Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brass bolt on cable guides and BB cable routing ideas

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 09:07 AM
Saxicola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm setting up a Crust Bombora in 2x. The frame is designed for 1x so there is no braze on for the FD. I've got a braze on adapter for the FD but need some nice ideas for cable routing. I'm using the Shimano GRX 810 FD which I believe has a housing stop. It's disc brake so I'll have 3 cables running underneath the downtube and under the BB. I'm looking for some nice ways to route those.

I've scoured the internet for brass cable guides and I cannot find them anywhere. Anyone know where I can find them? https://farm66.staticflickr.com/6553...2615dfd5_b.jpg

Some people e.g. Blue Lug who build these up have used a bent Surly cable hanger for routing / cable housing stop, shown here further down the page: https://bluelug.com/blog/kamiuma/crust-bombora/. The frame does have a hole in the BB but I believe I would need to tap that, which I can certainly do. Any other ideas? I really don't want to use those plastic cable guides on such a nice frame!

Brass cable guide I'm looking for

Surly hanger used for cable routing and housing stop
Old 04-18-24, 10:49 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
For some one with very basic fabbing skills and tooling making this kind of casing clamp should be fairly easy to make. Maybe not as sleek and minimal as the one shown... Andy
Old 04-18-24, 10:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
Best bet is to find some hobby machinist and a piece of brass stock because I don't think you're going to find anything like what you want commercially.
Honestly as far as esthetics, you generally cannot see the plastic ones unless you are really fixated on them anyway. Brass paint on the plastic one and a brass screw?
Old 04-18-24, 11:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6230 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
If you can befriend a person that is in the plating industry, then you can have a shiny aluminum clamp chemically anodized to a yellowish to goldish looking color. Or purple, green, black or several other colors.
Old 04-18-24, 12:56 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4441 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,042 Posts
That cable guide is not brass. Anodized aluminum.

You could make something by bending brass sheet and drilling.
Old 04-18-24, 07:22 PM
Saxicola

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I think I have some ideas. It's a shame that ceramic parts won't work on bikes, I'm a potter and could make all sorts of cool stuff if it wouldn't smash into a million pieces
Likes For Saxicola:
Old 04-18-24, 08:39 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4441 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Saxicola
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I think I have some ideas. It's a shame that ceramic parts won't work on bikes, I'm a potter and could make all sorts of cool stuff if it wouldn't smash into a million pieces
Use those materials, skills and kiln to make cast parts.
Likes For Kontact: