Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Review/Check My Build - Low-Trail Soma Fog Cutter

Old 02-19-19, 12:37 PM
perspiration
already soaked

Bikes: 2011 Surly Crosscheck, 2014 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingston
Totally up to you on how you want to deal with the shop, but I'd just have them move the light to the right location on the fender and cover the holes with a sticker. I have that same light on two bikes and use HVAC foil tape on the inside of the fender to hold the wires in place so the extra holes in the fender would have no effect on the functionality of the fender. Of course that's easy for me to say. I would have installed the fenders myself so would only have myself to blame if something was screwed up. There are several things I would have done differently on that fender installation.
Having ridden the bike a bit now I don't have much of an issue with the functionality of the fenders, but the mud flaps will be going on very soon. Not to make my fenders "How Kingston Woulda Done It" but is there anything here that's not preference but actually sub-optimal installation methods? One thing I see is the stays on the rear fender going to the higher eyelet rather than the one by the axle.

*edit* - For reference I have installed a few fenders myself but always done a pretty basic job, so these are my first real fancy fenders with real fancy attachments etc.
Old 02-19-19, 01:30 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by perspiration
Having ridden the bike a bit now I don't have much of an issue with the functionality of the fenders, but the mud flaps will be going on very soon. Not to make my fenders "How Kingston Woulda Done It" but is there anything here that's not preference but actually sub-optimal installation methods? One thing I see is the stays on the rear fender going to the higher eyelet rather than the one by the axle.

*edit* - For reference I have installed a few fenders myself but always done a pretty basic job, so these are my first real fancy fenders with real fancy attachments etc.
Great looking bike! I like the red-silver-black combo.

I agree that the rear fender stay looks a little different, but does it really effect functionality?

How do you like the feel and flavor of this bike? I've been interested in the Fog Cutter frame for awhile. Do you notice any frame flex or does it feel stout?
Old 02-19-19, 01:39 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts

The bike looks awesome and other than the light, there is nothing sub-optimal about the functionality of the way they installed the fenders. The only reason I mentioned anything is in case you decide to have the rear fender replaced, I think it would look better if they used the lower eyelet for the rear fender stay and kept it parallel to the chainstay like it is. I also prefer to have my front stay to line up with the bottom bracket. Obviously nothing wrong with where you have it.
Old 02-19-19, 01:59 PM
perspiration
already soaked

Bikes: 2011 Surly Crosscheck, 2014 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool, thanks guys. The shop is gonna do right on the rear fender and correct installation with a new rear fender, which is nice of them. I wouldn't have minded putting a sticker over it, but for the price....it should be done right.

Originally Posted by jlaw
How do you like the feel and flavor of this bike? I've been interested in the Fog Cutter frame for awhile. Do you notice any frame flex or does it feel stout?
I'm still trying to get more miles on it, commuted in this morning with a backpack on. Compared to my Cross Check, I can definitely tell there's a difference on the low trail side - it's like the bike doesn't "intuitively" turn by hip-checking at low speeds. I have to sort of consciously turn the handlebars, right now at least. I think this is what folks say when they talk about it being stable at low speeds, but there's some difference here in handling that I'm still trying to figure out. It feels sort of like a nimble touring bike up until 17-18mph, and then it becomes quite lively. It accelerates quickly and holds up strongly to me standing and pedaling on it. I'm not so sure about "planing" but climbing the big hill this morning felt easier than on my Cross Check. The fat tires at 40psi are a godspend after my Schwalbe 32s at 90 psi. The 40/26 cranks with 11-32 cassette seems just right for now. Haven't had to use the bailout gear yet, which is good. I don't regret the extra money on the hydraulic brakes whatsoever, they feel amazing and will only get better as they break in a bit. Still not sure about the Cambium seat but there's some fitment left to be done overall, so jury's out. It seems comfortable but sort of pinches a sitbone at certain angles.

Overall I'm quite happy with it and will report back after some longer rides. It is gorgeous and I can't wait to cut the stem down so it finally looks complete
Old 02-19-19, 02:48 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

...The 40/26 cranks with 11-32 cassette seems just right for now...
So those sugino chainrings work with your 11 speed chain? Good to know. I thought the were only good up to 9 speeds.
Old 02-19-19, 02:52 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
FWIW I couldn't really handle the cambium and I gave it way too much time before giving up on. It doesn't get any better with time in my experience.
Old 09-24-19, 08:47 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Nice build! I saw this thread and the wordpress blog: https://drandalls.wordpress.com/2019...cutter-update/

I'm considering a Fog Cutter as my next build. BB7 disc brakes and Shimano 105 R7000 groupset. I'd also like to run a front rack and rando bag, but I'm wondering if the CroMo fork that Soma now offers would be suitable in place of the low trail fork? Not sure if it is any better/worse than the Fog Cutter carbon fork. I'm not sure if this CroMo fork existed when you built up your Fog Cutter, and I can't find much info about it.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...rch=fog+cutter

Or should I just consider a Double Cross? Hmmm...
Old 09-27-19, 11:18 AM
Smitty2k1

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
That's my blog. I have a Double Cross Disc as well, I suspect it's built with a slightly different tubing/butting mix as it is a stiffer riding frame/fork.

