Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

How to build a lugged steel frame, with pics

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

How to build a lugged steel frame, with pics

Old 03-20-18, 09:23 AM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
This is the 10th anniversary for this thread, so I thought an update is in order. The bike is still ridden all the time and still basically as it was when completed. A few changes in components mainly due to wear or failure of the originals; A Chris King headset replaced the original Campy SR, it wore out in record time. I made a little cable adjuster for the front derailleur. The 2008 Centaur shifters wore out with no replacement parts available so they were replaced with 2014 units. The 2008 Centaur rear derailleur pivot points wore very badly, replaced by a Veloce unit about a year ago. Seems 2008 wasn't a great year for Campy....Toss in a few chains, two cassettes, tires, tubes and bar tape and it's still a pretty good all round bike.

Last edited by Cassave; 12-02-22 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For Cassave:
Old 03-20-18, 10:09 PM
8aaron8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Still looks great, with what sounds like a lot of time out on the road.
Old 12-22-18, 09:11 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 319 Posts
Nice build Thread and very informative.
Old 05-08-20, 11:12 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
: popcorn :

Fascinating! Only thing I ever built was a Team Associated RC-10 back in middle school. That ended badly.

Which is why I will never trust myself on a homemade bike.
I built an RC 12L as my second R/C car. Tested it on the street in front of my house, pulled into the gutter to let a full-size car go by, he parked on it. . . . .
Old 02-03-21, 09:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I really like follow up posts, especially after the glow has been ridden off. Good job. Andy
Old 02-10-21, 02:38 AM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassave
Just dove in (a long time ago).
Like pancakes, the first one's never so good.
"The first crepe is for the dog" (old French saying).

I imagine most hand crafted work suffers from the same amusements in the learning curve.
Old 07-14-22, 04:48 PM
Moptopman87

Bikes: 1986 Pro Miyata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tin Shack Alliance!

Thanks for sharing! It is way too easy to be focused on the building, and nothing else. This kinda stuff is what feeds my desire to fire up the torch! Keep it up, and I'd love to see more.
Old 07-20-22, 11:40 AM
rowjimmy

Bikes: Litespeed Ghisallo, Detroit Bikes Single Speed, Knoa Honzo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
This is a great thread. I built one frame about 10 years ago and never finished it. One thing I struggled with is geometries. I had a book on how to build frames and just went with its suggestions. But if I wanted to build something non-standard like a BMX frame. Is it best to measure another bike and copy that geometry?
Old 07-21-22, 08:50 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by rowjimmy
This is a great thread. I built one frame about 10 years ago and never finished it. One thing I struggled with is geometries. I had a book on how to build frames and just went with its suggestions. But if I wanted to build something non-standard like a BMX frame. Is it best to measure another bike and copy that geometry?
Copying known geometry is a fine way to not make a blunder with the numbers. Every hobby builder I have talked about this with has done much the same. Studied the geometry of various bikes in their size, picked the aspects they liked and incorporated them into their own design. Andy
Old 07-21-22, 09:50 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Copying known geometry is a fine way to not make a blunder with the numbers.
I'm taking Doug Fattic's class. I'm a fairly normally proportioned guy. Knowing the top tube and seat tube lengths I can pretty well tell whether or not a frame will work for me. I could probably get away with "copy a known geometry" approach. I don't recall Doug doing much fussing around with the numbers he took from my Griffon. He told me to raise my saddle a bit.

The other fellow taking the class is a whole 'nother kettle of fish though. I wasn't paying super close attention, but Scott will wind up with a much different set of frame specs than that of the bike he brought for fitting. Note that the bike Scott brought is his favorite bike. After all is said and done, I would be surprised if the frame he's building isn't his new favorite, by a mile. If Doug is interested in expanding on this, he can. I won't reveal any secret sauce he might have.
Old 07-21-22, 10:00 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Just seeing the parts all cleaned up and ready to go was exciting. Thanks for the Thread...