Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V-brake pad holder problem

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-19-18, 01:46 AM
shine2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so i was adjusting the toe in with my brakes and on the last front v brake of my hybrid everything was going well except the last brakepad screw it was on.
when was using my allen key to tighten the brakepad bolt thingy that its on,not the fine tuner screw!

the long bolt that the brakes are on

when i try to tighten it the whole brakepad will move while i tighten the bolt.

what should i do? i already put some lube on it and no dice!
Old 06-19-18, 03:41 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I hate to say this but your post is a little confusing

You talk about adjusting brake pads on a v-brake system then you shifter to a "fine tuner" screw and then the long bolt (cap mounting screw).

The fine adjuster (Phillips head mostly) is for adjusting spring tension and do not normally need to be adjusted unless something else is out of wack and should not be adjusted when adjust brake pads.

The long cap bolts also do not need to be touched in adjusting brake Pads.

Is sounds like you need to check the order of the concave and convex washers that hold the pad on.

When I adjust pads, I will loosen the pad nut and then activate the brake lever and hold it while tightening the pad nut snug, release the lever, hold the pad in place and then give the hex nut a little snugging.

Here is a video that may help you and includes the proper order of the washers in the pad mounting.

Old 06-19-18, 05:32 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by shine2000
when i try to tighten it the whole brakepad will move while i tighten the bolt. what should i do?
Are you possibly cross-threaded? Check for that. Sometimes I have to hold the pad in place w/my fingers when I'm tightening the nut.
Old 06-19-18, 07:13 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Just hold it in place with one hand and tighten with the other. Or squeeze the against the rim and tighten.
Old 06-19-18, 08:22 AM
Bike tinker man

Bikes: My 1978 Raleigh from new, 1995 Trek, & constant changing & rebuilding of other bike projects.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is a tendency that as you tighten the Allen bolt nut to secure the brake pad, that it try to turn the brake block which the stud is connected to; this is common, normally you can lightly hold the brake block in place (lined up) with either grips or an adjustable holding the end of the brake block not too tight.
You need to make sure two things:-
1./ The bevel washers are not in wrong & they are seated properly, I normally put a touch of grease on them so them to assist in sitting properly.
2./ someone needs to hold the brake lever on (not too hard) so that the brake block is in proper line up with the rim, otherwise when you pull the brake on the brake block as it moves in an arc will rise slightly & may catch the tire.
Old 06-19-18, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
terminology note; (education) , this is, apparently, about the mounting/fixing bolt

the term 'pad holder' does not apply, if the pad is molded over the spine with the bolt..

A pad holder is what holds a removable brake pad, allowing one to replace just the pad, not the whole thing..

carry on..
Old 06-19-18, 10:06 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 80 Posts
If the brake block is misaligned after tightening the bolt, I will sometimes just get an adjustable wrench, fit the jaws to the brake pad, and rotate it to align with the rim.
Old 06-25-18, 01:12 AM
shine2000

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so i had just lost a little washer in the bolt on the brakepad.
Old 06-27-18, 06:24 AM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The main pivot points. Like on cantilever brakes, don't often need any attention. Just grease the arm pivots. You can "unhook" the V Brake springs when working on them. You need enough slack in the finished anchored cable, to remove the wheels with the tires inflated. I replaced my hybrid's V Brake pads last year. I used smaller spaces than the ones that came attached to the brake pads. The exposed screws on the bottom balance,, center the brake arms. Pull up a chair & take your time. Clean the rims too. cheers