Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 05-01-19, 09:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm really glad to hear from you. It all sounds much like mine (even the cold) except you're pushing yourself a lot harder. Be safe with your sternum... my surgeon went on a bit about it. You said you weren't symptomatic before, do you feel any improvement?

I went hard today but not because I really wanted to. I tried to catch a bike month kickoff event but it was really pushing it to make it home on time. So of course by the time they rolled out ten minutes after plan I was running late. I texted the nanny with my apologies and put the phone in a pocket on the pannier. A mile later I remembered to start my Strava - no phone. So I backtracked slowly against traffic for a mile and luckily found it, but now I was really late. Pushed really hard, hard as I have since I returned to work. Arrived home to a flooded backyard - I opened the filler on the pool this morning and the toilet valve that works it failed to stop filling it. And after my wife got home and I told her about all this she informed me it was the nanny's daughter's birthday. Adult daughter but still. Nanny gets an extra half hour and a big tip.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-02-19, 07:28 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
@Tundra_Man - Sounds like some pretty rough days there, but I'm glad to hear you're home and on a good path to recovery. Don't overdo it and know that time and rest are excellent healers.

A good morning ride in today for another 15 miles. Some wind slowed me down a bit.
Old 05-02-19, 07:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
This morning seemed like "Test the Cyclist" day on the road. Three blocks from home, a school bus turned right onto the street I was coming down, going wide and taking the whole dang street. Two blocks later on, a lady drives right into her parking place -- barely turning the steering wheel to make a right and left turn, without looking, of course. Couple miles on and it's a cement truck blocking four lanes getting ready to back into the construction site, followed by the trash pickup truck driving over to the left side of the road to stop, and I'm watching him thinking, "Do I need to go up this driveway to get away?" Not a block further, as I'm getting ready to turn left, the lady coming out of the stop sign... doesn't stop. Any one of those would be a regular once a week occurrence, or once every two weeks, but all in one day?

Compared to @tundra Man my complaints are minor, of course. And I survived this "skills course," so I guess I passed.

The last few miles were enough to decompress. Cool day but no unpleasantly so, high haze, and NO MORE CRAZY DRIVERS! Well, almost enough.
Old 05-02-19, 08:35 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
@Tundra_Man glad to hear from you. Take it easy and let your body recover... you don't want to over do it.

I rode 18 miles this morning. I was a touch late to clock in but it was so pretty and I felt good riding.
Old 05-02-19, 09:02 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
48F, gray
Old 05-02-19, 09:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
@Tundra_Man, thank you so much for weighing in. You are so brave and determined, it's an inspiration.

I was late for a bus to go upstate on Monday night. I took the trip only to vote in the special election for county executive where voter turnout was abysmal. I had to run for the bus. I never run, because my form is awful, and my joints are not conditioned for it. But I ran. And now my right knee hurts terribly. I rode yesterday, and it was very painful. I'm taking a rest today.

@rhm:

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-02-19, 09:50 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm really glad to hear from you. It all sounds much like mine (even the cold) except you're pushing yourself a lot harder. Be safe with your sternum... my surgeon went on a bit about it. You said you weren't symptomatic before, do you feel any improvement?
So far, I haven't noticed any improvement. In fact, right now during the recovery phase I'm losing my breath a lot faster than I used to. Perhaps once I'm completely healed I'll feel a difference, but it certainly hasn't been night and day like many people I've talked to have experienced.

I think that fact made day two after the surgery that much harder. I was in an incredible amount of pain and I had a hard time understanding why I allowed them to do this to me. However, now that I'm a week out and the pain is quite manageable I can understand that even though I wasn't symptomatic, the leaky valve was starting to damage my heart and I got it fixed before that damage made the problem that much worse. So in the long run the surgery was the right decision.

One difference I definitely notice is how my heart sounds. During those times at night when you can hear your heart beating, it used to be more of dull thud with a whooshing sound. Now it's a definite "wham" every time my heart beats, leaving no doubt that the valve has closed and isn't letting any blood flow backwards like it used to. I can also sometimes hear the "click" of the mechanical valve opening and closing, which isn't troublesome, just an interesting observance.
Old 05-02-19, 10:15 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Hang on there, Tundra_Man! I can’t give you any advice but to take it easy, day by day.
Old 05-02-19, 11:05 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Yes, @Tundra_Man, it's good to hear from you. Sounds like the worst is behind you...
@pdlamb, some days it just seems like karma has it out for you. Luckily some days feel like the opposite is happening...

I just checked the weather on my phone and saw an air quality warning, so I guess I'll be breathing in a lot of crap tonight.
Old 05-02-19, 03:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Almost traction-rolled the trike this morning. So much for, "won't fall over." Gotta start wearing a helmet with it after all
Old 05-02-19, 03:35 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
First commute in a week. Hurt my foot last Thursday, worked from home on Friday, and friends and family offered me rides Monday thru yesterday, and since it rained all 3 days I didn’t see any sense in declining the rides. Foot is better, knees were starting to feel a little funky after 7 days of basically no riding. Muggy today and a little rain but nice.
Old 05-03-19, 07:17 AM
mgw4jc

Misty clouds hanging low this morning. Enough to fog up my glasses and make me take them off for the last few miles.
Glad it's Friday!

