Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

AG hubs + 177 mm. axle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

AG hubs + 177 mm. axle

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 06:48 PM
martial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AG hubs + 177 mm. axle

Project: Fit a S-A AG Dynohub to my 28" Raleigh DL-1 clone.

Problem: Need a 177 mm. axle, but pre-NIG S-A’s have 163 mm. axles at the longest.

Hypothesis: An HSA-808 177mm. axle (originally for the S-A XL-RD3 hub) will fit the AG hub with an HSA-316 indicator. No further adjustment necessary.

I have asked SJS Cycles whether the HSA-808 would work. They do not know (see the product page on SJ Cycles for the HSA-808 [I cannot yet post URL’s on this forum)---I am “Marshall”). The first problem I foresee is that I do not know the HSA-808’s dimensions; but, ssuming that the sun-pinion etc. will fit the inner workings of the AG hub, then the most obvious problem from the pictures of the axle is that the notch for the axle key is a little longer on the HSA-808 than a pre-NIG axle.

My question to anyone who might know is, first, whether you can say whether this project can work. Also, will a longer notch for the axle key hamper changing the gears?

Many thanks!