Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sawdust on..7 gearbox, chains, and everywhere else

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-14-19, 06:46 AM
Crake

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

One of my tools dust collection bags failed, saw dust coated the entire garage. I used a high power leaf blower to get rid of must of it, there is a fine coat of dust on the the lubricated parts of the bikes (the saw dust that's sticking is powder sized).

Based on my zero knowledge of mike upkeep, If it was something else, I would spray a little WD40 on the cassette and chair, soak a cloth in WD40, wipe off as much as I could. Then wipe down all that stuff again with a rag damp with rubbing alcohol (like dissolves like). Give it 90min to dry/with (blast it with compressed air a few seconds at the start and end).

Good plan? bad plan.? too many steps? it hasnt been lubed or tuned up in exactly 2 years (but winterized for 20of those months) so the current lube is thick.
Old 06-14-19, 06:58 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Just clean it the way you normally do. The sawdust won't mess anything up. It actually may make the drivetrain quieter.
Old 06-14-19, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Just do your normal cleaning and lube habits. When my bikes in the garage and get sawdust on it, I just ride it.

Spend more time riding and less time fretting.
Old 06-14-19, 08:32 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Just clean it the way you normally do. The sawdust won't mess anything up. It actually may make the drivetrain quieter.
Ah, the old "sawdust in the transmission" car salesman trick.
Old 06-14-19, 09:27 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Crake
...WD40, wipe off as much as I could. Then wipe down all that stuff again with a rag damp with rubbing alcohol (like dissolves like).
Alcohol is not "like" WD40 and there's no need for it (or drying). Just get everything as clean as you want with the WD or petroleum solvent, the[n] lube as normal.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 06-14-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 09:46 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Ah, the old "sawdust in the transmission" car salesman trick.
I've heard of sawdust in the differential to quiet it down.Not sure if it actually works.
Old 06-14-19, 09:56 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I've heard of sawdust in the differential to quiet it down.Not sure if it actually works.
It works for a while, long enough to foist the car onto the unsuspecting buyer.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-14-19, 10:01 AM
Crake

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You people are giving me too much credit, what would be "normal cleaning" the dust/lube combo is identical to dark grey peanut butter.

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Alcohol is not "like" WD40 and there's no need for it (or drying). Just get everything as clean as you want with the WD or petroleum solvent, the lube as normal.

Isopropyl Alcohol is to remove WD-40

See rant bellow:
WD40 is a mix of alcohols, hydrocarbons(solvents, light oils, degreasers, petrochemicals, and cleansers, it may or may not be the right application for cleaning my bike chains ... but it should be removed before using a different lubricant (not just bikes). WD40 will thin out/displace/or break down some components of other lubricants i.e. anything teflon, acrylic or silicone based wont be able to stick to the surface at all, other petrochemicals will either sit on top of it or right under it depending on density, old timey bike oil (3-in 1) are perfectly miscible with WD40 but the end result is a thinner oil offering less or shorter protections. I dont know if the difference or letting it stay is significant but there definitely is a difference, and no one has done an exhaustive study to know for sure either way.
IsoP-Alcohol is both polar and non polar it can completely remove everything in WD40. Acetone works too. Ethanol, Methanol, Toleune, Ethyl acetate are polar, it can dissolve most of the stuff in WD40, but youd have to let it dry then wipe with water to get all of it (order doesnt matter).
Old 06-14-19, 12:01 PM
AnkleWork

You people are giving me too much credit, what would be "normal cleaning" the dust/lube combo is identical to dark grey peanut butter.

