Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

A Previous Folding Bike 'Handlepost' Recall

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-28-12, 11:31 PM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was checking-out the Tern Link P9 on Thor's website - my new next door neighbor at the beach has one (and really likes it) - while on the website I noticed something about a Dahon 'Handlepost' recall 3-4 yrs ago - world-wide.

Here's the info for the USA (11,500 bikes involved):

https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09214.html

There was a second process to determine if your "foreign" purchased Dahon was invloved.

Curious how they notified US owners, since Dahon's info likely depended on customers having returned the Warranty Cards...also, what percentage of the 11,500 owners responded to have their bikes fixed? Thor, do you know?

Lou
Old 10-29-12, 09:23 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldnt know that, all I know is that Dahon fixed all bikes in their stock immedeately before one bike was sold, and that they did a great job sending new stuff to dealers, who got reimbursed for their work changing everything they had in stock ...AND all the dealer customers who brought the bikes in. Notifications were send by Dahon for all the customers who filled out the warranty cards, and from all dealers who sold a bike with the questionable stem on it. Chances are that if somebody didnt fill out the card AND the selling dealer didnt infom the customer,AND the customer never was on the Internet, and and and that there are some odd ones still out there, in that case the dealers like me, will still rework the bikes wth new stems ...

But i bet not a whole lot of them are still out there ....

thor
Old 06-14-19, 05:30 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
I recently got a used one 2008 Curve on craigs list
Dahon listed it as one that got missed
Dahon and Thor great on replacing the stem quickly and without hassle, even at this late date
(Dahon used Thor to ship )
I am the kind of nerd that takes everything apart when I get (even my moto's , Esp my moto's)
So found the recall fast when in my get all the stats and stories phase of the teardown
They are out there

WTF this thing has Plastic head bearings!