Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Pair of classic Italian bikes

Old 11-02-16, 07:58 PM
karelb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pair of classic Italian bikes

Hello - I’ve just come across this great forum, and hope I might be able to get some some information and advice here. I’ve recently inherited from my father two classic Italian racing bikes from the mid 1970’s. One is a Pogliaghi, blue, serial #9460, stamped PSM on the lug. The second is a Galmozzi, orange/red, from the same era. Both were purchased in Berkeley in the 1970’s. Both are equipped with all their original Campy Record components. They’re both in decent shape, with a few rust spots and some oxidation from the 35 years of storage since they were last ridden.

While I have fond memories of these bikes, I’ll never ride them. I’m interested in selling the bikes, and would appreciate any advice you might have on their value, and how best to connect with a buyer who would appreciate them. I understand this is not a forum for selling - I'm just looking for advice and valuation.

Thanks very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0086.jpg (23.6 KB, 505 views)
DSC_0054.jpg (24.0 KB, 505 views)
DSC_0031.jpg (20.3 KB, 508 views)
DSC_0059.jpg (20.5 KB, 502 views)
DSC_0089.jpg (23.1 KB, 507 views)
Old 11-02-16, 09:19 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Need better photos.

The photos are insufficient to judge, but both bikes are potentially very valuable. These are two of the most highly regarded Italian brands around. They also have to be sold, and shipped, correctly. The way to maximize value is eBay with global auction enabled, but if you aren't familiar with bikes you are unlikely to get top dollar. You need the right photos showing the right details, as well as information like year. The background story would help as well.

I suggest selling with BIN make offer enabled. I paid a lot for my Galmozzi, but the market has also cooled. I'd be lookimg for 1600+ per bike assuming they're in good shape, but I also know how to sell them. If there's a member experienced in bikes of this level near you you may want to consider getting help.

You will probably be getting offers from members here...if it's under 1200 for either, don't even consider it IMO. Those are top rate and excellent condition.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-02-16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 09:56 PM
ItalianPower

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better pics would help a lot! The Pog is registered and looks to be a 70-71. The Galmo seems to be a mid 60's but would be good to hear from CDM AND/or Slotcar.
Old 11-02-16, 10:06 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I agree with Aaron's assessment, well presented they should get $1500 - $2000 if you're willing to take your time. Both of those bikes are VERY desirable and you will want to get top dollar for them. In order to do so you will need to spend some time and money on them; throughly cleaned and any obviously worn out components replaced. If you are unfamiliar with vintage bicycle maintenance, a forum member near you may be able to help you out. Where are the bikes located?

A Galmozzi that looks very similar to yours was recently for sale on eBay and received no bids with a start of $2190. The bike looked clean and well maintained but the photographs weren't very complimentary for a bike at that level IMO. Another issue to consider is the time of year you offer it for sale. If selling locally or on eBay, you may get a larger pool of interested people in the spring or summer; although with bikes of this level of collectability it may not matter.
Old 11-03-16, 06:24 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Just to give you an idea on the Galmozzi, here's one currently on ebay that I am lusting after:

Vintage 1970s Galmozzi Racing Bicycle,Columbus Steel,VGC,56cm,Campagnolo gruppo | eBay

Granted, he hasn't gotten any bids on this bike; it has been relisted a couple of times. I think he's starting the bidding too high at $2,189.
Attached Images
galmozzi_70s.jpg (101.9 KB, 463 views)
Old 11-03-16, 07:55 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
He needs better pictures. Hard to tell but I wonder if it's a repaint.
Old 11-03-16, 09:32 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

From the head on photo I don't think the pog is...that looks like a better than average Italian paint job from the era to me. If it's a restore I think it's an older one...and you'd think that braze ons would have been added. Most people didn't view restoration as preservation then.

These are both potentially VERY nice bikes IMO, from two of the most desireable builders.

One issue you may have is a lack of data points...bikes like this sell rarely, and the size and color matter because the market at this range is smaller. Things can be more variable and take longer to sell. I REALLY wanted the color and features of the Galmozzi I got, and the seller was a known guy who has a first rate reputation. That matters.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-03-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-03-16, 02:55 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Just came across this, what appears to be the same color red as your Galmozzi:

Galmozzi Jim Bolivar
Old 11-04-16, 12:03 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 111 Posts
Hello,

As stated earlier, these are exceptional bikes that could fetch big $$. However, you need a lot more info on them and need to present properly. There may be a forum member in your area that could help you facilitate the sale as well as packing and shipping. You will need to compensate them. If you just want to move them to a new home where they will be appreciated, upgrade your forum status, list them here and see if can get a reasonable price.

