Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-11-09, 07:49 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

am looking to start a Mezzo/Ori thread for owners or potentional owner. Any pro and cons that other Mezzo owners have experienced. Any Mezzo/ori owners got any proven value for money upgrades to reduce weight or improve the bike.

Some problems;

under grearing of the standard bike.
Ocassional non self locking of the back clip, cured by greasing it.
Ocassional catching of the chain guider on the chain guard.
I have had some difficulties with the folding towards an aftermarket sram dualdrive wheel click box.
Rear brake not very powerfull.

please note I have reposted this thread into the folding bike forum.

some advantagers
Rides well,
easy maintaince,
most upgrade parts tends to fit
Two frame mounting for the locating of the rear folding clip. Thus facilitating either a standard or internal rear hub.

How many have upgraded to rear crespro hub to address undergearing?
Bars are too high ?
Trick bits that fit well ?
want to add a photo ?

Last edited by bhkyte; 03-11-09 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 08:01 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The standard bike is generally very good. One issue is the under gearing 54 /11 common to 16" bikes that use rear mechs. The bike will accept up to a 56t front cog. The standard D9 has a 54 the D10 a 56

I decided to upgrade to either an internal hub with a higher ratio, a shimano Cespro hub with 9 teeth, or go for the dual drive. In the end I found a relatively cheap new 3 X9 sram hub. The Sach 3x7 is available cheaper.
I also have a sach3X7 wheel which is now on a more standard mezzo with standard bars on and bigger tyres. This bike is gold, an serves as my "off road mezzo" and is better for folding for shops and compactness of fold over my fast road version.
The dual drive lickage can be done with a standard SA chain rather than the click box and a long cable is needed. The cable needs securing with a clamp to stop it moving when folding and altering the adjustments. Plenty of excess cable is needed else it is pulled towords the midline of the bike when folding and prevents the seat post from sliding down, preventing the folding of the bike. Plastic ties also helped to avoid this, and a cable stopper clamp is reguired on the rear traiangle.

Also I have removed the "U" shaped front wheel securing clip that is used to lock the bike together when folded, on the road Mezzo. The dual drive makes it difficult to use. The stiff folding of the stem keeps the wheel secured. One less unfolding stage. However it can be moved to the other frame mount location if I decide to refit it later. Currently I secure it by resting it on the rear triangle(see photo), but I may try a tool clip at a later date.

The cable for the rear brake is best upgraded to a telfon inner. Good pads like Kool stops improves the rear brake to be less of an issue. I found the best combination to be Swiss top on the rear and sammon Koolstops on the front.

Another good addition is the cateye cube rear light(£30) which fits on the rack easily and does not foul the floor on folding. It is recommended my Mezzo, i would imagine it would work well on a brompton.I like the fact that it can be solidly mounted and left on the bike when locked up.

I know many people have gone for the cespro option. How did this fair. Fitting The dual drive taught me alot about cable routing !

Another issue with folding bikes in general is the durability of folding pedals. Personaly I like the durability and easy of ue of the MKS FP6,but I also use the MKS quick release in standard or clippless forms.

An other point worth of note are the imprivements to the 2006? and onwards bikes. Better front quick release fork system that is more secure, better tyres, seatpost clamp that can be secured by a weak hampster!
However the lovely Cespro shifter has been changed to a Tiaga one.

One thing I would like to try on the black bike is to use a front wheel with about 18 spokes. The idea is so that the brake lever can go through the larger gaps and allow a flatter fold. I do this to some extent now.

Also aiming to get a chaepish carbon crank to save some weight.

Would love to see photos of other mezzos,thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0455.jpg (100.5 KB, 640 views)
IMAG0477.jpg (100.3 KB, 616 views)
mezzzo folded1.jpg (101.2 KB, 637 views)
mezzzo folded1 (3).jpg (105.2 KB, 579 views)
mezzzo folded1 (4).jpg (102.3 KB, 584 views)

Last edited by bhkyte; 04-03-09 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-27-09, 05:32 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For more recent information and photos see the "mezzo dual drive conversion help" thread
Old 08-25-10, 12:45 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A few recent questions from my mail box. Hope you don not mind? (need to tidy this up a bit)

Q/before the front wheel quick release mod was introduced (2008?). How important is this in terms of folding speed and/or safety in your opinion?

