Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike share E-bikes are a game changer

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 12:03 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts

I finally got a chance to try out one of Chicago's Divvy (bike share) e-bikes today on my regular office commute route. What a huge difference that motor makes!
  • Previous 5 mile commute route on regular Divvy, with stops: 5mi = 25:33 (12.5mph avg)
  • Today's 5 mile commute on E-Divvy, with stops: 5mi = 19.47 (16mph avg)

On top of saving 5+ minutes on my already short commute time, I didn't even break a sweat. I could've easily done 10 or 15 miles at that same effort, and maintained the same speed with no more effort. A 15 mile commute in under an hour, no clothing change necessary! The e-assist makes headwinds and hills (not that we have those around here) totally disappear, and accelerating from stoplights feels amazingly easy. The bikes also have lock-to capability, so even if a dock is full (as they frequently are downtown during rush hours), I can lock it up to a regular bike rack for a small additional fee.

The only downside is that my ride cost me an extra $3.11, on top of my annual Divvy membership ($99). Cost-wise it's on-par with public transportation options, but in the COVID era I suspect these E-bikes will be very popular once we all start going back to the office.

My experience has me wondering if I should be investing in an e-cargo bike now. I am a bit limited on parking space, but would love to be able to easily ferry my daughter to/from school this way.
Old 10-01-20, 12:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Around here there are still a few but it seems like they've mostly been replaced with electric scooters, either smaller (push style) or multi-hp that can go city street speeds. No pedaling, either way. The scooters have a whole subculture of people who compete to pick them up and charge them for a buck or two

There has been some maneuvering about who owns them. I don't recall details but it was all about Uber.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-01-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 12:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Urban commuting is the only ebike use-case that makes any sense to me at all, but at over a thousand dollars a year, you're probably not much cheaper than a scooter depending on your parking situation.
Old 10-02-20, 07:23 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
...On top of saving 5+ minutes on my already short commute time, I didn't even break a sweat....My experience has me wondering if I should be investing in an e-cargo bike now.
If your goals are time-saving and less physical exertion, then an e-cargo bike may be for you. If you live within a 5-mile radius of Chicago's Loop, then you have to also consider the possibility of theft if you don;t have secure parking, preferably indoor also considering the elements, especially in winter. At least with the bike-share bike, security and maintenance are not issues for you.
Old 10-02-20, 08:20 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by BobbyG
If your goals are time-saving and less physical exertion, then an e-cargo bike may be for you. If you live within a 5-mile radius of Chicago's Loop, then you have to also consider the possibility of theft if you don;t have secure parking, preferably indoor also considering the elements, especially in winter. At least with the bike-share bike, security and maintenance are not issues for you.
All good points. I think my goal is really just less driving. Bike share is awesome for my solo commute, but I can't ride my kid to school or carry a load of groceries on one. I feel like if I'm buying a cargo bike I'd probably opt for an "E-bike" version, though at quick glance they are REALLY expensive.

The parking situation is a bit tricky. I have a two-car garage at home that I share with my next door neighbor. I can fit two regular road bikes behind my car (one above the other on the wall), but a cargo bike would be a tight squeeze. At my office I have an indoor bike room, so I could theoretically commute with a cargo bike and park it in there. I rarely ride my own bikes to the office, opting instead for bike-share for the exact reasons you list. Maintenance, theft and ease of parking. Even in my bike room I feel the need to lock up, and worry about leaving an expensive bike in there. I also love being able to trash a Divvy bike on a slushy/salty commute and never worry about cleaning.

There's also the reality of riding with a young kid in the winter as well. I don't really see myself loading a 5 year old into a cargo bike when it's snowing or 20 degrees, but I suppose even if I only got 9 months of use out of it, it might still be worth it.
Old 10-02-20, 08:33 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by kingston
Urban commuting is the only ebike use-case that makes any sense to me at all, but at over a thousand dollars a year, you're probably not much cheaper than a scooter depending on your parking situation.
I hadn't thought of the cost that way. $3 per ride x 2 = $6 per day. $30/wk x 50 weeks = $1500 a year, plus my $99 annual Divvy membership. That's a lot of money.

A privately owned e-scooter would be a cheaper option for commuting. I assume I could park one in my office building bike room. Does anyone ride these in the winter? Not necessarily in snow, but wondering how wet/salty roads would impact the electronics.

In reality, I'll probably just keep riding mostly regular Divvy bikes, but interesting to think of how these e-bikes/scooters expand options.
Old 10-02-20, 09:25 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
A privately owned e-scooter would be a cheaper option for commuting. I assume I could park one in my office building bike room. Does anyone ride these in the winter? Not necessarily in snow, but wondering how wet/salty roads would impact the electronics.
I was thinking gas scooter, but owning your own ebike is probably the cheapest option because you don't ever have to pay for license, insurance or parking. I have two gas scooters, and operating costs are a couple hundred dollars a year. If you can find a place to park it for free it's still way cheaper than the divvy e-bike surcharge, but you're always going to have the $99 divvy pass because it's so convenient to just ride someone else's bike from place to place.
Old 10-05-20, 06:33 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Or get a used mountain bike and add your own motor. I did that 7 years ago (on a road bike) and it cost me about $500 for the e-bike kit. I used it so much that I sold one of my cars.
It is addictive once you try it. Given you live somewhere flat, you don't really need much power or complexity - a small hub motor does just fine.
Old 10-05-20, 04:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I would get an e-cargo bike if I had an excuse. I love those things.

Are the Divvy bikes like NYC's Citi Bike bikes? Our bikes are tanks and weigh about 50 lbs. I can't average more than about 10 mph, so my hat is off to you for going so fast on Divvy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.