Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Chains

Old 10-04-14, 05:28 PM
brighenne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I needed a new chain for my Dolan at Velo Sports Center and I asked the "world famous" Johnny W and Chas for a track bike shop. They sent me to Manhattan Beach and told me to drop their names and the guys would take care of me. I came out with Izumi Model 'V' gold track racing chain (NJS) (blessed by some Japanese Keirin racer / priest) paying list price for the chain but they did install it N/C. So add to the list of variables in chain selection the requirement of a referral.

In SoCal, you are what you drive AND what track chain you rock.
Do you happen to remember the name of the shop?
Old 11-14-14, 05:06 PM
sickz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
The specification table in this link gives "Pin Powers" of 200 to 350 kg. Any idea of a definition for "pin power"?
pins are usually the first component in chains to fail by sheering for the most part. (much like climbing caribiners, they'll fail at the pin for the gate hinge when overloaded)

the other big weak point is a chain connected via a rivet. often alignment is off just enough to stress the side plate when resetting the pin.

all in all, chains don't fail often. most efficient way to transfer power. iirc they're about 95% efficient in transferring power.
Old 11-14-14, 06:43 PM
Pantani98

Bikes: yes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running the Izumi V and have no complaints. It's super stiff and, as Carleton said, has the added bling. I do like the screw-pin master link as well. A bit pricey but I'd buy it again. I was surprised it is louder but you've just gotta run it loud and proud!
Old 11-17-14, 04:09 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a KMC S10 chain and love it. It's stainless steel, strong, super smooth, and super quiet. It's 1/8" and would highly recommend it to anyone out there. It's about.. 25 bucks.
Old 11-18-14, 03:32 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll need to check which KMC i'm running at the moment, but it is a KMC. As with WhatsYoCadence, i find it really quiet. I've had spectators comment on how quiet my bike is relative to others.
Old 11-19-14, 11:43 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Late to this but I've been running the KMC D101 gold for several years. Huge step up in design and build quality from their other 1/8" chains. Only problem I've had is finding extra master links. Like the Izumi it runs noisy unless you wax/teflon it. Like the Izumi it's very stiff.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 11-19-14 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-19-14, 05:35 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Late to this but I've been running the KMC D101 gold for several years. Huge step up in design and build quality from their other 1/8" chains. Only problem I've had is finding extra master links. Like the Izumi it runs noisy unless you wax/teflon it. Like the Izumi it's very stiff.
hey Ex- where are you getting these?

I'm a big fan of the Devil 101 but haven't been able to find them lately
Old 11-19-14, 06:55 PM
McRussellPants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it

Thats a bummer, love that chain. I swear you can actually feel how much stiffer it is than most 1/8 chains.
Old 11-19-14, 09:34 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The D101 has been discontinued, I think. I stocked up when I saw them on closeout. I had seen something about an X101 coming out as an improved version, but I don't know what the deal is with that.
Old 11-20-14, 10:42 PM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it

Looks like the X101 replaced the D101 - KMC track chain with bushings and about the same price
X101 Silver » KMC Chain
Old 11-21-14, 10:13 PM
FPC

Bikes: Cinelli Gazzetta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm ordering a pair of izumi ecos this week. Any other recommendations for chain lube/oil?
Old 11-22-14, 10:02 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by FPC
I'm ordering a pair of izumi ecos this week. Any other recommendations for chain lube/oil?
Dumonde Tech Lite. You can find it at most well-equipped bike shops.

Old 11-22-14, 10:11 AM
FPC

Bikes: Cinelli Gazzetta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool, thanks
Old 11-22-14, 01:49 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you poke around you can find a synopsis of the friction facts testing, but the dumonde didn't do that well. Pretty much anything with teflon does the same, which is faster than other drip type lubes by a tad. The differences are pretty small though, so I wouldn't worry about it much unless you're already at a pretty high level...in which case it's probably worth investing the money at friction facts.
Old 11-22-14, 03:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
If you poke around you can find a synopsis of the friction facts testing, but the dumonde didn't do that well. Pretty much anything with teflon does the same, which is faster than other drip type lubes by a tad. The differences are pretty small though, so I wouldn't worry about it much unless you're already at a pretty high level...in which case it's probably worth investing the money at friction facts.
Really? Ha. I didn't know that.
Old 12-17-14, 01:47 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Any thoughts on Wipperman track chains? I've got a solid local recommendation, but then I saw that their master link is like an 1/8" version of the road master links, and it looks a little fragile to me. Anyone tried them?
Old 12-17-14, 03:34 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
So, how did 3-in-1 oil do? That's what I use on my track chains, since I don't have to worry about rain. I use ProLink for my road bike chains.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-17-14, 03:45 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Any thoughts on Wipperman track chains? I've got a solid local recommendation, but then I saw that their master link is like an 1/8" version of the road master links, and it looks a little fragile to me. Anyone tried them?
KMC Master Link Chain Links > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Pins and Master Links | Jenson USA - Mobile
Old 12-17-14, 06:56 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wipped

they don't play very nice with some of my rings and cogs for some reason.
Old 12-17-14, 08:42 PM
Baby Puke

Hmm. Ok, thanks guys, guess I'll pass. Only thinking of changing cuz I've grown tired of the NJS screw and nut system. It's fiddley and after I while that link has a tendency to stick a little.
Old 12-17-14, 08:54 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
So, how did 3-in-1 oil do? That's what I use on my track chains, since I don't have to worry about rain. I use ProLink for my road bike chains.
Off the top of my head, 2-3 watts more lost then something with teflon in it, probably about the same as the dumonde stuff. Memory may be faulty though. If you're more than casually interested fifteen minutes of googling will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
Old 12-17-14, 08:58 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm. Ok, thanks guys, guess I'll pass. Only thinking of changing cuz I've grown tired of the NJS screw and nut system. It's fiddley and after I while that link has a tendency to stick a little.
I hated that Izumi Link!
I switched to a KMC(710sl?) with that Master i linked to above and ill never go back to the screw link...
Old 12-17-14, 09:11 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well, I like the Izumi V pretty well. A heavier lube like Phil Wood or motor oil keeps it quiet and stays reasonably clean, at least at the velodrome.

I still think the old Regina CX 1/8" chains were the best ever made, but I'm old and out of touch.

A couple of decades ago 3/32" was pretty standard for points and pursuit racing. I never had any trouble at all with them (and used $1 per foot Sedis chain that came off a big roll) and they were quieter and smoother than any 1/8" chain I ever used. Never had to borrow a chainring or cog...

And the word "multi" is misspelled in the "Qualities you don't want from a chain:" paragraph. Not that I expect any better from track racers.
Old 12-18-14, 09:17 PM
Baby Puke

Just ordered a pair of KMC K710SL's. I hope the Japanese will forgive me.
Old 12-19-14, 12:22 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
- The master link is your friend. Learn how to use it.
- Most (if not all) modern chains are NOT designed to have pins removed and re-added. USE THE MASTER LINK. Old-school chains were designed for this. Every chain failure that I know of personally was with a chain that had a pin removed and reinstalled. If you cut your chain too short, don't re-add the links.
On narrow road chains with a decent Master link design, like Wipperman, I fully embrace the link, but some new chains still do not come with Master Links, like KMC, so I naturally forego the Master Link and hard pin those chains. I haven't noticed a difference in failure rates, but when a chain with a Master Link fails it is normally the Master Link which fails, which would lead me to believe it is the weakest link. As a result, I'm not all that comfortable with the idea of using a Master Link on a track bike. (Hey, I might be overly cautious since I still use lock rings )

I also would be concerned about the braking force (not breaking force) working against some tension-based Master Links. Although the bolt-style Master Link design of the Izumi V Supertoughness, can't fail in a negative tension situation, I can't imagine myself trusting that little nut holding tight while I'm sprinting on a track. As a result, my Izumi V is hard pinned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.