Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need recommendations for my first fat bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 12-15-15, 04:57 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hey everyone. I want to get my first fat tire bike, somewhere between 3-4" with front forks, alum frame, hydraulic brakes and affordable.
I hoping that some of you know some great bikes at even greater prices.
I'm not brand loyal but don't want a Walmart special either.
Thanks

Last edited by NYMXer; 12-15-15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 06:21 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What's the budget? If you can afford it, the Fatback Rhino would be my first recommendation.

When it comes to fatbikes tires and wheels matter more than brakes. Decent fat tires will run you at least $100 a pop -and some cheap fatbikes come with absolutely atrocious tires.
Old 12-15-15, 06:59 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This is sort of what I have in mind

Specialized Bicycle Components
Old 12-15-15, 07:19 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd go with the Fatback Rhino, which would be similarly priced with better parts. But Fatback is local. I'd also look at the Rocky Mountain Blizzard in that price range.

I know people who have the Specialized Fatboy and are happy with it. I don't like Specialized as a brand, but they do make good bikes. I think they changed the rims this year, used to come with Specialized-branded DTSwiss rims they are something else now. Make sure they are tubeless compatible.
Old 12-15-15, 07:35 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
LBS has this for $2900... I like it

Old 12-15-15, 07:41 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it is the right size, that's a good deal.
Old 12-16-15, 07:27 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks FrozenK for your advice.
I'm off today and looking to buy the Specialized from my LBS, unless others chime in with other suggestions
Old 12-17-15, 04:36 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Salsa Bucksaw..

Salsa Cycles

Those fat undamped tires will bounce like a basket ball if you try for any speed going down hill....

gets real hairy. I got to ride that bucksaw,,wow It actually stayed on the ground, Imagine that !
Old 12-17-15, 05:05 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Salsa Bucksaw..

Salsa Cycles

Those fat undamped tires will bounce like a basket ball if you try for any speed going down hill....

gets real hairy. I got to ride that bucksaw,,wow It actually stayed on the ground, Imagine that !
I have been riding fatbikes since 2008, I have never experienced what you describe. Most of my fatbike riding is in the winter but even on dirt trails, or when snow gets packed and/or icy I have never felt the tires "bounce like a basketball." That seems like a symptom of running way too high pressures -and a regular bike with too high pressure will have the same problem. Fatbikes aren't all that different from hardtails. Just heavier and gripper wheels.
Old 12-17-15, 06:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://biz179.inmotionhosting.com/~b...5/02/15005.jpg
Framed Bikes

https://www.framedbikes.com/minnesota-series-dealers/
they're not made in MN of course ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-17-15 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-17-15, 07:13 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
This is sort of what I have in mind

Fatboy Trail is what I am riding and loving. It is just a blast. I feel like its a great bang for the buck as it includes the Bluto which I dont feel is a necessity but it does a nice job in dampening the front end. I may change my mind BUT I think I like this bike enough that I am going to sell my Epic and simply ride the Fatboy Trail year round. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask...

Old 12-18-15, 09:22 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have been looking at the Framed bikes but the mechanical disc has prevented me from buying one. I will be riding this bike at a pretty high level and pace, so good brake modulation is important to me.

Thanks for the input, it is about what I am looking for and I might still get one.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Old 12-18-15, 09:25 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Fatboy Trail is what I am riding and loving. It is just a blast. I feel like its a great bang for the buck as it includes the Bluto which I dont feel is a necessity but it does a nice job in dampening the front end. I may change my mind BUT I think I like this bike enough that I am going to sell my Epic and simply ride the Fatboy Trail year round. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask...
I really like the Specialized and the deal at $2.900 from my LBS. IT has some good components and extra's (dropper seat) that I will use while riding. Really, the bike is complete enough as equipped for me so no add on extra's to pay for, other than maybe the saddle.
Thanks for the help, have fun on those trails. Ohio has some nice ones, esp northern Ohio, eastern too
Old 12-18-15, 09:46 AM
garysol1 

I really like the Specialized and the deal at $2.900 from my LBS. IT has some good components and extra's (dropper seat) that I will use while riding. Really, the bike is complete enough as equipped for me so no add on extra's to pay for, other than maybe the saddle.
Thanks for the help, have fun on those trails. Ohio has some nice ones, esp northern Ohio, eastern too
Thanks but I am actually living in Western Michigan now. The trails are pretty excellent here to. As for the saddle it seems fine. I normally ride a Phenom on all my bikes and to my butt the Henge saddle feels close enough. If I had to criticize one aspect of the bike I suppose it would be the brakes. They are meh at best.
Old 12-18-15, 10:20 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
$2,900 isn't exactly an "affordable first fat bike". At least to me.