I have to drive 500+ miles to western Kentucky this weekend. I'm meeting my wife's grandmother to pick up a miniature schnauzer puppy and bring it home. Then driving 500 miles back home. Not looking forward to that much driving as I haven't done a long trip like that for a long time. My rear and hamstrings get unhappy sitting for long times in a car.

But hey - PUPPY!
Old 05-03-19, 08:50 AM
pdlamb

It takes a certain amount of hope to get out of bed in the morning (either that, or the bladder's full). It takes some courage to get out on the roads with all the other traffic to go to work, and a certain amount of confidence in my skills to ride the bike in.

So what does it mean to ride the rain bike on a beautiful day just because the weather man says thunderstorms are likely this afternoon?

Showers came through overnight, cleared the air and cooled it down. Bright sun, hardly a cloud in the sky -- except maybe over to the southwest where they're building up? The other traffic was pretty well behaved as well -- it's a great day to be on the bike! (Even if it is the rain bike.)
Old 05-03-19, 06:21 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
well wife gave the okay for the me to ride extra tonight! I took her up on it. I took a ten mile commute and made it a 25.4 mile adventure. I rode some gravel and have to admit that my new bike is perfect for gravel riding. I can't wait to ride it without panniers and the extra weight.

ended the week with 137.9 miles -> not bad for four days of riding!
Old 05-06-19, 08:37 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Back on the bike after more than 2 weeks off playing nursemaid to my wife who had major surgery. I don't look forward to the first few rides after a few days off - was dreading this one after more than 2 weeks. Fortunately, the weather is nice (47 this morning and 70 predicted this afternoon) and I know I'll be back in the swing of it in a couple days. Looks like I even get a tailwind for the ride home!
Old 05-06-19, 08:53 AM
pdlamb

I miss getting snow down here, but today I didn't mind the climate.

Combination of Tenth of May cold spell and blackberry winter, I suppose, left me with a choice of long or short sleeve jersey. The weatherman says it'll be up to the 80s this afternoon, so short sleeve it was. I had to zip it all the way up, it was so chilly.

Quiet ride, and all the green grass and trees were peaceful. I'd do it again if my legs weren't telling me, "That's not a good idea after the weekend!"
Old 05-06-19, 10:06 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

55F and sunny. Remembered my keys, so I could get into the office (good thing, the guy I waited for last week to let me in is out sick today), but I forgot my computer. So, took a company car back home to get it. Now I am recombobulating and the week should be ready to begin.
Old 05-06-19, 10:32 AM
mgw4jc

Had a rental car to return this morning. Took both wheels off and fit the bike into the back seat. Enterprise is only about 1.5 miles from my office, but I managed to find a 3.25 mile route including a swing by the ATM.
Old 05-07-19, 06:27 AM
mgw4jc

The same minivan did the long honk as they passed, starting from way behind and not stopping until past me. I waved as they passed. I thought how it'd be funny if I could recognize them walking on the sidewalk sometime and I could just yell, "Hooooonnnnnnnkkk," as I passed them.
A nice morning for some miles on the bike. I left early enough to ride 16 miles, one of my longest rides this year.
Old 05-07-19, 07:52 AM
pdlamb

Traffic karma caught up with me today. For every unexpected green light I've hit in the last week or two, I think I hit a red today, or had to wait for a long line of traffic to turn.

Nevertheless, it was clear, sunny, and after I escaped the traffic mess, the last third of ride turned out OK!
Old 05-07-19, 08:12 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I can tell it's Spring by the number of people on the trails who have no sense of anything around them. I guess that's the trade off for pleasant weather!
Old 05-07-19, 08:51 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Had to stay a little late at work last night, and 1st avenue was nearly deserted around 8:45pm, making for a really brisk and pleasant ride home.

Originally Posted by arsprod
I can tell it's Spring by the number of people on the trails who have no sense of anything around them. I guess that's the trade off for pleasant weather!
Exactly. It's finally warm enough to ditch the gloves and some other heavy clothing... and now there are people everywhere doing completely senseless things...
Old 05-07-19, 09:05 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

50F, sunny. Took a pretty direct route this morning. Extended detours both ways yesterday.
Old 05-07-19, 09:45 AM
Atvar
Shimano's Shaman

Bikes: TFCT Starion Class Hull n. 312 "Thunder Child" - Sport Touring & Utility

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hi everyone.

Glad to announce that I'm finally back on the streets, together with my faithful Thunder Child, after a prolonged and painful stop due to a medical condition.

Italy is back in the game.
Old 05-07-19, 11:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Called in to an early east-coast meeting before the kiddos got up, then did the school run with the preschooler. Came home and did a lazy ride into the office. https://www.strava.com/activities/2349232196

Welcome back, Atvar

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-07-19 at 11:31 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.