A/Its fine, the older version has the advantage of it makes a click if you forget to lock it!

Simple upgrade.
Skate wheels with the axle on the outside of the rack for easier rolling.

Suggested upgrades.

1/Use long ,(tandem to be sure), Teflon inner brake cables with a squirt of 3in 1 oil. Tilt the bike to get the oil to flow along all the cables. Clarke tandem are fine I find. Approximately 160cm.

2/Green/wet "Swiss stop" brake pads for a road bike work better than koolstops pads on the rear. The adjustable toe in of the swiss allows a closer clearance with out binding. Kool stops work well on the front.

3/ Clear rollerblade wheels with red cores disperse a rear LED light really well. Thus improving side visibility and safety in the dark!

4/Mezzo stems don't flex much. However if you tighten up the fold pivot it reduces the bar/stem play a little. If you over tighten this though the stem doesn't fold. Generally Creaks can be adjusted out I have always found. ie the rear hinge adjusts, the folding stem mentioned. Make sure you tighten the rear rack bolts occasionally, as this is often the source for creaks. Another source is the seatpost clamp. The newer version closes better for £12 and may get rid of a pre-existing creak as it has a higher collar.

5/ Kojacks tyres are recommended for a road bike.

6/ The later front wheel QR is an improvement. Not sure about safety, but it is sturdier and easier to set up. £100 to retro fit, I sold my old slightly damaged one for £20 on eBay. The older set up tends to make a clicking noise if you ride it after forgetting to lock it which is handy. The real advantage about the new version is if you foolishly (like me) ,forget to close it, it does not get damaged easily, unlike the old version.

7/ bigger chain ring and crank plus bottom bracket is around £58 compete for the D10. Or find a 56t and use a Birdie chainring guard for around £25 or less. Personally I would go for a internal hub gear wheel build up if you want an easy life, or the 3X9/7 if you feel confident about your upgrading skills.

8 Crank, if you change to a carbon hollow tech get the right width bottom bracket or spacer else it will catch the chain guide.

9/ Seat post, no other options. Unless you go custom.

10/ rims, don't know.

11/ Bars, anything that does not interfere with the fold. I use home made,(botched), bullbars. If you want more forward reach options you may have to look at adding a QR stem bolt. I took 2" off my black bike stem to get a lower profile. See little pixels thread on modifying a Aber hallo extension stem.

12/ Internal hub gears are very long lasting and reliable. Many have been working for decades. I know of few if any riders riding a 10 year old cassette cluster. They make alot of sense on a folder, also they gear up folders better than draillers can.

13/ cateye cube light, see Mezzo web site, works well.

14/ Mezzos losing their chains - design fault? Get a Mezzo chain retainer. Its a little plastic clip on the downtube that helps the chain stay on.

Diffculties in ordering parts from web site?
order from a mezzo (ATB) dealer. Anyone who sells marlin MB should be able to order Mezzo parts which in my experience arrive quickly.

Suspension options.
I run two bikes one with marathons the other with kojacks. Ones a road bike the other an all-rounder. I also run an extra seat post with a sprung saddle on for light off road. It may be possible to fit an adapted suspension seat post. A pantour hub is possible also (pricey).I would like the later as further possible upgrade for the front. A modified front suspension stem is another possibility. Tyre and tyre pressure is another parameter.

However a stiff mezzo set up like my black bike really moves. Compare it to a very fast hybrib or budget racing bike. I like it that way!

Thoughts about how easy it would be to design an adaptor into the current rear locking mechanism using polyurethane/rubber a la Moulton/Brompton to give it some rear suspension. I have not idea how to do this suggestion.
Old 10-01-10, 09:09 AM
prone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi
bhkyte