I just bought this one:
Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes Motobecane 2015 Boris The Evil Brut Sprung Shimano XT, Rockshox Equipped Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

Brand new model, came out last week, meets all of your specs for $1,000 less than what you'd pay elsewhere for a similar bike. I can see by your sig that you're not BD averse, their fat bikes are very popular over at mtbr.
Old 12-18-15, 10:34 AM
garysol1 

I really like the Specialized and the deal at $2.900 from my LBS.
You may want to double check on that. MSRP on the Fatboy Trail is $2,450 according to the Specialized website.
Old 12-18-15, 11:00 AM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He is looking at the Pro Trail which lists for $4,200 on the website he linked.
Old 12-18-15, 02:23 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by FrozenK
He is looking at the Pro Trail which lists for $4,200 on the website he linked.

He is also looking at the standard Trail model per post #3
Old 12-18-15, 05:38 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
You may want to double check on that. MSRP on the Fatboy Trail is $2,450 according to the Specialized website.
I was, well... still am considering the Fay Boy Trail Pro, here is the link. MSRP is $4,200 but there is a deal on them at 2,900 and now I can get it for $2,600 inc pedals. I think that is too good to turn down. I'm going back to the LBS tomorrow, but still like Hiro11's advice too. So many bikes, so little money, haha

Old 12-18-15, 08:14 PM
garysol1 

That is a heck of a deal!! I would look closely at how important it is to you to support a local bike shop that I assume helps promote cycling and trails in your community and how important having a local dealer is as far as customer support and warranty support. I will say that Specialized stands behind their products 100%
Old 12-18-15, 09:46 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Specialized has better parts (cranks, derailleurs) better tires. Plus support from a local shop. At that price I'd get the Specialized
Old 12-18-15, 10:44 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I tend to agree and might be able to post pics tomorrow, wish me luck!
Thanks peeps, I appreciate the input
Old 12-19-15, 05:38 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenK
I have been riding fatbikes since 2008, I have never experienced what you describe. Most of my fatbike riding is in the winter but even on dirt trails, or when snow gets packed and/or icy I have never felt the tires "bounce like a basketball." That seems like a symptom of running way too high pressures -and a regular bike with too high pressure will have the same problem. Fatbikes aren't all that different from hardtails. Just heavier and gripper wheels.
True In most cases on most trails..

But I ride pretty fast going down,, and we played with psi's till we found a sweet spot.
A little too much and bouncy bouncy,,, not quite enough and steering goes out the window,,that was pure terror..
we settled in the 12 to 13 psi range I think..

The Hard tail bike's rear tire barely touched the ground going down fast no matter what we did. It rode fine at sane speeds But I'm not too smart,, 'ADD' and all that. I didn't like it at all.

The Bucksaw,, now that was traction and control, pick a tall gear and pedal all the way down,
eyes tearing from the wind, white knuckle fear, possible death at the G-out, That was a fun ride I tell ya.
This one with the heavy wheel mass being damped both moving up and down we could run 15 psi for a much more controlled ride. But with no snow in my future I saw no need to have to pull such a heavy wheeled bike around,,my climbs were already real lung busters, getting 4" tires and wheels up the hill was not fun at all. I was just too glued to the ground.

Maybe It was lack of skill, I will admit my time of fatties is very limited.
But from my experience,,IMO fat bikes are nothing like Hard tails, not even close..

The Bike I'm drooling over,, my 'N+1' fix is this one:

I don't need a true fatty as I don't ever see snow. I want a mid fat because I have lots of sand and loose stuff..
I started on fast 2.1 wide tires, now on chunky 2.35" and am faster with no precieved increase in rolling resistance.
I think 2.8" would be a great thing ...

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 12:54 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And that's your problem. The only time I use 15psi is to sit tubeless tires. Most of the time I'm below 10psi. And that "it may work for you but I ride faster than you" jab, sorry but no. That doesn't work either.
Old 12-19-15, 01:39 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
From what I've read and talked with fat bike owners, tire pressure can totally change a bike's handling and ride quality. Most people set the tires between 6-9 PSI, some as low as 4 PSI, but no one ever mentioned that they go over 10.
It would seem logical to me that more PSI in the tires would induce the rebound effect osco53 was talking about. make no mistake, fat tire bikes can go fast, but as with anything, proper set up will deliver a more confident inspiring ride.
Part of the reason I want front forks is to make sure the front tire maintains contact with the ground.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.