Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Internal cable routing question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 07:43 AM
JG6663

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought an older Klein Adroit Pro that is missing all its internal cable housings. Where can I locate some replacement housing? I seem to remember from my previous Kleins that the housing was faired at the lead-in point -- any thoughts on how to do that? Thanks a million.
Old 08-06-10, 10:55 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Not familiar with your frame, per se, but most internally routed cables use standard housing. The question for you is, are the housings actually internal (I have one of these), or do they terminate at each entry into the frame tube? If the latter, you just cut the housing, debur if needed, and ferrule each end (if required - basically means if one fits in the hole). If the former, just run a cable through the holes, and push the housing over it. If you have an internal tube, you don't even have to run a cable first.

The fun part is getting the cable out the second hole Compressed air with a string is one method.
Old 08-06-10, 04:42 PM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Aegis Trident that has internal cable for rear brake. Like Ex Pres says, the fun part is getting a cable through to guide the housing. I put a long cable into the rear hole, and worked it out the front hole with a spring hook (you can make up something similar with a paper clip). Then I ran the housing over the cable, and got it through. I added ferules to the ends of the housing after cutting to length.
Old 08-06-10, 05:30 PM
JG6663

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Pres. This era Klein originally had a plastic or nylon tubing that ran through the frame from the inlet port to the outlet, basically guiding the wire through the frame. No muss, no fuss. But someone stripped out the internal cables and that's what I'm looking for.