CHEERS,
Old 11-04-16, 12:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hello,

As stated earlier, these are exceptional bikes that could fetch big $$. However, you need a lot more info on them and need to present properly. There may be a forum member in your area that could help you facilitate the sale as well as packing and shipping. You will need to compensate them. If you just want to move them to a new home where they will be appreciated, upgrade your forum status, list them here and see if can get a reasonable price.

CHEERS,
+ 1. You won't get top dollar here but this place is an efficient way to reach buyers who will be paying to pay a reasonable price. The C&V transactions forum is pretty easy going in my experience and it costs all of $10 to join per year I believe.
Old 11-08-16, 01:49 PM
karelb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks to all who have offered their advice in this forum. I appreciate the insights and suggestions.
I've listed the bikes on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area, to start with.
Old 11-08-16, 02:32 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 101 Posts
Nice bikes. Good luck with the sale.
Old 11-08-16, 02:48 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by karelb
Many thanks to all who have offered their advice in this forum. I appreciate the insights and suggestions.
I've listed the bikes on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area, to start with.
FWIW, and I don't know what your motivations are in terms of effort vs. maximized sales price, bikes like this are unlikely to sell for anything approaching their potential value on Craigslist.
Old 11-08-16, 05:34 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think these bikes first surfaced in BF 3 years ago, and Mary in San Francisco was looking for opinions to their worth. I stopped by to take a look, and suggested that they would probably sell around $1000 (each) as they sit. If anything, the market has come down since. They both have rust issues which looks worse now (poor storage?). The Galmozzi was a beautiful salmon pink, IIRC.
Old 11-08-16, 11:49 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Suspect that figure is seriously off, rust or not.
Old 11-13-16, 11:59 PM
karelb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again to all who have offered advice. Metin, these are the same bikes you mention, and offered by the same owner. In fact, we tried to contact you again via email this week. To clarify, they were my dad's, who purchased them both new from Velosport in Berkeley in the early 1970s. Mary was his wife. They were ridden fewer than 500 miles, and stored since. They have all original paint and Campy Record components. They have some light salt and peppering of rust on the chrome fork crown and the toe clips, and a few paint scratches, and part of the Galmozzi decal is worn. The Pogliaghi has been sold to someone who was very pleased with the condition of the bike - the frame, in particular. The Galmozzi is still looking for a new home. 59cm.
Old 06-07-19, 04:43 PM
karelb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I had listed these two bikes for sale in 2016, and didn't see that you had asked where I'm located. I'm in Seattle. I have sold the Pogliaghi, but I still have the Galmozzi, and am again interested in selling it. Do you have any suggestions regarding local vintage bike enthusiasts, by any chance?

Thanks, Karel
Old 06-10-19, 02:39 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Hi - I had listed these two bikes for sale in 2016, and didn't see that you had asked where I'm located. I'm in Seattle. I have sold the Pogliaghi, but I still have the Galmozzi, and am again interested in selling it. Do you have any suggestions regarding local vintage bike enthusiasts, by any chance?

Thanks, Karel
We still need more and way better pics, get your post count up if you want more help. As also stated the market has softened a lot so the rooster will bring less now, probably a lot less if the "patina" has escalated.
Old 06-10-19, 03:13 PM
karelb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
We still need more and way better pics, get your post count up if you want more help. As also stated the market has softened a lot so the rooster will bring less now, probably a lot less if the "patina" has escalated.
Hi - I've listed the bike for sale in the vintage marketplace forum, with more details and photos included. The bike is in good shape, and has been well stored, so no additional patina issues. I don't know what's entailed in getting my post count up. What do you suggest?
Old 06-10-19, 05:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Hi - I've listed the bike for sale in the vintage marketplace forum, with more details and photos included. The bike is in good shape, and has been well stored, so no additional patina issues. I don't know what's entailed in getting my post count up. What do you suggest?
Go around, say Hi and or comment on several more threads, sometimes takes a couple days.
Old 06-10-19, 05:03 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I don't know what's entailed in getting my post count up. What do you suggest?
Just go into a post and make a comment... something like "nice bike", etc.
Old 06-10-19, 08:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/1175...70s-model.html