Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Breathing new life into a 13 year-old bike...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-27-20, 12:48 PM
Skimax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I recently built a single speed and have been riding that all summer but I also had an old (2007?) Trek 1500 laying around... After riding the single speed I have grown to really like the frame size (55) and the 60 of the Trek just wasn’t doing it for me anymore. So I acquired a new frame (54) and basically tore the Trek down, dismantling and cleaning every component as I did it, and transferred everything over to the new frame. Finally finished getting everything transferred/adjusted and took her for an inaugural test ride today. Of course it decided to snow this morning so unfortunately I will mostly be using this on the trainer but so far I love it and was an awesome inexpensive refresh to the old bike!

The old.

The new!

Likes For Skimax:
Old 10-27-20, 01:14 PM
Torelli4

Bikes: 1995 Torelli Corsa Strada 2021 State 4130

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice. What did you do to strip the paint off the frame?
Old 10-27-20, 01:17 PM
Skimax

Frame is new along with new drops (bent the drops in a crash a couple years ago). Went from Aluminum w/ carbon fork to full carbon frame. In the short time that I rode it outside there seems to be a huge difference in the feel of the two frames!
Old 10-27-20, 02:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Skimax
Its always fun to build up a frame! Neat that you have something to fit you as thats a significant size difference between the Trek and new frame.
What is the new frame?

Also, QR levers on the left. Always on the left.
Old 10-28-20, 04:29 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oy! ....yes...this^

Old 10-28-20, 04:40 PM
Skimax

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its always fun to build up a frame! Neat that you have something to fit you as thats a significant size difference between the Trek and new frame.
What is the new frame?

Yeah I really enjoy sourcing the stuff and maintaining/installing all the components... rather soothing to me haha.
I think I pretty much just got the wrong sized frame back when I bought the trek 13 years ago... I rode it a lot, even riding a century with it back in the day but I think I am just more comfortable on a smaller frame :dunno:

Wanted to do a cheap experiment with this and see how the smaller frame would work with the old components so I found a pretty much new china carbon frame locally.

Regarding the quick release levers, I thought something felt weird when I was putting the wheels on These have since been changed!