I've followed your highly informative posts on Mezzo upgrading and thought you might be interested in my own thoughts on the matter.
I have a Mezzo d10 which I think is a fabulous bike.
However, size has become more of an issue for various reasons connected with travel, so I recently splashed out on a light-weight Brompton 6 speed. I can tell you my thoughts on a comparison between the two bikes later, but suffice it to say that it hasn't reduced my appreciation or use of the Mezzo.
With the exception of Ergon 2 grips (which I find a big improvement) I really haven't done much so far to the bike but after several holidays using it I now want to rethink the gears. One of the issues for me is that the 32 inch available with first gear is just not low enough for some of the hills I have needed to get up. So, I am thinking seriously about a hub gear and the Alfine seems to get a lot of good press. The new Alfine 11-speed looks like it might be perfect. Any thoughts on how this would work with the 56T chainring?
By the way, I read a lot of negative comments about the Mezzo luggage (more about a comparison with Brompton luggae later). My experience is that with the commuter bag (after removing the side panels) and a bar bag I have loads of space for everything I need for one week credit card touring. Also, with the panels back in, this is a very solid item. The fit via slots in the rear rack coupled to the seat post velcro fastener is very convenient and very secure. The bag itself is extremely robust-one day I forgot to tie the velcro fastener and the bag, containing my laptop, went bouncing down the road. Both survived in perfect nick!
Old 10-02-10, 05:40 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prone
Hi
bhkyte

One of the issues for me is that the 32 inch available with first gear is just not low enough for some of the hills I have needed to get up. So, I am thinking seriously about a hub gear and the Alfine seems to get a lot of good press. The new Alfine 11-speed looks like it might be perfect. Any thoughts on how this would work with the 56T chainring?
By the way, I read a lot of negative comments about the Mezzo luggage (more about a comparison with Brompton luggae later). My experience is that with the commuter bag (after removing the side panels) and a bar bag I have loads of space for everything I need for one week credit card touring. Also, with the panels back in, this is a very solid item. The fit via slots in the rear rack coupled to the seat post velcro fastener is very convenient and very secure. The bag itself is extremely robust-one day I forgot to tie the velcro fastener and the bag, containing my laptop, went bouncing down the road. Both survived in perfect nick!
I've followed your highly informative posts on Mezzo upgrading.............Thankyou!

and thought you might be interested in my own thoughts on the matter......Yes

I have also owned both bikes simultaneously and found that the Brompton was unstable and slow and therefore I felt unsafe and uncomfortable in town traffic. I do find the Brompton easier on the train but not to any great extent that it really difference. Interesting to here your perspective on ownership. I have made my Black Mezzo fold a bit larger but its in another world in speed and handling compaired to a standard Mezzo or Brompton.

The IHG you suggest should work really well but I have no experience of the Alfine.

Luggage on the mezzo I think works well, but it does lack the front bag of the Bromie,however I have seen a Mezzo with a black mezzo handle bar bag that does not appear on the web site, any information anyone?
Old 10-02-10, 06:34 AM
prone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great-this thread actually works!

One thing I forgot to mention which is relevant to this thread is that the other mod I made to the Mezzo d10 is to replace the "slippery when wet" pedals with folding MKS FD6 pedals, which work very well.
As for the front bag you mention, see the Dutch Ori site:
https://www.oribikes.nl/accessoires.html
I have emailed them for more info.

I totally agree that there is no advantage to the Brompton when travelling by train in the UK or Europe-the Mezzo is just fine. However, I am planning some trips further afield that will require air travel and the prospect of the availability of the B-Pod hard case for the Brompton swayed me to get one. I am told by Brompton (who unlike Mezzo are pretty swift about getting back email responses to enquiries) that "we have had issues with our supplier and working up to a full production model has taken longer than we�d like. We are not quite certain of an exact launch date yet but we are expecting it to be at the tail end of this year" i.e. 2010.
I know that some airlines are pretty good, e.g. see the post by atman at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ing-experience
However, I am in the UK and don't expect the same kind of customer service from our budget airlines that they get in the US, so I want a case that protects the bike and that is checkable on budget airlines.

Coming back to the luggage issue, I really don't like the front luggage on the Brompton for touring, it looks like it would make a very effective sail, and people I know who use it tell me that it really affects the bike in headwinds. For this reason I looked for a Brompton rack bag solution that would be as good as the Mezzo's. The rackbag that Brompton supply is too small at 16 litres for my kind of even credit card touring. So I bought the larger bag, also made by Radical Design, from www.fiets-a-parts.nl. This is about 20 litres. However, it did not have the velcro strap to secure the bag around the seat post a la Mezzo so I got one put on.
This works well.
Old 10-02-10, 02:30 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like the mks fp6 but it has durability problems for the high cost.