Isopropyl Alcohol is to remove WD-40

See rant bellow:
WD40 is a mix of alcohols, hydrocarbons(solvents, light oils, degreasers, petrochemicals, and cleansers, it may or may not be the right application for cleaning my bike chains ... but it should be removed before using a different lubricant (not just bikes). WD40 will thin out/displace/or break down some components of other lubricants i.e. anything teflon, acrylic or silicone based wont be able to stick to the surface at all, other petrochemicals will either sit on top of it or right under it depending on density, old timey bike oil (3-in 1) are perfectly miscible with WD40 but the end result is a thinner oil offering less or shorter protections. I dont know if the difference or letting it stay is significant but there definitely is a difference, and no one has done an exhaustive study to know for sure either way.
IsoP-Alcohol is both polar and non polar it can completely remove everything in WD40. Acetone works too. Ethanol, Methanol, Toleune, Ethyl acetate are polar, it can dissolve most of the stuff in WD40, but youd have to let it dry then wipe with water to get all of it (order doesnt matter).
Regardless of legend, there's no alcohol in WD40 according to the MSDS, also no reason to remove it from a chain according to the indicated uses.
Old 06-14-19, 12:17 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Sawdust is not abrasive, so a wipe and chain relube is all you need, if you want to do anything.
Old 06-15-19, 12:08 PM
Crake

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Regardless of legend, there's no alcohol in WD40 according to the MSDS, also no reason to remove it from a chain according to the indicated uses.

You may be right about WD40 not containing alcohol SDS lists "base oils", which usually dont have hydroxyl groups on them so probably none of the oils are alcohol. BUT, WD40 displaces water and degreases.

WD40 will break down or displace other lubricants. And left in small spaces it will start attracting dirt and become tacky, you shouldn't leave it in door hinges, or skateboard bearings, or on surfaces youll be applying silicone based products on. I dont have a clue if bike chain lubricants are affected. Bike lube is already very thin it may not matter at all.

I wouldn't leave WD40 on any surface I will be treating with something else (paint, lube, caulk, adhesives, etc). unless I was sure its safe.

Diluted Isopropanol will dissolve WD40 (other things will too, but IPA is probably the safest and most readily available thing to use)
Old 06-15-19, 12:09 PM
Crake

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
Sawdust is not abrasive, so a wipe and chain relube is all you need, if you want to do anything.

Good, simple, thank you
Old 06-17-19, 08:54 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

WD40 will break down or displace other lubricants. And left in small spaces it will start attracting dirt and become tacky, you shouldn't leave it in door hinges, or skateboard bearings, or on surfaces youll be applying silicone based products on. I dont have a clue if bike chain lubricants are affected. Bike lube is already very thin it may not matter at all.

I wouldn't leave WD40 on any surface I will be treating with something else (paint, lube, caulk, adhesives, etc). unless I was sure its safe.

Diluted Isopropanol will dissolve WD40 (other things will too, but IPA is probably the safest and most readily available thing to use)

Anytime lubes, especially WD-40 comes up, things get in to the weeds pretty quickly.
WD-40 works well for cleaning stuff because it's a very thin oil, that's why it breaks up grease-buildup. It has some lubricating properties, especially on rusty stuff, thanks to its' ability to 'creep' but, that 'thin' viscosity means it's no good for long-term lubrication or exposed surfaces.

I like it for 'degreasing' things that are going to be lubed again, like chains and cassettes (freewheels) since degreasers like acetone and isopropyl alcohol will often remove old lube farther in than new lube will reach.

As far as the original sawdust issue, i'd spray (WD-40), wipe off the buildup, and apply your choice of fresh chain lube. Then go ride your bike.
Concrete or plaster dust, i'd probably get more agressive, but a little bit of sawdust is pretty harmless.
Old 06-17-19, 12:18 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Sawdust...... a new dry lube is born!
Old 06-17-19, 01:08 PM
AnkleWork

I dont have a clue ...
Clue: water is not good for chains.

And what will you use to remove the water you applied with the diluted alcohol? WD40? [Haw!]
Old 06-17-19, 07:55 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Compare sawdust to what gets on the chain every time you ride in the rain, and you won't worry about sawdust.
Old 06-24-19, 11:01 AM
Crake

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clue: water is not good for chains.

And what will you use to remove the water you applied with the diluted alcohol? WD40? [Haw!]
Water mixed with alcohol will evaporate very quickly on its own.

BUT you can remove water from a surface with a paper towel, regular towel, rags, napkins, use a hair dryer, fan, compressed air. You don't need other chemicals to remove water.