Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Cities

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Single Speed Cities

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 07:50 AM
Dabbling Runner

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1997 GT Timberline S/S Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Charlotte, NC is a nice mix. If you want to climb, you can find the hills easily. If you want flat, you can find the flat. But you have to know where you're going. Running a lot and growing up here, I find it much more interesting for riding and running than some of the cities mentioned here. The problem in Charlotte is the AWFUL drivers. They love running people off the roads, especially outside the city limits in the sticks, my family members included. I think the sentiment is "if it ain't got an engine, it don't belong on the road". People are shocked to find out that it's actually illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk. Fortunately the city now requires all new roads or altered roads to include a bike lane.

Chicago is VERY flat. I've run the marathon twice. One short hill in 26.2 miles constitutes flat. Haven't ridden a bike there but I couldn't find a hill anywhere while running through the South Side where my best friend lives (106th and Cicero). However, "A Cup" Portland I found to be quite hilly. Downtown was flat but when I ran from the Rose Garden Arena across to the real Rose Garden and back, that was a b****. Those trails in the Garden were sweet. Indianapolis is flat. The Monon Trail is a GREAT bike/running path but it can get really boring really quickly.

I think some of the issue is what you are accustomed to riding. I watch some of the Macaframa and MASH youtubes and I can't believe how hilly SF can be. Would be seriously challenged riding those hills. OTOH, Some might think Charlotte is difficult while I think it's a piece of cake.
Old 03-24-13, 08:33 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dabbling Runner
Charlotte, NC is a nice mix. If you want to climb, you can find the hills easily. If you want flat, you can find the flat. But you have to know where you're going. Running a lot and growing up here, I find it much more interesting for riding and running than some of the cities mentioned here. The problem in Charlotte is the AWFUL drivers. They love running people off the roads, especially outside the city limits in the sticks, my family members included. I think the sentiment is "if it ain't got an engine, it don't belong on the road". People are shocked to find out that it's actually illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk. Fortunately the city now requires all new roads or altered roads to include a bike lane.
Don't ride in Charlotte very often although I work there, but it is true about the drivers. From my home in Cherryville, it is about 45 miles to my office so a bit too far to commute, though I have ridden it several times. It is fairly flat along that route.

Here we are in the Piedmont and the terrain is a lot hillier, but the hills are fairly short. I agree that this area has a great mix of terrain, and you can usually pick and choose you route to suit your mood. We don't have a lot of fixed gear riders here but there seems to be a burgeoning interest in single speeds, even amidst the roadie crowd. When I take my fixed gear on the LBS's easy group ride, they call it the "kneebreaker" even though several of them are on single speeds.
Old 03-25-13, 10:18 AM
Recreate.me
Fight the gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt anyone really cares, but a lot of Canada is very flat lol I ride my single speed in Southwestern Ontario and from Windsor to Kitchener its all flat cities and country roads. I haven't been but i would imagine the prairies would also be really flat (Saskatchewan especially lol)

Also, Detroit is very flat, if anyone cares to ride a bike around downtown motown it would be very easy lol
Old 03-25-13, 11:00 AM
iTripped

Bikes: Phil Barge Pista SC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Recreate.me
I doubt anyone really cares, but a lot of Canada is very flat lol I ride my single speed in Southwestern Ontario and from Windsor to Kitchener its all flat cities and country roads. I haven't been but i would imagine the prairies would also be really flat (Saskatchewan especially lol)
So a 300 km slice of land represents all of Canada now? No wonder the rest of us accuse people from Toronto (or Southern Ontario) of thinking you are the center of the universe. lol Try travelling beyond the GTA and then come back to tell us how 'flat' Canada is.
Old 03-25-13, 06:36 PM
Recreate.me
Fight the gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I have been all over many times, just remember I said `I'd imagine' and 'a lot of', and this was only speaking cities.
Old 03-25-13, 06:59 PM
blondieyo

Bikes: Pake Rum Runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In terms of commuting, Adelaide (where I live in Aus) is completely flat from the CBD until you get to the hills behind the city. I think this is perfect because riding into and out of the city is simple and doesn't require much effort at all but if you want there us some hills that you can kill yourself on. This is a picture taken from the hills behind the city, it continues to stay flat to the left and right of that photo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1070452.jpg (100.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-25-13, 07:02 PM
blondieyo

Bikes: Pake Rum Runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iTripped
So a 300 km slice of land represents all of Canada now? No wonder the rest of us accuse people from Toronto (or Southern Ontario) of thinking you are the center of the universe. lol Try travelling beyond the GTA and then come back to tell us how 'flat' Canada is.
My impression of Canada was that it was one of the most mountainous places in the world. To be fair I stayed within BC when I went haha
Old 03-25-13, 07:23 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Washington DC It's got flats & rollers plus it's not laid out in traditonal blocks. Light traffic on the weekends, 'cept the tourist, and lots of cool places to explore. We'd ride in from Va on the bike trail and get lost for hours. Oh to be young and wide eyed again!
Old 03-26-13, 03:10 PM
Patmanified

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phoenix Az. I can ride 26 miles to work with only a 200 foot difference in elevation. No noticeable climbs.