Thanks for the link to the front bag, that is different form the Mezzo front bag I have seen. This was a soft nylon mesh one. Need to ask the owner where they got it from as it is good to have as many options as possible. Yes I like he large rear bag also it keeps out the wind and is quick to put on the bike.

have you tried removing the mezzo stem for folding. I have not but it looks like it would then pack small enough for a suitcase.
Old 10-02-10, 06:03 PM
coolio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the informative post, guys. Keep up the good work.

Because I'm a folding bike nut, I have considered the Mezzo. What's the stock weight with just the rack? I think the rack is considered a stock item. I think weight is important for hand-carrying these types of bikes.

Also, last time I looked, a basic 3 speed brompton was around $1K. What's the price of a base Mezzo?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-10, 08:01 AM
prone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the link to the front bag, that is different form the Mezzo front bag I have seen. This was a soft nylon mesh one. Need to ask the owner where they got it from as it is good to have as many options as possible.

I'd be very interested to hear about that. At the moment I use an Ortlieb bag for touring with Klickfix to the handlebars. I use the same bag for the Brompton but use G�nter Schwirkschlies adaptor to attach it to the Brompton's front bag mount-almost as good as the Mezzo!
See below for an illustration
https://www.flickr.com/photos/plooifi...ts/3439477760/

Have you tried removing the mezzo stem for folding. I have not but it looks like it would then pack small enough for a suitcase.
I did mess about with the Mezzo stem to see if I could get it in a smallish suitcase and came to the conclusion that the whole point was not to have to disassemble the bike, so I gave up.

In answer to Coolio, yes it comes with a rack.
I just weighed my Mezzo d10 and it is 12.6 kg (27.6 lbs). However, that is with a Brooks Flyer Special saddle which adds about 0.7 kg to the bike. I got the sprung Flyer saddle to provide a little protection against bumps, which it does. This weight is not so different from my Brompton S6R-X9 (sport bars, 6 speed, rack and mudguards and titanium bits), which is 11.7 kg (25.6 lbs). So if you don't change the saddles, the difference in weight is negligible. Both bikes have Ergon GC2 grips which are great and don't impair either fold.

I couldn't tell you the price of a base Mezzo in dollars but here in the UK the above specced Brompton comes in at around 1250 pounds and you can get a Mezzo D10 for around 900 pounds. Obviously these are top of the range so you could do much better than this. For example bhkyte has worked wonders with the much less expensive versions of the Mezzo, see the posts.

One thing I would say to anyone considering a Brompton-don't buy the bike cover-get the Mezzo one instead, it's packs smaller, it's lighter and works just fine if you encounter an obnoxious bus driver-it's also cheaper than the Brompton bag.

Finally on the subject of the Brompton, with the 6 speed there is (IMO) an extremely irritating 2 lever system, one for the hub gears, the other for the two-position derailleur. My LBS changed the 3-speed lever changer to a Sturmey- Archer 3-speed twist grip (TSS33 R3) which works OK.
Of course the big advantage of the Mezzo is that you don't have to put up with the Brompton's clunky gear system so that commonly available and standard derailleur or hub systems can be fitted if you feel like making a mod to suit you (coming back to the theme of the thread).
Old 10-03-10, 10:11 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Mezzo is availale at some good discounts from time to time £389 was all I paid for a new D9. Lots of deals for around £400-500.
Old 11-15-10, 03:46 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is a carbon bike also,lust,lust

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=mezzo
Old 07-28-11, 01:56 PM
prone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bhkyte started this thread for people to post about upgrades to mezzo bikes, so here is my attempt to revive it.
I recently (actually my LBS) fitted a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub to my Mezzo 10.
It is a fantastic improvement, and didn't really require too many mods, no new swingarm, just a new wheel.
It is heavier, about another 1 Kg, but in my opinion well worth it. Other issues are the hub interferes with the full slotting in of the front mudguard strut into the Sockal clip, but this is solvable.
Two holidays with it so far and very impressed by the hub.
Old 07-28-11, 02:25 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
bhkyte started this thread for people to post about upgrades to mezzo bikes, so here is my attempt to revive it.
I recently (actually my LBS) fitted a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub to my Mezzo 10.
It is a fantastic improvement, and didn't really require too many mods, no new swingarm, just a new wheel.
It is heavier, about another 1 Kg, but in my opinion well worth it. Other issues are the hub interferes with the full slotting in of the front mudguard strut into the Sockal clip, but this is solvable.
Two holidays with it so far and very impressed by the hub.
That sounds tasty, very jealous. Mezzo need to offer a good IGH or a cespro, (apparantly not compactable, but MAtt52 claims to have fitted one), as standard. The Shimano Alfine 11 would be my choice on the gold bike of mine instead of the dual drive sach3X7. But I love tiagra brifers on the black bike with bullbars and 3X9 sram.

