Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Axel mounted trailer question

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 10-09-18, 12:32 AM
Baiku

Bikes: 1971 Brown Raleigh Superbe, 1972 Green Raleigh Superbe x2, Ikea Sladda bike, Giant Gravel bike, custom 29er, many others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got one of those Ikea Sladda trailers from my work. lovely looking trailer. issue I have is it mounts to axel. even though I have many bikes not many have axels with nuts on them. Can you put these on quick release wheeled bikes? right now the only bike that wants to fit them is my old Raleigh superbe.

Dont wanna rip my quick release head off and have a nice crash. so yeah if anyone else uses axel mounted trailers do you have a quick release wheel?

However ill give imput on trailer. it works pretty good. I pulled a load of scrap metal on it with a 1972 superbe and it did it no problem. there was close to max weight on trailer. the wheels rub the fender things under heavy load. but thats easly fixable by cutting the upper plastic mounting area down then useing a washer with the bolt that and mounting it to a bike. the rear hanger area needs to be flat though if your like me you can just make stuff to force it to work lol

Great price and quality though. I picked mine up really cheap in their discount area was brand new
Old 10-09-18, 04:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Red face

I have a Burly Alternative hitch , from the CoOp company era, it is the QR skewer on my Rohloff..CC.
now they offer an F shaped piece, the nut or QR end holds down..
Wike, a CDN trailer seems similar, they claim compatibility.

A 2 wheel trailer usually has an elastomer rubber connection between hitch and trailer tow bar

(Your Ikea has a spring, instead)

Burly its a flat piece with a hole through it for the pin, that goes through the hitch piece above and below it.

on the Thule - Chariot hitch, the elastomer is a ball on the end of the tow arm, the hitch is a socket,
once the ball is in the socket a pin closes the opening , so the ball is held in there.

these are the 2 trailers I own...

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-14-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 11:15 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,180 Posts
I've used probably a half-dozen trailers, on probably a dozen bikes, all with QR rear axLEs. Never had a problem. A QR skewer is no less strong than an old-school axle nut. Can you post a photo of your axle mount / hitch pin?

If you want to go without any hitch pin that stays on the bike, the "classic" Burley hitch fits into the rear triangle. It can be adapted to just about any trailer with a drawbar.

And as said, all two-wheel trailers have to have some sort of flex mechanism built into the hitch, to accommodate the bicycle leaning on turns. In an extreme situation, that part would most likely fail before anything else on the bike or trailer.
Old 12-25-18, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
...And Robert Axle Ptoject offers a way to pull a trailer with a through axle bike..
Old 12-27-18, 12:20 AM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I'd say check the www for bicycle hitches. There are many pictures and ideas. If you have to do any modifications you'll have an idea what and how.