Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2019 -- Century & Double Century Challenge

Old 01-01-19, 07:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

This is the thread for those who will not be able to complete the 2019 Century-A-Month challenge ... or those who want to do 1, 2 or a several centuries this year at whatever time works for them ... or those who complete their first century this year ...

The Century-A-Month challenge requires that a cyclist ride at least one century (100 miles) in each month of the year. But sometimes because of weather, accidents, or other commitments riding a century in each month of the year becomes impossible. And sometimes people get into cycling long distances partway through the year, but would like to join a challenge for motivation.

Even if we can't participate in the CAM challenge, it's nice to have a place to log our centuries (100-mile rides) and double centuries (200-mile rides) throughout the year ... so here it is!

The challenge: Let's see how many centuries (100-mile rides), or longer rides, we can ride this year ... in any month of the year!!

Get ready ... get set ............... GO!!
Old 01-01-19, 07:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Don't forget to look at the 2019 -- Randonnees thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...andonnees.html

And if you're up for a Century-A-Month, check out that thread too:
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...onth-club.html
Old 05-18-19, 09:11 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts

Day started off with almost getting a cramp in my calf after waking up. Luckily it did not take and I was off at 7:30 AM heading for the flatness of Richmond BC.

The night before I decided I would take my 1984 Sequoia which I'd also ridden for my first metric century in last April's Pacific Populaire. I thought about using my 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15 or my 1990 Miyata 1000 LT but the handlebars on my Sequoia are just a bit higher than either of those other ones, probably because the frame is too big for me. Also the Sequoia is a bit lighter than either of the other two.

To make things easy for myself I just did 3 laps of the route through Richmond that was used for the Pacific Populaire. First it's flat like a pancake. Secondly, I have been through it once before so navigation wouldn't be difficult (although I almost went off course once).

Weather wise it was a great day. The mornings started slightly shady, the roads were dry so no fenders required. By at least around noon the sun was out but it never got too hot.

In terms of food, I ate
2 ham and cheese croissants
1 plain croissant
1 egg salad sandwich
3 granola bars
2 small clusters of grapes
2 cans of coke
3 bottles of water
2 cups of coffee
I did not throw up and I might have actually gained weight, but I am not certain. I had no bananas. I think I prefer grapes to bananas because grapes are bite sized but bananas are not.

I had a small portable radio to keep me company that I'd bought the day before, because I found after a few hours when it's just me and the voice in my head it gets annoying. Unfortunately the charge ran out at around the 60km mark. So I will definitely get one of those battery banks for next time.

At about the 130km mark I felt elated as that was the farthest I've ridden so far. But at that point I was heading west and there was a slight headwind, so I then started feeling slightly depressed. I alternated between feeling a bit giggly and wanting to cry uncle. Or alternatively just wanting to cry.

At my last pit stop at the Diplomat Bakery in Richmond, which was around km 140, I checked the time and looked at the results of the previous year's Canada Day Populaire. That was around 150 kms and it looked to me like the longest times were about 10 hours. I'd been out 9 hours at that point but I still had to finish my croissant and coffee and rest a bit. I hoped I could make it to 160km by 10 hours. I made it to km 158 with only 3 minutes left. Cruelly kms 159 and 160 were uphill. Oh well.

Made it back home after 10 hours 31 minutes, whereupon I made myself a lamb chop and ate it.

What would I do differently? I brought along a light jacket, a sweater, and an extra t shirt. I clearly did not need them. On the other hand I couldn't just chuck them on the way, so I ended up carrying them all day.

I am very glad I've completed my first Century ride and I hope to participate in the Canada Day Populaire in July. And if that goes well, then I hope I get a chance to do a 200km brevet later in the year.
Old 05-19-19, 02:46 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg

Day started off with almost getting a cramp in my calf after waking up. Luckily it did not take and I was off at 7:30 AM heading for the flatness of Richmond BC.

The night before I decided I would take my 1984 Sequoia which I'd also ridden for my first metric century in last April's Pacific Populaire. I thought about using my 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15 or my 1990 Miyata 1000 LT but the handlebars on my Sequoia are just a bit higher than either of those other ones, probably because the frame is too big for me. Also the Sequoia is a bit lighter than either of the other two.

To make things easy for myself I just did 3 laps of the route through Richmond that was used for the Pacific Populaire. First it's flat like a pancake. Secondly, I have been through it once before so navigation wouldn't be difficult (although I almost went off course once).

Weather wise it was a great day. The mornings started slightly shady, the roads were dry so no fenders required. By at least around noon the sun was out but it never got too hot.

In terms of food, I ate
2 ham and cheese croissants
1 plain croissant
1 egg salad sandwich
3 granola bars
2 small clusters of grapes
2 cans of coke
3 bottles of water
2 cups of coffee
I did not throw up and I might have actually gained weight, but I am not certain. I had no bananas. I think I prefer grapes to bananas because grapes are bite sized but bananas are not.

I had a small portable radio to keep me company that I'd bought the day before, because I found after a few hours when it's just me and the voice in my head it gets annoying. Unfortunately the charge ran out at around the 60km mark. So I will definitely get one of those battery banks for next time.

At about the 130km mark I felt elated as that was the farthest I've ridden so far. But at that point I was heading west and there was a slight headwind, so I then started feeling slightly depressed. I alternated between feeling a bit giggly and wanting to cry uncle. Or alternatively just wanting to cry.

At my last pit stop at the Diplomat Bakery in Richmond, which was around km 140, I checked the time and looked at the results of the previous year's Canada Day Populaire. That was around 150 kms and it looked to me like the longest times were about 10 hours. I'd been out 9 hours at that point but I still had to finish my croissant and coffee and rest a bit. I hoped I could make it to 160km by 10 hours. I made it to km 158 with only 3 minutes left. Cruelly kms 159 and 160 were uphill. Oh well.

