Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Domestique

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 06:12 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
There is a pretty clear line between mechanical and electronics.

I was an electro-mechanical engineer - and well, folks didn't get that.

There is a cultural sports philosophy here. Precision, exactness, getting it right - vs the unknown, human error and randomness.
The NFL CAN be the former because of the money and the camera and technology. Cycling cannot be. There is a lot of randomness from flat tires, to crashes to ... . For the most part pro races are 4 boring hours influenced by the use of electronics with some racing in the final hour which is the exciting stuff - having less electronic use. Without electronics, riders can escape and hide (most races don't have the choppers). Riders have to guess if they can attack and maintain. They have to learn to shift well. Sometime they will find they can do better than their training-with-power plan, and sometimes worse. They have to communicate with their team in non obvious ways and learn to better read the other riders - teammates and opponents. It just makes it all less predictable.
Great Post! So true about bike racing.
Old 04-03-19, 11:10 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Without electronics, riders can escape and hide (most races don't have the choppers). Riders have to guess if they can attack and maintain. They have to learn to shift well. Sometime they will find they can do better than their training-with-power plan, and sometimes worse. They have to communicate with their team in non obvious ways and learn to better read the other riders - teammates and opponents. It just makes it all less predictable.
Nothing stops the best riders from doing that now, and they do. Electronics are an aid, not a substitute for experience, instinct, intellect, and strategy. All the technology in the world doesn't stop a brilliant rider from winning. Consider Peter Sagan - he's instinct on parade, regardless of technology. The teams that dominate the sport are dominating through hiring solid riders, training them, and using winning strategies.

For that matter, pay more attention to the one day classics and races other than the TdF. It's very fashionable to complain that Sky dominates, but look at the churn in smaller races. Look at Geraint Thomas's 2018 win. Consider Froome's incredible solo win in the 2018 Giro. Look at the Quickstep leadout train.

Racing is still very much a race. There may be a formula for winning the TdF, but that doesn't mean 200 racers are going to stick to the plan.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-03-19, 11:19 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Nothing stops the best riders from doing that now, and they do. Electronics are an aid, not a substitute for experience, instinct, intellect, and strategy. All the technology in the world doesn't stop a brilliant rider from winning. Consider Peter Sagan - he's instinct on parade, regardless of technology. The teams that dominate the sport are dominating through hiring solid riders, training them, and using winning strategies.

For that matter, pay more attention to the one day classics and races other than the TdF. It's very fashionable to complain that Sky dominates, but look at the churn in smaller races. Look at Geraint Thomas's 2018 win. Consider Froome's incredible solo win in the 2018 Giro. Look at the Quickstep leadout train.

Racing is still very much a race. There may be a formula for winning the TdF, but that doesn't mean 200 racers are going to stick to the plan.
Sure. I agree and there are many exceptions. My feeling is more are looking at the guide and changing their behavior than before it existed. If nobody is responding to what the display says, either directly or via the coach, why have the display?

It might also be the fewer PEDs used has settled things down a bit.
Old 04-03-19, 11:35 AM
bbbean 

Sure. I agree and there are many exceptions. My feeling is more are looking at the guide and changing their behavior than before it existed. If nobody is responding to what the display says, either directly or via the coach, why have the display?
Who said anything about "nobody"? It's not an either/or question. You take the best technology and information available, throw in the best cyclists and coaches in the world, and race. No need to be all tech or no tech.

As an analogy, I enjoy riding my bike and I enjoy training. Nothing says any given ride can't accomplish training goals and still be a fun morning on the bike.

It might also be the fewer PEDs used has settled things down a bit.
That is entirely possible. The world is a different place than it was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 04-03-19, 12:00 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
... It's not an either/or question. You take the best technology and information available, throw in the best cyclists and coaches in the world, and race. No need to be all tech or no tech.

That is the point I think.

In a sport somebody - fans, officials, committees decide where the lines are.

-how far,many days, how steep, what mass and the parts, geometry

Deciding to disallow ABS or AWD in some race cars, as well as computer links is part of the "parts" part. It put winning more on the driver and less on the engineers and crew, although still important.

I see the, presumably, only legally drugged top athletes as amazingly close in ability. Add the electronics and the variability is even less.

I'm not up there with the Hunger Games in introducing purposeful hazards (but they understood the issue in the movie), but completely eliminating human aids would increase that variability and make the sport a bit more fun [for me] to watch. I would also enjoy races that are about speed and power and skill over endurance. I understand that is incredible work, planning and talent, to race that long - and win, but find 60 mile races more interesting than 120 mile races. When TV has an hour to fill to cover a race, they know the parts to focus on. those are the parts that are using electronics the least.
Old 04-03-19, 12:55 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

No radios needed. Other teams have not been willing to attack the Giant Elephant Sky Team.
Old 04-19-19, 06:07 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Hotel Domestique | Experience the pinnacle of fine living.

make a life out of finishing second

boggles my mind
Old 04-20-19, 01:01 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Yuppers

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
For some reason I hate the “Team Racing” concept of bicycle racing and the idea of the “Domestique”.

For me I would prefer that every rider rides for himself. If you are a great rider than show me how good you are. I think riding in the slipstream of teammates for 97% of the race and then having a few good days in the mountains or time trials is not proving much.

I do understand the financial hardships this could cause the lesser known riders who aren’t bringing in enough money for the costs associated with riding in the TDF.. Team concept makes sense for the financial side of the business. Maybe they could have one year out of every five years that teams are banned from the TDF.

