Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Winter Training: Indoor Riding & Weight-Lifting

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Winter Training: Indoor Riding & Weight-Lifting

Old 07-13-18, 05:27 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That's a good question about RPE. I don't do it, but don't know if that's because TP doesn't implement RPE or whether I just don't know how to do it. My Polar V800 watch uploads right to TP. My HRV software also uploads to TP. I only have to enter weight, sleep, etc. (metrics) manually.

AFAIK, TP assigns hrTSS according to some secret formula off HR. I put in my cycling zones and that's what it uses in its formula. It can also use running pace for TSS, maybe other things. I think I can assign different HR zones for each individual activity, but wouldn't know how to do that sensibly.
Ah, thats probably it. I'm usually using my phone(strava) to track runs/hikes/paddelboarding but usually without HR, doh!
Old 10-13-18, 01:12 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Different people have different goals, and even the same person may have different goals at different times. So your assertion that progression is the only thing that matters in weight training may be correct for you but it's not a universal truth. Strength maintenance is a perfectly valid reason to lift.
All things being equal time has a deleterious effect. With that in mind, maintenance IS moving forward.
Old 10-13-18, 06:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
All things being equal time has a deleterious effect. With that in mind, maintenance IS moving forward.
That is true. I'll never sled reps of 540 again. Partly because I've quit using the sled. But even with my (for a gym rat) teensy amount of weight training, I start seeing good gains after the first month in the fall. So far, so good. Whatever it is, it's enough to keep me competitive with my age groupers on the big climbing rides, though my times aren't what they were 15 years ago, that's for sure. Those days are gone and they're not coming back. My main thing is not to get injured, so I keep lifting, but not too much.
Old 11-20-18, 10:21 AM
covpride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I come from a powerlifting/weightlifting background. Currently prepping for the 2019 grinduro, just getting back into cycling after about 5 years or so away from it. Currently running a version of Wendler's 531, lifting 4 days a week, spinning 3-4 days a week, plus riding as I can fit it in. Doing a 20 mile gravel ride this saturday. First organized gravel ride, should be a good time. So far my lifting and spinning and riding are working well. As I get more time to ride, i'll switch to a 2 day version for lifting and increase the riding. Already picked a few gravel rides to do to help prep for the Grinduro, and will plan some large road rides too. It'll be an interesting endeavor, but I think it will be a lot of fun.
Old 11-30-18, 02:10 AM
rumplex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by covpride
I come from a powerlifting/weightlifting background. Currently prepping for the 2019 grinduro, just getting back into cycling after about 5 years or so away from it. Currently running a version of Wendler's 531, lifting 4 days a week, spinning 3-4 days a week, plus riding as I can fit it in. Doing a 20 mile gravel ride this saturday. First organized gravel ride, should be a good time. So far my lifting and spinning and riding are working well. As I get more time to ride, i'll switch to a 2 day version for lifting and increase the riding. Already picked a few gravel rides to do to help prep for the Grinduro, and will plan some large road rides too. It'll be an interesting endeavor, but I think it will be a lot of fun.
I have a similar background.

What’s Your 5/3/1 Template Look Like? What are your current lifting numbers? How do you train on the Spinning Bike?
Old 12-03-18, 02:50 PM
covpride

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rumplex
I have a similar background.

What’s Your 5/3/1 Template Look Like? What are your current lifting numbers? How do you train on the Spinning Bike?
I was running a modified version of the young wendler template. So day one is power clean/deadlift. Day two is Bench, Day 3 is squat, and day 4 overhead. I haven't maxed anything in a while. Back in april I hit 460lbs squat, and 280lbs bench in one session. Best ever was the 460 squat, have benched 325 but I was heavier then. I hit 475 on deadlifts last september. Currently been running training maxes in the 85% range, and doing 30-40 min spin classes 3-4 nights a week at home. I think I'm going to run a few cycles with some heavy singles before the weather breaks, then I'll drop down to 2-3 days in the gym and more riding/spinning.
Old 12-07-18, 08:51 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This winter, I'm planning to experiment with repeating the same workouts and basing power on maximum sustainable intensity.

I'm also somewhat early out of the gate as my endurance is already good with a 1x120 @ 75% cardiac drift of <5%. But I'm going to continue to perform this workout weekly for maintenance purposes and to burn calories.

I've just begun adding 4x4 @ MSI and 4x8 @ MSI as long as I make progress and then will incorporate 40/20's.

Everything including 1x120 (with Netflix and microbreaks every 10 minutes) will be using manually-controlled fixed power.

I'll be monitoring RPE, HR and cardiac drift (fixed power equivalent of aerobic decoupling).

(Especially until I find MSI) If I know I have another interval in me, then I'll perform and extra interval and increase power for the subsequent workout.

If RPE and/or cardiac drift is higher but HR is lower then I'll assume that is because of fatigue-induced heart rate suppression.

I'm planning to experiment with allowing more fatigue accumulation balanced with more frequent/longer recovery periods.

I'm already doing fairly well with consistent sleep, nutrition, caffeine, hydration for both performance and indicator reliability.

I'm also going to add 25g protein to my daily diet.

I'm also going to be incorporating a significant amount of core and upper body work so that need to be consistent and monitored / accounted for.
Old 12-15-18, 12:21 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I took up weightlifting for the first time this year, only a few weeks into it but I love it. I'm following phraks glsp that is on the redit fitness site, with a couple added accessories to help my arms a bit more. I really like weightlifting and wish I'd been into earlier, especially back when I was in school and the gym was free! I ended up getting a decent home setup for the cost of a year's memembership at the local gym so I think it's something I will keep on doing for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-21-19, 05:19 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 766 Posts
I've been doing squats and other lower-body exercises to work on improving my cycling legs, mostly focusing on strength; however, now I've started incorporating power training using explosive moves with lower weights and I can really feel the difference on the bike.