Made it back home after 10 hours 31 minutes, whereupon I made myself a lamb chop and ate it.

What would I do differently? I brought along a light jacket, a sweater, and an extra t shirt. I clearly did not need them. On the other hand I couldn't just chuck them on the way, so I ended up carrying them all day.

I am very glad I've completed my first Century ride and I hope to participate in the Canada Day Populaire in July. And if that goes well, then I hope I get a chance to do a 200km brevet later in the year.
Just a big CONGRATULATIONS and
Old 06-18-19, 04:18 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I have already completed 3 centuries (+) this year, with my first double century planned for this coming Saturday. Following that, I have at least another 2 centuries planned before the end of summer (including Ride London, my first closed road event). Starting to get a bit jittery (but the good kind) for Saturday as it real now. Here's to hoping for a pre-sunset finish.
Old 06-18-19, 01:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I plan on 3 double centuries this week

Longest day is 270 miles. Not sure about that one. At least I'll be at the hotel for the free breakfast
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-19-19, 08:16 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Wednesday, June 19: I completed my second century of 2019; the first was on June 2. Both involved shorter (60 mile) small group (4 people) rides along with the ride to and from.

Today's ride was a beautiful, clear, sunny day in western Wisconsin, with temperatures in the mid-60s to high 70s F. The group portion was a recon ride for an event that will be held over Labor Day Weekend, featuring a number of the "monster climbs" of the Driftless Region (where a "monster" must have at least 400' vertical ascent and hit a grade of 14% or greater.) I'm currently testing out nutrition and hydration strategies in preparation for the Ride Across Wisconsin in August; I'm liking Tailwind Nutrition Endurance Fuel, though I think I'll need something more (perhaps something with protein.)

Since my "training" at the moment involves mixing short/fast rides with long/moderate rides, I'll certainly have a few more centuries this year! I think my next challenge might be a solo 200K (but on a route without monster climbs).
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 06-25-19, 08:02 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
This weekend, I completed my first double century. And we couldn't have had better conditions (well maybe it could have been a bit cooler). 206 miles, 9649 feet of climbing, 14.5mph average and 14:10 of riding. 700+ riders set off at sunrise from the Isle of Sheppey and traveled west towards Burnham-on-Sea with the hope of making it before the sun set. And I'm happy to say, we made it with 6 minutes to spare. At the halfway point it wasn't looking likely, but we somehow picked up speed on the hillier half of the route (most of the climbing was miles 163-193, biggest climb at 171). While everything hurt by the end, we had an amazing day and are already talking about next year and we've talked a few more people into it already.

The atmosphere of the day was incredible. While the ride was unsupported, there were numerous pubs, cafes, and bike shops along the way offering specials, opening early/closing late. The YMCA set up at various points along the route passing out lucozade to passing cyclists and setting up mini feed stations in lay-bys along the route for riders. They had several people riding for them for fundraising it turns out. Many riders had friends and family acting as support vehicles to meet them along the route for re-fueling, and anytime said support vehicles passed riders, there would be a load of cheering and words of encouragement shouted out the windows. There were teenagers in cheerleading outfits outside pubs, people in their gardens, and throngs of family/friends at the finish to get you through as the miles ticked by. An incredibly well organised event, the route was pretty spectacular, and while London was a bit nuts, we all survived.

Old 06-25-19, 02:09 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Congrats! That sounds like a fun day!
Old 09-16-19, 01:43 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st Century in a year

I finished my first century ride in a year. This one was important to me. Last October, I was rear-ended by a motorcyclist on my commute home from work. After 6 months of rehab and 4 months of training I finally hit 100 miles, in record time, too! I look forward to completing the CaM challenge next year!
Old 09-19-19, 08:40 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaelen
I finished my first century ride in a year. This one was important to me. Last October, I was rear-ended by a motorcyclist on my commute home from work. After 6 months of rehab and 4 months of training I finally hit 100 miles, in record time, too! I look forward to completing the CaM challenge next year!
Congrats on the ride and the recovery!

It's always fun to see the course route of that ride. Goes right through Burkburnett where I went to high school.

How was the weather this year? When I did it 3 years ago it was properly hot and windy.
Old 09-19-19, 09:35 AM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Congrats on the ride and the recovery!

It's always fun to see the course route of that ride. Goes right through Burkburnett where I went to high school.

How was the weather this year? When I did it 3 years ago it was properly hot and windy.
It was fairly mild for this part of Texas: partly cloudy, high of 95ish°F and the wind was maybe 10 mph from the south. All in all it was a lovely day for a bike ride!
Old 09-19-19, 09:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Good thread. Fall is coming to Iowa and soon it will be good weather to knock out a century or two or three before the really cold weather sets in. I've done 12 metric centuries so far this year but I have yet to do a 160 km ride this year.
Old 09-20-19, 05:24 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
30 centuries and 4 doubles so far this year. June was the busiest month, with 25 centuries and 2 doubles. Hope to get a few more of each before the year is out.
Old 09-20-19, 05:26 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaelen
Way to bounce back! Awesome!
Likes For gif4445:
Old 09-20-19, 05:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I'll be riding the Harvest Century Sunday. It's a very well done ride that's been going on for many years. They pick sweet roads to ride. It's not hard; relatively flat with a few hills to get you attention. I don't know this year's route but 2 years ago we crossed the Willamette Rive on the Canby Ferry. (It's a tough climb up from teh river to the surrounding land.)

Starts and ends in downtown Hillsboro a quick ride from the MAX station.

Ben