a newer bike would have wider range gearing than a 2003, but the triple works great on flat roads in the 42 chainring, and steeper climbs in the 30 chainring.

How does it fit? Do you like the ride? That would be the biggest reason to get a newer bike.

~~~~~~~~
Also:
Does it shift gears reliably? Shifters and derailleurs can get wear and slop. (And can be replaced as needed.)

What tires do you have? Does it fit 25mm tires? Good, flexible tires (GP4000S for example) are the most cost effective upgrade. Stiffer, cut resistant tires get fewer flats, but the ride isn't as nice.

I really like the newer "shallow drop" bars, riding in the drops is a lot more comfortable, and easier to reach.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-18-18 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 06:46 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I've recently upgraded from a 80's steel framed Fuji to a (almost) new Trek Emonda that weighs in around 15 lbs. However the Fuji's parts had over the years all pretty much been substituted for newer 10spd parts and lightweight new wheels - all of which now reside on the Trek. And prior to this bike I'd never ridden a carbon bike and actually only been on a few aluminium ones as well so I've jumped forward a few decades in frame technology so here are my impressions.
First yes- it's nicer. The ride is smoother and the pickup feels much more instant. But here's the catch - after a few months, it's now just my bike and nothing special anymore. And my strava times - particularly up hills which I felt would surely drop have not - most of my records are still on the Fuji, despite the Trek "feeling" faster and 5lbs lighter. So I'd say do it but don't except your riding to elevate to a higher plane and keep an eye out for those bargains - last years tech is only marginally different than today but prices drop dramatically after a couple of years and the internet retailers also have great prices.
Old 06-18-18, 07:49 PM
larrybeach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rm-rf, that looks like my bike, but for some reason mine came with a carbon fork. I really like it, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. I might look out for a good deal on something a little newer, but plan on always keeping my old Trek. I have had too much enjoyment to ever part with it.
Old 06-18-18, 08:29 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
I've recently upgraded from a 80's steel framed Fuji to a (almost) new Trek Emonda that weighs in around 15 lbs. However the Fuji's parts had over the years all pretty much been substituted for newer 10spd parts and lightweight new wheels - all of which now reside on the Trek. And prior to this bike I'd never ridden a carbon bike and actually only been on a few aluminium ones as well so I've jumped forward a few decades in frame technology so here are my impressions.
First yes- it's nicer. The ride is smoother and the pickup feels much more instant. But here's the catch - after a few months, it's now just my bike and nothing special anymore. And my strava times - particularly up hills which I felt would surely drop have not - most of my records are still on the Fuji, despite the Trek "feeling" faster and 5lbs lighter. So I'd say do it but don't except your riding to elevate to a higher plane and keep an eye out for those bargains - last years tech is only marginally different than today but prices drop dramatically after a couple of years and the internet retailers also have great prices.
LOL, yep, reality sucks! A couple of years ago I looked at my last 7 years of ride data and realized my two modern C.F. bikes were not any faster, day in and day out, than my old steel rides. Yet the steel road more comfortably. So I sold the modern bikes and have not looked back. And yeah, all my PRs are on steel bikes save for one 20+ mile Cat 1 climb where the Scott CR1 was the fastest to date. Before I sold it.
Old 06-19-18, 10:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If your frame is doing what you want, there is no reason to replace it. If you want a lighter bike or you've decided that the geometry of it isn't letting you ride efficiently then go for another. Or I suppose if you need that excuse to convince anyone else about your intent to purchase, then it's as good as any excuse.

I found that low end bikes of both aluminum and carbon are as heavy as the mid to high grade bikes of old back a few years ago when I briefly considered a new bike. Aluminum currently can put you in a very light bike for less money with a high end component group than almost all carbons. Almost.

Carbon can put you in among the lightest if you got the money to spend for the better ones with the high end component group. As for ride comfort, I'm not sure I can really tell the difference. It's too subjective and will vary from person to person, model to model, and the riding conditions.
Old 06-19-18, 03:17 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
^This is a great explanation, imo. While there have of course been some advances in bike design, I doubt you will suddenly ride like never before if using the latest. The Trek you have btw, is a nice one. I wouldnt feel any shame riding it.
Old 06-19-18, 04:46 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
My 30+ year old steel bike is a joy to ride. I'd say it has character, though I did recently put a 10-speed STI group on it. It does not detract from the ride quality of the bike. It gives up nothing compared to my other more modern bikes.
Old 06-19-18, 05:27 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Regardless of material, a Trek 1000 was a sort of basic bike racing bike. It isn't designed to be uber-stiff or silky smooth, but likely rides just fine with a carbon fork. You could easily spend $8000 and get a bike that comes with a much stiffer fork and isn't as comfortable, though it will be lighter. (The Trek Icon forks were fairly plush.)

Sometimes, it is just time for something new - but I'd keep the old bike going as a backup or rain bike. Otherwise, make the minor updates to keep "competitive" but don't go overboard.
Old 06-19-18, 05:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
When I bought my CF bike 12 years ago (yikes! 12 years), it felt much faster up the hills, and it felt like the power applied was transferred to the wheels better. It also gave a more comfortable ride. Was it faster overall though? I doubt it. But all the components were newer and worked better, 10sp Chorus vs. 7sp friction Campy NR. Brakes were much better, bars were better shaped, seat was better. I could ride it a lot further comfortably, which is important too. So my old steel bike is still around, sort of. My son has it, with all the upgrades I had done to bring it a little more up to date. 10sp wheels, new brakes, saddle. I'll take it for a spin myself every now and then, except he moved out of the house last year and took it with him. I offered to fix a few things this weekend for him and I'll take it for a spin.
Old 06-19-18, 06:56 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
To a significant degree, a road bike is a road bike. A new groupset could be great - 11 speeds, and even current 105 would be a bunch nicer than 8sp Sora. You could also get bearings replaced or serviced. Those would likely make as much difference as a new bike.