I've been using the Ground Based Jammer in the gym. I get in a low-squatting position (for this I stand on an 8-inch platform, so I can get in below "parallel" squat position) and then I propel upward with near 100% force. I do this with both legs and single leg exercises.

Video showing the Ground Based Jammer

Old 05-21-19, 05:57 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I've been doing squats and other lower-body exercises to work on improving my cycling legs, mostly focusing on strength; however, now I've started incorporating power training using explosive moves with lower weights and I can really feel the difference on the bike.
I'd think you want to use heavier weights and focus on the 1-5 rep range if strength is your goal. True? Perfect if cycling is your primary sport since you get useful strength without unnecessary bulk.

I've been using the Ground Based Jammer in the gym. I get in a low-squatting position (for this I stand on an 8-inch platform, so I can get in below "parallel" squat position) and then I propel upward with near 100% force. I do this with both legs and single leg exercises.

Video showing the Ground Based Jammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKkUV0Eg-N0
First, I think its time for a new Spring titled thread, don't you agree? Although at this point it won't be for very long since summer's only a month away so maybe just skip ahead?

Anyway, back to the machine. I don't like it, since its limited to your upper body strength. Although I have used it albeit solely as a rehab for my shoulder. But I know its used as described since there's one of them at the university gym.
Old 05-21-19, 09:12 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 766 Posts
I'd think you want to use heavier weights and focus on the 1-5 rep range if strength is your goal. True? Perfect if cycling is your primary sport since you get useful strength without unnecessary bulk. First, I think its time for a new Spring titled thread, don't you agree? Although at this point it won't be for very long since summer's only a month away so maybe just skip ahead?
I do heavier weights, especially for when I'm strength training, but there's a difference between strength training and power training. I like incorporating power training for maintaining good sprinting skills, which I see as very important while cycling on the roadways.

Here's a basic breakdown between strength and power training. https://us.humankinetics.com/blogs/e...rance-training

You can train muscular power by incorporating explosive exercises after seeing initial strength gains. Plyometrics training is a form of jump training in which you exert maximal force in short intervals, which has been shown to effectively increase leg power. Usually exercises are quite short but fairly explosive. An example of a plyometrics exercise is 6 to 8 high tuck jumps followed by a rest and then repeated twice more. If progressive overload is applied here, the frequency of the jumps may increase from 3 to 4 bouts and the number of repetitions may increase from 6 to 8 jumps, to 8 to 10 jumps, and so on.

Anyway, back to the machine. I don't like it, since its limited to your upper body strength. Although I have used it albeit solely as a rehab for my shoulder. But I know its used as described since there's one of them at the university gym.
Upper body needs exercise too, but the way I do the exercise, my legs are very much involved (since I'm standing on an 8-inch platform) and I could isolate my lower body further by simply not pushing up with my arms after standing up. But, I like the full-body exercise.
Old 09-25-20, 10:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by fstrnu
This winter, I'm planning to experiment with repeating the same workouts and basing power on maximum sustainable intensity.

I'm also somewhat early out of the gate as my endurance is already good with a 1x120 @ 75% cardiac drift of <5%. But I'm going to continue to perform this workout weekly for maintenance purposes and to burn calories.

I've just begun adding 4x4 @ MSI and 4x8 @ MSI as long as I make progress and then will incorporate 40/20's.

Everything including 1x120 (with Netflix and microbreaks every 10 minutes) will be using manually-controlled fixed power.

I'll be monitoring RPE, HR and cardiac drift (fixed power equivalent of aerobic decoupling).

(Especially until I find MSI) If I know I have another interval in me, then I'll perform and extra interval and increase power for the subsequent workout.

If RPE and/or cardiac drift is higher but HR is lower then I'll assume that is because of fatigue-induced heart rate suppression.

I'm planning to experiment with allowing more fatigue accumulation balanced with more frequent/longer recovery periods.

I'm already doing fairly well with consistent sleep, nutrition, caffeine, hydration for both performance and indicator reliability.

I'm also going to add 25g protein to my daily diet.

I'm also going to be incorporating a significant amount of core and upper body work so that need to be consistent and monitored / accounted for.
When you say cardiac drift of <5%, how are you figuring that? If that's for 120', what point do you use for your base HR which then drifts? I've been using my HR at 30' as my base in zone 1 (3 zone system). It seems to settle on a number about then.
Old 07-08-21, 12:12 AM
gadgetgram
Gadgetgram

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smart Indoors Exercise Bike

The Echelon Connect Bike EX-5s is a smart exercise bike for indoors use that comes equipped with a 22” HD Rotating Screen, an Ergo-Adjust Resistance Knob with 32 levels of magnetic resistance, a 6” Fore/Aft Seat Lever and a Seat Height Adjustment Lever for adjusting the bike's seat position and height, a set of Adjustable Toe Cages on its pedals, and 2 Power Ports for charging your devices while working out. And those are just a few of the many new and improved features that this smart indoors exercise bike has to offer to enhance your performance.

Coming designed for maximum comfort, smooth functionality and total immersion, this smart exercise bike is one of the most versatile smart indoor bikes you can currently find available. With it, you can greatly broaden your fitness horizons and transform all of your workouts at home to ultimately overcome any barrier.

Now, without any further ado, let's have a more detailed look at this smart exercise bike and check out everything that the Echelon Connect Bike EX-5s has to offer you.
Old 11-23-21, 07:48 AM
seanppower

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Squats

Squats babbbbyyyyy