Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schrader-to-Presta valve adapter OR rim adapter??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Schrader-to-Presta valve adapter OR rim adapter??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 04:56 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
So you're saying that a skinny Presta valve sticking out through a larger Schrader rim hole is no big deal?
IME, no.
My only worry would be the side of the valve stem flopping around a bit in the larger hole, but maybe that's not an issue when the tube is fully inflated.
Once inflated, there is no obvious flopping around happening.
Given the failure reports, MAYBE a Presta-in-Schräder is easier to damage by rough handling while hand pumping.
Or maybe the pressurized tube pushing itself out and around the valve stem into the hole and outside the rim?
That is - strictly speaking - possible. But something that I after decades of riding what’s been at hand, have yet to experience.
Either I’ve had a lucky streak with rims and rim strips lasting decades. Or it’s really not important.
Nightmare scenario.
A flat is a flat. The reason for losing pressure has no influence on the immediate risk.
Old 10-18-20, 11:12 AM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
A flat is a flat. The reason for losing pressure has no influence on the immediate risk.
Uhh...sorry, but no. A sudden decompression through a major rent in the tube is very different to a pinhole leak's gradual deflation over several minutes. Very different effect on bicycle handling, especially if the front tire. I speak from personal experience.
Old 10-18-20, 11:14 AM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by GlennR
Seriously.... this is still being discussed?
Maybe if you summarize it all for us we can stop discussing. Otherwise, enjoy the debate!
Old 10-18-20, 11:51 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Just bought a new low-budget winter commuter (Giant Escape Disc). Wheels come with Schrader-valve rims and tubes. My other bike has Presta valve stems. My CO2 cartridge inflators only work with Presta.

So should I:

1. Buy a Schrader-to-Presta valve adapter that I screw on the Schrader valve stem when I need to re-inflate the tube after a flat repair...

OR

2. Convert my wheel rims to smaller Presta-size holes using a different adapter (it inserts into the larger Schrader-specific hole in the rim and makes it smaller for the Presta valve stem to fit snugly) and then switch to presto valve tubes, just like my other bike?

Buying a whole new wheel-set that is better and lighter (and has Presta valves rims) would be my preference, but it'll cost a whole lot more and I can't really justify the expense right now.
https://www.ebay.com/i/324011939688?...1ed96c681bf15f
Old 10-18-20, 11:53 AM
dabac

Uhh...sorry, but no. A sudden decompression through a major rent in the tube is very different to a pinhole leak's gradual deflation over several minutes. Very different effect on bicycle handling, especially if the front tire. I speak from personal experience.
Well, fine.
A SUDDEN flat is a sudden flat. There are other failure modes that will empty a tube just as fast as a herniating valve base. That failure mode does not add any new risk.
Old 10-18-20, 11:58 AM
dabac

2. Convert my wheel rims to smaller Presta-size holes using a different adapter (it inserts into the larger Schrader-specific hole in the rim and makes it smaller for the Presta valve stem to fit snugly) and then switch to presto valve tubes, just like my other bike?
If you go the adaptor route, keep in mind that it needs to go in the tire side layer of a double wall rim to protect against tube hernias.
Old 10-18-20, 01:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Back in a distant millennium, all good wheels were sewup and presta. Everything else was clincher and Schraeder. No overlap. Schraeder to presta adopters were common (so those with busted Silca puimps could walk to a gas station) but the reverse didn't exist. We used to make our own. For a completely sexist reason. We even called them "damsel in distress" adapters". For bailing out women with flats; it being a given they were riding clinchers.
Old 10-18-20, 01:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Does anybody slide an ordinary washer over a presta valve stem anymore? That was the common presta tube in a Schraeder rim solution 40 years ago. I'd bend the washer for fit nicely against the tube track of the rim and looking to make sure the out edge of the washer was smooth. I'd look for a thin near fender washer and grind two sides down to be a nice fit inside the rim.
Old 10-18-20, 03:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
#8[/URL] e44ad]Maybe if you summarize it all for us we can stop discussing. Otherwise, enjoy the debate!
I did in post #8 .

