Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacement Disc Brake Pads

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 02:54 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Our tandem has Avid BB-7 mechanical disc brakes. I suspect that the rear pads are getting low.

Is any pad that fits that fine, or are there better/worse choices? I've never changed bike disc pads before; but I have done that lots and lots of times on various cars, and there certainly is a difference in quality. I want good ones.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 04-16-19, 06:34 PM
Rick

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts

KS-D270S If these look like your old ones this is what I would use. Sintered disc brake pads for maximum braking performance under extreme conditions. Less sensitive to brake fluid but disc wear and thermal loading is much higher compared to organic pads. If your old pads are not sintered. you will also need to make sure your rotors are hardened. I would think that a tandem would have sintered already and quality rotors but I would check anyway.
Old 04-21-19, 02:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used them on my single bike , and I'm in town , Wet winters, not descending mountains ..

Kool Stop organic compound was the 1st post OEM pads I bought, They're quiet wet & dry..

The Bike assembly factory installs the calipers with the pads the manufacturer fits in them ..

Once it's in your hands feel free to substitute whatever disc pad you desire..

Old 04-21-19, 09:51 PM
Rick

Sintered pads are recommended for a heavier rider. Having two people qualifies for that. With tandem use I would worry about organic pads glazing over.
Old 04-22-19, 11:45 AM
tandemdr

Bikes: Precision Tandem, Co-Motion Tandem, Co-Motion Klatch, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
EBC Gold seem to be preferred by most and have certainly passed the test of time. The HH suffix indicates having the "high durability sintered metal compound for longer life in arduous conditions."
https://www.precisiontandems.com/cat...bcgoldavid.jpg
Old 04-22-19, 01:30 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Sintered pads are recommended for a heavier rider. Having two people qualifies for that. With tandem use I would worry about organic pads glazing over.
I just went to sintered after a a week of organic. I switched the rear from rim brakes, which are my fave - except with the ENVE serrated rim track which I have - and hate.
Anyway I *think* the stock TRP organic were quieter and worked better. I didn't glaze them, but I tend not to brake. I replaced them before some hilly rides in Moab and the sintered are not working better, but I do like that they should not glaze as easily.
Old 04-24-19, 05:37 AM
EthanBixby

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just tried some new pads and rotors from DP brakes, whose background is in motorcycle brakes. So far, I am impressed with their product. DP Brakes This is on a Granite Tandem with Sram eTap Hydro, with about 4000+ miles with stock pads/rotors and then some other combinations.
Old 04-24-19, 10:50 AM
Rick

I own TRP Spires, TRP HY/RD and TRP Spyke disk brakes and an assortment of disk brake pads in organic, semi metallic and sintered. These were all failures. The Kool Stop sintered pads that came with the Paul Klampers work better than the EBC gold I tried. They don't glaze and they slow really well. I was ready to have cantilever studs welded on my bicycle frame and put Magura hs-33s on it so I could stop. The Paul setup is not flimsy like most or all of the other mechanical disk brakes on the market.
Old 05-01-19, 05:10 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EthanBixby
I just tried some new pads and rotors from DP brakes, whose background is in motorcycle brakes. So far, I am impressed with their product. DP Brakes This is on a Granite Tandem with Sram eTap Hydro, with about 4000+ miles with stock pads/rotors and then some other combinations.
I have run DP brakes in my KTM. Where did you locate them for bicycles? Each time I have checked, none were available.

Regarding Avid cable brakes, typically, Avid oem pads have worked best for us with EBC HH pads next best, but would like to switch to DP Dunlopads. I base this on having BB7m brakes on both our road tandem and Ventana mountain tandem. The mountain tandem requires hard use of the brakes, and the oem Avids work very good.
Old 05-01-19, 06:29 AM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I find the metallic pads stop better than organic. Cleaning the rotor with alcohol every few weeks also improves brake performance.
Old 05-06-19, 01:13 AM
EthanBixby

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
I have run DP brakes in my KTM. Where did you locate them for bicycles? Each time I have checked, none were available.

Regarding Avid cable brakes, typically, Avid oem pads have worked best for us with EBC HH pads next best, but would like to switch to DP Dunlopads. I base this on having BB7m brakes on both our road tandem and Ventana mountain tandem. The mountain tandem requires hard use of the brakes, and the oem Avids work very good.
Try these sites. I was able to purchase from the US distributor:
DP Brakes
Disc Brake Pads ? DP Brakes USA

Ethan
Old 05-07-19, 03:57 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EthanBixby
Try these sites. I was able to purchase from the US distributor:
DP Brakes
Disc Brake Pads ? DP Brakes USA

Ethan
When my spares of nee brake pads run low, I will give DP a look again.