Am I crazy for thinking this?
I agree 110% . The whole domestique thing sounds disgusting to me. Like a suck up😚... . The reason bike racing turns me off is all the blood doping in recent years of the supposedly "gifted" rider. Team work I can see but sacrificing yourself for an elite rider to win just kinda seems fake. So the elite is only as elite as the amount a domestique is willing to sacrifice himself .
Old 04-20-19, 01:14 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I guess bike racers need to watch the movie “Talladega Nights”
Old 04-20-19, 01:29 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,678 Posts
The domestique arrangement came about for one simple reason: professional bike racing is the hardest sport ever created, far harder than any other professional sports. Therefore, the most successful pro bike race teams are the teams where the domestiques ride most selflessly in support of the star rider. If you prefer other arrangements, you have plenty of other sports to follow.
Old 04-20-19, 08:49 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The domestique arrangement came about for one simple reason: professional bike racing is the hardest sport ever created, far harder than any other professional sports. Therefore, the most successful pro bike race teams are the teams where the domestiques ride most selflessly in support of the star rider. If you prefer other arrangements, you have plenty of other sports to follow.
Correct, then if the chosen champ wins is he winning because of the domestique. . So who is the champ, the chosen champ or the other guy?
Old 04-22-19, 10:54 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Team work I can see but sacrificing yourself for an elite rider to win just kinda seems fake. So the elite is only as elite as the amount a domestique is willing to sacrifice himself .
This to me is what makes bike racing tactics interesting. Road racing is not track and field, and it's not velodrome racing... and it sure as hell isn't NASCAR. I find those things boring. But when the domestique from one team goes with the break with the favorites in it and the protected rider stays in the pack - that is strategy. And if he can convince the riders in the break that he's not really a threat and then does a little less work, he might win. And if the protected rider is in the break and some other group tries to bridge and the domestique goes with them to foul things up... that's pro racing at its finest.

The fact that he can be the strongest, fastest, most protected rider on the best team with the best domestiques and still not win because somebody called his bluff or outsmarted him with smart use of his own domestiques... that's why I watch. Well, that and the scenery.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 04-22-19 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 01:18 PM
bbbean 

If only there was a discipline where it was one man against the clock in a test of just how fast he could ride a given course.,,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Ro...27s_time_trial

Old 04-23-19, 02:15 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Even more tactics in track racing. I enjoy watching the match sprints.
Old 04-24-19, 07:00 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Correct, then if the chosen champ wins is he winning because of the domestique. . So who is the champ, the chosen champ or the other guy?
Ask Geraint Thomas.

As as far as the glory, the first guy across the line gets to wear the jersey; but the Team structure traditionally says the winner splits the $$ with his lieutenants.
Short version: they help him win because they get paid to. They get paid more if he does win.

They’re professional bike racers. They’re doing for the money, not the ‘purity of the sport’

If you help your guy win a lot, some other team might offer you more money to help their guy win.
Old 04-24-19, 08:31 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Something just doesn’t seem right about playing and working not to win.
Old 04-25-19, 08:48 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Is an offensive tackle not playing to win because he doesn't score touchdowns? (or for fans of football, why is there a goalie who isn't expected to score goals and help the team win?)
Old 04-25-19, 02:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Is an offensive tackle not playing to win because he doesn't score touchdowns? (or for fans of football, why is there a goalie who isn't expected to score goals and help the team win?)
I’m starting to fear that my whole professional career will be a meaningless waste since I’m not aiming to become CEO... 😉

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-25-19 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 02:38 PM
bbbean 

New to the concept of team sports?

Out of curiosity, do you race? FWIW, there are two kinds of races that are especially satisfying. The most obvious is one that ends with you standing on the podium. What you're apparently missing is that it is also very satisfying to make a strategy come together and put one of your teammates on the podium. That counts as winning, too. It requires a lot more than just being fast on the bike.

Old 04-25-19, 05:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think OP's confusion (and I'm trying to be generous) stems from the fact that bike racing is a team sport that appears on the surface to be an individual sport.
Old 04-25-19, 11:04 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
New to the concept of team sports?

Out of curiosity, do you race? FWIW, there are two kinds of races that are especially satisfying. The most obvious is one that ends with you standing on the podium. What you're apparently missing is that it is also very satisfying to make a strategy come together and put one of your teammates on the podium. That counts as winning, too. It requires a lot more than just being fast on the bike.
(Not just to you, bbbean , but to all the well meaning explainers on this thread)

Give up. There's something about this that Rajflyboy can't or doesn't want to understand and no amount of explanation is going to change that. He has a fantasy of how road racing should be that is not anchored in reality. It's harmless to let him fantasize and pointless to try to burst his make-believe bubble.
Old 04-26-19, 07:17 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by caloso
I think OP's confusion (and I'm trying to be generous) stems from the fact that bike racing is a team sport that appears on the surface to be an individual sport.

This

in America we aim to be first. Not second or third.
Old 04-26-19, 07:19 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by MinnMan
(Not just to you, bbbean , but to all the well meaning explainers on this thread)

Give up. There's something about this that Rajflyboy can't or doesn't want to understand and no amount of explanation is going to change that. He has a fantasy of how road racing should be that is not anchored in reality. It's harmless to let him fantasize and pointless to try to burst his make-believe bubble.
Say this to Greg Lemond
Old 04-26-19, 07:55 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

this guy didn’t need or get any help and he won

my kind of rider on a small team without much help or funding and he destroyed the field in the sprint
Old 04-27-19, 07:55 PM
bbbean 

this guy didn’t need or get any help and he won

my kind of rider on a small team without much help or funding and he destroyed the field in the sprint

Thanks for sharing your insightful observations. I look forward to reading more of your in depth race analyses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.