Here's your original post
Just bought a new low-budget winter commuter (Giant Escape Disc). Wheels come with Schrader-valve rims and tubes. My other bike has Presta valve stems. My CO2 cartridge inflators only work with Presta.
Here's my reply in post #8 .
I say spend the $15 and just buy a new CO2 head for a Schrader valve and call it a day.
You want a solution of just senseless BS?
Old 10-18-20, 08:03 PM
Helldorado

Well, fine.
A SUDDEN flat is a sudden flat. There are other failure modes that will empty a tube just as fast as a herniating valve base. That failure mode does not add any new risk.
At least you walked back you prior statement that "a flat is a flat." Bottom line: if using a small valve in a big wheel hole is likely to cause sudden decompression, it's a failure mode that is best avoided when possible.
Old 10-18-20, 08:04 PM
Helldorado

I did in post #8 .

Here's your original post

Here's my reply in post #8 .

You want a solution of just senseless BS?
Thanks, Will Do!
Old 10-18-20, 08:05 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
For the folks that find this to be such a complicated and contentious issue, it's a wonder how you even manage to ride a bike.
We got a live one here!
Old 10-18-20, 11:49 PM
dabac

At least you walked back you prior statement that "a flat is a flat." Bottom line: if using a small valve in a big wheel hole is likely to cause sudden decompression, it's a failure mode that is best avoided when possible.
My point was that as soon as you have an inflated tube, you also have the possibility of that tube deflating rapidly. It is a risk inherent to using inflated tubes.
You seemed to be saying that a tube deflating due to a valve/hole mismatch would somehow be different than a tube deflating rapidly through any other reason.

And I don’t think it’s a likely event. I’ve ridden 6000+ miles/year for decades on what’s been at hand and never had it happen.
I’ve snapped beads, split brake tracks, torn off valve stems due to tire creep, seen tubes with uneven wall thickness etc but never had that.
But sure, somewhere there may be a make/model rim that has a larger than average at the base of the stem, or a tube with a smaller than average reinforcement around the base that makes this possible.
If so, it will still bring you back to that with an inflated tube, rapid deflation is always possible.
It might be more embarrassing to crash out due to something you could have noticed and taken care of during tube/tire install as opposed to slicing your tire open on road debris. But it’s still the same risk of rapid deflation.

Last edited by dabac; 10-19-20 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-19-20, 09:00 PM
Helldorado

My point was that as soon as you have an inflated tube, you also have the possibility of that tube deflating rapidly. It is a risk inherent to using inflated tubes.
You seemed to be saying that a tube deflating due to a valve/hole mismatch would somehow be different than a tube deflating rapidly through any other reason.

And I don’t think it’s a likely event. I’ve ridden 6000+ miles/year for decades on what’s been at hand and never had it happen.
I’ve snapped beads, split brake tracks, torn off valve stems due to tire creep, seen tubes with uneven wall thickness etc but never had that.
But sure, somewhere there may be a make/model rim that has a larger than average at the base of the stem, or a tube with a smaller than average reinforcement around the base that makes this possible.
If so, it will still bring you back to that with an inflated tube, rapid deflation is always possible.
It might be more embarrassing to crash out due to something you could have noticed and taken care of during tube/tire install as opposed to slicing your tire open on road debris. But it’s still the same risk of rapid deflation.
Nope, you're parsing words again. You might as well argue that that seatbelts are of no value because a) there are plenty of other ways to die in a car crash with your seatbelt on, and b) it's never happened to you. You cannot simultaneously argue that a sudden decompressions is different and inherently more dangerous than slow deflation (you finally agree that this was true) AND that a sudden decompression from a burst tube that was protruding through a large valve hole is no big deal since similar sudden decompressions can happen for other reasons. Bottom line: it's about risk mitigation and reduction. Your anecdotal experience might give you reassurance, but it's just one guy's experience. Mechanically inflating a tube to high pressure with several mm of open rim around the valve can reasonably be expected to eventually erode the tube or the valve stem and produce a sudden decompression. Reducing that risk by matching the valve stem to correct rim hole is totally logical and reasonable.
Old 10-19-20, 11:52 PM
dabac