2 solutions I have used on my dual drives for the sockal(?) clip are
1) remove the clip and rest the front QR on the rear drop out and then use a hair bobble around the frame bellow the seatpostclamp to hold the fold together
2) I have used a plate to extend the bracket further behind to avoid interference of the IHG linkage.
(see the dual drive conversion of a Mezzo thread" posted by "bostonblackie"

photos please of the bike. cost?

Last edited by bhkyte; 07-28-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-02-11, 02:46 AM
prone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi bhkyte,
Well as far as cost is concerned, the Mezzo conversion was not cheap.
The Alfine 11-speed hub was about £450 with rebuildiing of the wheel (had to get a Sun 32 hole wheel for this-the wheel cost about £30), and the shifter was about £64. So a lot of cash, but I justified this to myself on the basis that I don't plan to change this for several years. I can't imagine why I would change it anyway, as far as I am concerned this is the perfect folder for touring using public transportation. The only way it could possibly be improved for me would be if it were lighter, but I don't see that as being likely unless there is a miracle alloy on some distant planet that we don't know about yet.

One other modification is that I am replacing the small rather inefficient wheels on the carrier which don't work very well when pushing the bike folded over uneven concrete with a pair of Brompton eazy wheels.

I have enjoyed the convenience of putting the mudguard strut in the Sockal clip to secure the fold. So I think I will persevere with that. Thanks for the suggestions about the Sockal clip issue. Inspired by you and "bostonblackie" I am going to try to relocate the Sockal clip using a mending plate.

I'll put some photos up once I figure out how to work the camera.

One last point about Brompton versus Mezzo. As I mentioned before, I also have a Brompton S6R-X9 (sport bars, 6 speed, rack and mudguards and titanium bits). There is no doubt that nothing beats the Brompton for compactness when folded (slightly smaller than the Mezzo), lightness and versatility. If I had to have only one bike I might go with the Brompton, especially for short commuting. However, when it comes to touring with intermittent public transportation I find the Mezzo, particularly my current version, much more enjoyable, and as people keep saying to me in France, tres practique.
Likes For prone:
Old 08-03-11, 02:22 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

1/ As I mentioned before, I also have a Brompton S6R-X9 (sport bars, 6 speed, rack and mudguards and titanium bits). There is no doubt that nothing beats the Brompton for compactness when folded (slightly smaller than the Mezzo), lightness and versatility.

2/If I had to have only one bike I might go with the Brompton, especially for short commuting. However, when it comes to touring with intermittent public transportation I find the Mezzo, particularly my current version, much more enjoyable, and as people keep saying to me in France, tres practique.
1/ I have made this point before I don't agree. Brompton is good package, but I found a Diblasi beats a Bromptom for sheer folding/ commuting ability on a train. Its much slimmer folded and folds and unfolds instantly, quicker than a tikit. Even while walking if you want ! I have owned all three bikes simultaneously. Diblasi is not that much of a slower bike compired to a Bromptom. I regretted selling my Diblasi and sending 5X as much to obtain a secoundhand Brompton.

2 Totally agree with the preference for a Mezzo over the Brompton on faster rides. My upgraded Black bike is in a different league for speed and handling.

That said the Brompton is possibly a more versitile bike as it is more comfortable for pleasure riding. Whereas the stiff,better handling Mezzo suits fast Urban commutes better.