The steel Soma Fog Cutter fork is a fine option for a mid-trail build. Since there is 43mm or 48mm rake you can fine-tune for a build that you plan to ride entirely unloaded (43mm) or split the difference and have a build that works pretty good unloaded and loaded as well (48mm). The steel fork is more comfortable for most riding, but they tend to transmit a little more of the very high-frequency road surface noise, unlike the carbon fork. Tradeoff is much better compliance on bumps and rough roads, lower cost as well as front load ability. Mid-trail is fine for a front rack or rando bag, I rode my Double Cross Disc (60mm trail) with a moderate front load and in comparison to the low-trail Fog Cutter it's a little more wandering during very slow seated climbing and not as easy to turn but generally fine, even on rides up to 200k.

So any of the five forks would be an ok choice as would the Double Cross, but I think the low-trail + Fog Cutter combo is best.
Wow thanks for the incredibly detailed reply! I'm looking to N+1 with my current daily commuter/weekend ride, Jamis Aurora Elite touring bike. I want my next bike to be a little bit more long distance and speed dedicated but still practical (hence the ability to carry a rando bag with my daily needs or some groceries). Will still probably do most of my commuting and grocery shopping (and definitely all my bike camping) on the Aurora Elite.

Both the Double Cross and Fog Cutter seem like they would fit the bill, and honestly the two bikes seem like they overlap in use cases quite a bit. Any comments one vs. the other to pair with a touring bike? We have very little dirt/gravel trails around here and mostly pavement, which is why I was primarily looking at the Fog Cutter as it seemed slightly more pavement dedicated.

That said, I'm going in for a professional bike fit soon both to work out some fit issues on my current ride and get some ideal geometry for my next ride. Maybe the results of that will point me at one frame or another.

Also mulling over an All City Space Horse, All City Cosmic Stallion ($$$), Surly Straggler, Surly Midnight Special, Kona Rove ST, Velo Orange Polyvalent, Velo Orange Pass Hunter (not yet released) as other readily available frame options. Keeping my eyes open for others as well in the all road disc category under $850 for frame and fork. Not convinced on 650b only frames, seems like the flexibility of 700c/650b is better for only owning 2 bikes.
Old 09-27-19, 12:00 PM
Smitty2k1

For your use case, the Fog Cutter is the way to go. Or the Black Mountain Cycles Road +.

The VO Polyvalent and Pass Hunter are both touring style bikes with relatively stiff and heavy frames. Especially the new Pass Hunter with OS headtube/steerer/fork legs is going to be a very stiff ride. VO has been revising designs to pass more rigorous testing standards and this is leading to poorly riding framesets, IMO. Same thing happened to gravel/cross between 2015/2016 model year. You want a good ride, stick to 1 1/8 steerers/headtubes.
Damn, now I need to research BMC! Haha, thanks again for the all the info dude.
Old 09-28-19, 03:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
The VO Polyvalent and Pass Hunter are both touring style bikes with relatively stiff and heavy frames. Especially the new Pass Hunter with OS headtube/steerer/fork legs is going to be a very stiff ride. VO has been revising designs to pass more rigorous testing standards and this is leading to poorly riding framesets, IMO. Same thing happened to gravel/cross between 2015/2016 model year. You want a good ride, stick to 1 1/8 steerers/headtubes.
I am quite happy with my older Velo Orange Pass Hunter, it is the rim (canti) brake version, bought it in Dec 2015 and built it up in 2016. But when I looked at the next version of the Pass Hunter, I am really happy I got mine when I did. More on the new one here:
https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/201...rototypes.html

Note on that website they say that the new one will clear 700c X 28 with fenders, I am running 32mm tires with fenders on my older canti brake version of the Pass Hunter.

I would have appreciated it if they put mid-fork rack mounts on my older canti brake version, they did not. They do on the next iteration, that is the only thing I see that I think is an improvement on the next version.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-28-19 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 05:19 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

@Smitty2k1 I'm all for acquiring new bikes for no good reason, but I can't quite figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your next bike. I have a 2012 Jamis Auora Elite that I have ridden on a lot of brevets including a 1200k, and it sounds like everything you are looking for in your next bike you already have with the Jamis. What am I missing? Is it just the front rack/bag? Wider tires?
Old 09-28-19, 06:33 PM
Smitty2k1

Originally Posted by kingston
@Smitty2k1 I'm all for acquiring new bikes for no good reason, but I can't quite figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your next bike. I have a 2012 Jamis Auora Elite that I have ridden on a lot of brevets including a 1200k, and it sounds like everything you are looking for in your next bike you already have with the Jamis. What am I missing? Is it just the front rack/bag? Wider tires?
I'm a full time year round bike commuter and don't own a car so all my grocery shopping etc. is done by bike. I'd like to keep the Aurora Elite for the day to day (and bike camping) and build up something a little more dedicated for group rides, events, and general road riding for fun and fitness.
Old 09-29-19, 05:52 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Fog cutter seems to me like a slightly different version of the bike you already have. For a steel group-ride/fitness road bike, I'd be looking for lightweight tubing, rim brakes, and clearance for 25c tires built up with campagnolo something-or-other. I have found that disk brakes and wide tires are overkill for me on a dedicated road bike.