Nope, you're parsing words again. You might as well argue that that seatbelts are of no value because a) there are plenty of other ways to die in a car crash with your seatbelt on, and b) it's never happened to you. You cannot simultaneously argue that a sudden decompressions is different and inherently more dangerous than slow deflation (you finally agree that this was true) AND that a sudden decompression from a burst tube that was protruding through a large valve hole is no big deal since similar sudden decompressions can happen for other reasons. Bottom line: it's about risk mitigation and reduction. Your anecdotal experience might give you reassurance, but it's just one guy's experience. Mechanically inflating a tube to high pressure with several mm of open rim around the valve can reasonably be expected to eventually erode the tube or the valve stem and produce a sudden decompression. Reducing that risk by matching the valve stem to correct rim hole is totally logical and reasonable.
Let’s go back to the start:

You called the tube herniating through the valve hole a ”nightmare scenario”.
Do you then consider ALL reasons for rapid pressure loss ”nightmare scenarios”?

In that case, all is fine and I have no further argument.

To me it seemed like you singled out valve hole tube failures as being extra nasty, which is a distinction I can’t see.
And since blowouts as such are an unavoidable risk, I can’t see why you’d hold one reason above the others.
Old 10-20-20, 12:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My advice is to buy a new wheelset. You won’t be happy with any other suggestion.

It’ll only be a few hundred dollars, but with that investment comes the peace of mind that everything goes together as intended.

Besides, you will feel the extra weight of the current wheels with every pedal stroke.

John
Old 10-20-20, 07:39 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Phew, I'm not sure I'm glad that I waded through that discussion . Personally, I believe Presta valves are a better choice for bicycle tires. I like their "passive" function while inflating opposed the function of Schrader valves that require an "action" to both inflate and deflate. That said, I have several bikes and some have tubes with Presta valve'd wheels and some with Schrader valves. I will say I don't have any with one of each but from a practical point of view, having rims drilled for Schrader valves would have advantages. They would be compatible with both valve types and for those that worry about "herniation" or "rapid deflation" issues, the use of small washers and/or the threaded adaptors would ease their minds. If, while on an extended ride in an "unsophisticated" region (i.e. no Presta valve'd tubes at the local hardware store ), a tube with a Schrader valve would save the day . Just sayin'.
Old 10-20-20, 08:13 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I think I will look into those schrader to presta adapters! It sure would be nice to have only one kind of pump head!
Old 10-20-20, 08:40 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
One more thing for the OP, if you do go to a new presta wheelset, you might want to also look into how to convert your quick release disc hubs to a thru-axle setup for safety reasons.

I’m not familiar with what is available for your existing fork. It may be necessary to swap out the existing quick release fork on the escape for one that will accept a thru-axle.

To keep costs down, I would only be concerned with the front hub setup since that is where most of the stopping power is applied.

Down the road you can look into adapting the rear, or swapping out the frame. If you swap out the frame, I’d look for one where you can transfer your components over.

John
Old 10-20-20, 06:55 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I think I will look into those schrader to presta adapters! It sure would be nice to have only one kind of pump head!
After getting fed up with finicky pump heads, this is the solution I've settled on.
Old 10-20-20, 07:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
After getting fed up with finicky pump heads, this is the solution I've settled on.
I have a 7 year old Bontrager floor pump with one head that does both.

Never had a problem.
Old 10-20-20, 07:31 PM
Gresp15C

I have a 7 year old Bontrager floor pump with one head that does both.

Never had a problem.
I don't have that pump. The pumps I had with dual-mode heads were Nashbar, Park, a replacement head from Park, and an unnamed replacement head, over a span of many years, and recently a Silca Pista that I got for 5 bucks at St. Vinny's.

However... an inexplicable variation in the experiences of (presumably) equally competent users, is a hallmark of a quality or design problem.
Old 10-20-20, 07:35 PM
Gresp15C

Seriously.... this is still being discussed?
Apparently.
Old 10-20-20, 08:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Does anybody slide an ordinary washer over a presta valve stem anymore? That was the common presta tube in a Schraeder rim solution 40 years ago. I'd bend the washer for fit nicely against the tube track of the rim and looking to make sure the out edge of the washer was smooth. I'd look for a thin near fender washer and grind two sides down to be a nice fit inside the rim.
I used the distributor housing harness protector grommet. Less than five cents for a pack of various sizes & all seemed to be usable pending how much of the grommet was trimmed.
Old 10-24-20, 11:51 AM
laparks

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, everyone, for the entertaining and informative dialogue through 50 posts on this topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.