Last edited by bhkyte; 08-03-11 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 07:31 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The other day a Brompton owner asked if my folded black Mezzo was a Brompton !
(Hardly?)
Old 08-28-11, 12:43 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just seen an I4 go for £225 on ebay.
Old 10-01-11, 03:38 AM
chekmx

Bikes: Brompton,Electric KMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about buying an Ori Mi8 and adding Versa vr8 shifters and an On One Bingo Handlebar to replace/supplement my Brompton. Is there anyway I can determine if the bars will effect the fold other than suck it see or is there a commercial qr stem bolt available(I have googled but not had much joy)? Also I'm thinking about luggage options . Would it possible to fit front panniers like the birdy or the fold out rear pannier rack from bike friday. I mostly want to use the bike for multi modal commute mixed with a full bike commute (3km or 30km one way respectively) and I have tried a number of solutions including an ebike(too slow as I need to ride both directions full distance), cadenza 8 which was nice to ride bar the creaking but no good on the train and a Brompton which is great for multi modal but sucks for the full trip as it is quite hilly here. I'd also like to use the bike for light touring. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.oribikes.ch/faltvelos/ori-mi8.html
https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOBING...---318mm-clamp
https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BLVEVRS8...e-8sp----black
Old 10-01-11, 04:57 PM
prone

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chekmx, I am sure the nexus hub would be good, as far as I know this is not yet available on the Ori/Mezzo as sold in the UK.
I can tell you that the alfine 11 speed hub (I guess kind of a successor to the nexus 8-speed) works really well on my Mezzo, I just had to relocate the Sokal clip (used to hold the front wheel in the folded position) using a mending plate which I bent. Actually the fold is even snugger now than before. Only down side is that the whole bike now weighs 14 kg, but the gears work extremely well. I'm just back from a week long holiday with lots of hilly terrain and the bike performed really well.

I think a lot of people are put off the Mezzo/Ori because it looks a bit weird but it works very well.

Coming back to the fold-I think it is unlikely that you would be able to fit a front rack since, if you look at the way the bike folds, the front wheel is turned more than 180 degrees anti-clockwise and then fits snugly up against the frame.
Personally, I find the rear commuter bag made for the bike good for commuting and with the side panels removed very spacious for touring-obviously not with a tent etc, just clothes, tools and books. I also use an Ortlieb bar bag.
I couldn't tell you if the On One Bingo Handlebar would work-since it seems to have an adjustable angle, it might. Certainly I have no problems with the handles on my Ergon GC2 grips. The span of my Mezzo handlebars is 56 cm so as long as the bingo bars were not shorter than that they should not interfere with the fold, depending on how you configure the versa shifters, but I would say there is a fair amount of flexibility there.
Old 10-02-11, 01:00 AM
chekmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks prone. I think you are right about the front track. I saw a nifty video yesterday of people hanging rucksacks on the back of there bromptons which would work equally well with the mezzo so I think light touring can be cover one way or another. The bingos are 42 cm wide I think but I wonder if a dahon revolve stem would fit the mezzo. I notice some of the carbon ori models have compact drop bars and I have to admit that could be a tempting alternative to bullhorn bars if they will fit.
Old 10-02-11, 03:18 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chekmx
I notice some of the carbon ori models have compact drop bars and I have to admit that could be a tempting alternative to bullhorn bars if they will fit.
My black bike has short bullbars that add 3 inchs to the folded width.
Other possibilites that come to mind are the obber(?) hallo bar extension modified to take a QR see "little pixels" thread.
The other possibility is to fit an Santoria QR adjustable stem, I am not sure about compact ability of diameter to fit mezzo.
Old 10-03-11, 12:32 AM
chekmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks bhyte it seems the best bet is to put the bike together and then add any tweaks to the fold ,such as a qr stem, at a later date.
Old 10-04-11, 12:47 AM
phatjonny

Bikes: Cannondale H200

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Hi chekmx

Will the supplier swap the parts out for you or will you have to make additional purchases?

Might be an idea to buy the stock bike then ride it for a year or so: you'll grow to love, hate or feel indifferent to it. Then can upgrade as you wish. Perhaps it is best to really know the base bike - then you might have more appreciation of the upgrades if you still deem them necessary.

Just an idea! Enjoy and post when you get the bike.
Old 10-04-11, 11:30 AM
chekmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Phatjonny. Sensible advice but having ridden the brompton for many years I am confident that I will benefit from the increased number of hand positions offered by drop or bullhorns than the stock bike offers and one of the main reason to get this bike is the ease with which it can be upgraded. I can always switch it back and sell the parts if it doesn't suite me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.