Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When did Blackburn MNT and Jandd racks start production

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-14-19, 05:14 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

Any one know when Blackburn and Jandd introduced the racks with the aluminum plate? I've got a mid '80s Schwinn High Sierra that I'm looking at putting a Blackburn MNT front rack on, with a visually similar Jandd rear rack. I was wondering if these are "period correct" for the mid 80's or did they come along latter?
Old 06-14-19, 06:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I don't know about Jannd but Blackburn's MTN racks appear in their advertisements as early as 1984. They may have been available even earlier but I started my search with a 1984 edition of Bicycling that I knew had an article on touring racks and there they were, in an advertisement accompanying the article. Since it met your criteria for vintage, I didn't search backwards from there.
Old 06-14-19, 06:19 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

This is the style of rack I was referring to. I'm guessing their more of a 90's item.

Old 06-14-19, 09:17 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
This is the style of rack I was referring to. I'm guessing their more of a 90's item.

I've never seen a Blackburn mtn rack with double stays and an extra attachment point like that. Would have required an extra custom set of braze ons. This particular mutant rack appears to be from the 90's, probably to fit one of the mutant MTB frames of the era with a swinging rear triangle or something.

The standard mountain racks with a top plate like that came out in 1983, as best as I can recall. It was soon after the Stumpjumper and competitors came out. I sold a lot of them at my high school LBS job. It was definitely not the 90s.
Old 06-14-19, 09:48 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I've never seen a Blackburn mtn rack with double stays and an extra attachment point like that. Would have required an extra custom set of braze ons. This particular mutant rack appears to be from the 90's, probably to fit one of the mutant MTB frames of the era with a swinging rear triangle or something.

The standard mountain racks with a top plate like that came out in 1983, as best as I can recall. It was soon after the Stumpjumper and competitors came out. I sold a lot of them at my high school LBS job. It was definitely not the 90s.
I believe the subject picture is for a front rack to used with standard dropout eyelets in conjunction with lo-rider eyelets.
Old 06-14-19, 10:15 AM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts

My bike has one. I also found them in late 80s touring bikes as well. They are incredibly well built.
Old 06-14-19, 11:53 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I believe the subject picture is for a front rack to used with standard dropout eyelets in conjunction with lo-rider eyelets.
Oh yeah, of course that's what it is, duh. I blame it on pre coffee brain.

I think the OP is asking about the mountain racks with the top plate in general.

Trivia: I remember that they came out at the same time or slightly before Blackburn stopped making their normal touring racks with fixed stays. They went to those twisted stainless adjustable stays for both road and mountain racks. I always assumed that they had developed the adjustable stays for the MTB racks, and then decided it was dumb to not use them for everything.

There was also the somewhat similar Rode rack, which predated the Blackburn MTB racks by at least a couple years.
Old 06-14-19, 02:47 PM
bark_eater 

Thanks for the confirmation. I think the touring style racks win on acetic's, but the plates on the mountain style might make up some for skipping fenders on this bike.
Old 06-14-19, 03:27 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder

My bike has one. I also found them in late 80s touring bikes as well. They are incredibly well built.

As is that bicycle. That is sweet!
Old 06-15-19, 10:06 AM
T-Mar

...I think the OP is asking about the mountain racks with the top plate in general...
Yes, that's what I took it to mean too, but Blackburn's MTN series of racks with the "load support platform" were available at least as early as 1984. Also, the platform was't used only the MTN racks. It was also on their Fastrak of the same period. IIRC, Rhode Gear's version was simply called the Rhode Rack.
Old 06-15-19, 03:04 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I had one of those Rhode Racks. Here's a snip from the 1981 Bikecology catalog on the Bulgier site. The Blackburns in the catalog are still without the shelf. The Rhode Rack wasn't very good, lots of sway back and forth and one of the struts snapped after a few months. Went and did what I should have in the first place, got a Blackburn.

Old 06-15-19, 04:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Thanks for the confirmation. I think the touring style racks win on acetic's, but the plates on the mountain style might make up some for skipping fenders on this bike.
MTN rack will only keep your butt dry at low speeds. Many of us in Portland back in the day would screw/bolt/duct tape extensions out the back to actually keep our butts dry. Plastic, wood, aluminum work, just 6" or so to get it out to about the rear edge of the tire and you'll stay fairly dry. Your feet will still get soaked, however.