Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are roadies so stuck up?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 03:46 PM
mprelaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Does your first name happen to be Richard?
Or Nelson?

Throwing a bone to the bowlers out there.
Old 04-06-13, 07:03 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
It's an allergic reaction from excessive exposure to spandex. bk
Old 04-06-13, 09:44 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Too bad none of us wear spandex.
Old 04-08-13, 08:58 AM
Recreate.me
Fight the gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read nothing but the first post sooo feel free to skip this post if your into the current convo, but my assumption (being a 'roadie') is that they are just 'in the zone'. If you out for a casual ride, its casual and you wont take your road bike or at least won't wear full kit. So you have to assume that if you see a guy/girl riding a road bike wear full kit that they are out to train, not to wave at people and enjoy the birds chirping, at least not after the first 5-10km. I think the big this is that once you start really pushing yourself, regardless of what your doing, your body begins to focus more and more on the training and less on your surroundings and you simply don't notice that someone has waved or said 'Hi' until you've passed them.

We aren't being rude (at least I am not) it just doesn't register until its to late...
Old 04-08-13, 09:44 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd still like to know what it is about cycling that makes some people think that participation in it should make one more openly friendly to strangers than you would be if you walked past them on a crowded street. It makes no sense to me. Do these same people say hello to everyone they run across at the grocery store?
Old 04-08-13, 10:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Maybe it's a cultural thing. I grew up in a small town and if you were mowing the lawn or washing the car you were pretty much expected to wave at every car that went by. I'm guessing that riding a bike makes some folks feel like they're part of a small community.
Old 04-08-13, 06:09 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Next thread: why are non roadies so insecure?
Old 04-08-13, 06:20 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Recreate.me
I have read nothing but the first post sooo feel free to skip this post if your into the current convo, but my assumption (being a 'roadie') is that they are just 'in the zone'. If you out for a casual ride, its casual and you wont take your road bike or at least won't wear full kit. So you have to assume that if you see a guy/girl riding a road bike wear full kit that they are out to train, not to wave at people and enjoy the birds chirping, at least not after the first 5-10km. I think the big this is that once you start really pushing yourself, regardless of what your doing, your body begins to focus more and more on the training and less on your surroundings and you simply don't notice that someone has waved or said 'Hi' until you've passed them.

We aren't being rude (at least I am not) it just doesn't register until its to late...
Are you telling me if I take that Specialized Roubaix out and wear those team bib shorts with sponsors on them I HAVE to train? I'm not allowed to just take a run for fun of drop by the deli and pick up smoked meat and a couple pastries?

What about the Ben and Jerry ice cream circuit or the the Rockaberry marathon? How am I gonna burn all those calories on a hybrid? or an ebike? or a trycicle?

Pwease, pwease! Let me cycle just cause I wanna have fun!? I won't wave .... promise!!!!!
Old 04-08-13, 08:07 PM
Recreate.me
Fight the gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you could i don't know why you would dress up for all that haha

When i train i gear up and train, when i casually head to the shops its jeans and the cruiser lol id wave then though
Old 04-13-13, 05:42 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Last time I passed a pro team on a training ride about half of the riders waved. The inner conflict was unbearable as I couldn't decide if I should wave back out of respect or not wave fearing another BF pro might see me.
Wait, you were PASSING a pro team? How fast are you?
Old 04-13-13, 06:36 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Wait, you were PASSING a pro team? How fast are you?
I suspect they were going in opposite directions -- of course you probably knew that.
Old 04-13-13, 11:28 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Too much Carbon fiber exposure.
Old 04-13-13, 11:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie

Nicely played!
Old 04-14-13, 02:14 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
WTF; It's not insecure to expect a gesture to be returned. It's reasonable for a roadie to be focused and not notice someone. Does DataJunkie also think someone to be insecure if they expect a "thank-you" after providing a good turn? Perhaps you were just trolling?
Old 04-14-13, 03:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
Perhaps you were just trolling?
You know trolling!!
Old 04-14-13, 03:25 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
You know trolling!!
haha, yeah, I've figured out what it means ...the first couple hundred posts I made on here I seemed to be accused of it every time I posted. Would it be correct to say there's trolling=deliberate and trolling=accidental. If you just post something to deliberately piss everyone off then that's poor form, but taking an opposing view, or having and opinion, is surely not trolling?
Old 04-14-13, 05:59 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
haha, yeah, I've figured out what it means ...the first couple hundred posts I made on here I seemed to be accused of it every time I posted. Would it be correct to say there's trolling=deliberate and trolling=accidental. If you just post something to deliberately piss everyone off then that's poor form, but taking an opposing view, or having and opinion, is surely not trolling?
I was sortof assuming that posts under this heading were probably less than serious. Stereotyping in a forum like this is pretty pointless since lots of people here own lots of different kids of bikes. But ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself SOMETIME.

Unless of course you've absolutely never ever ever fallen over on a bike standing still cause you forgot you were clipped in
Old 04-14-13, 06:39 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
I'd still like to know what it is about cycling that makes some people think that participation in it should make one more openly friendly to strangers than you would be if you walked past them on a crowded street. It makes no sense to me. Do these same people say hello to everyone they run across at the grocery store?
My thoughts exactly. I wave at other cyclists if i'm out on the highway for a long ride. People who do that are a relatively small group, many of them know each other. But on a mup on my way to work or on the way to the farmer's market on Saturday? It makes as much sense as every car driver on a busy expressway waving at every other car driver. I'd have my hands off the bars half the time, and in a city with this many potholes, that's not a smart thing.
Old 04-14-13, 07:34 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Soon, the cross country touring cyclists will hit the Trans Canada Highway in large numbers as they do every year. I travel this road a lot, and sometimes just for the heck of it, I'll wave to oncoming riders from behind the wheel of my 18 wheeler, just to see how often I get a reaction.
I get a surprising number of wave backs, and they have no way to know I'm a fellow cyclist, roadie or otherwise.
Old 04-14-13, 08:25 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

^^^
Occasionally when touring in the empty middle of nowhere I'll give a meeting truck the "chain yank" signal and be rewarded with a loud honk! Just good fun
Old MACK trucks sound best

Last edited by imi; 04-14-13 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-14-13, 08:40 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by imi
^^^
Occasionally when touring in the empty middle of nowhere I'll give a meeting truck the "chain yank" signal and be rewarded with a loud honk! Just good fun
Old MACK trucks sound best
Trucks with 36" dual tone Grovers on the roof sound the best, regardless of the name plate on the hood.
Old 04-14-13, 09:25 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Trucks with 36" dual tone Grovers on the roof sound the best, regardless of the name plate on the hood.
Yes, those are the one's I mean
Old 04-15-13, 02:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I like "commuters" and "over 50s" they are by far the most friendly group. "mechanics" are good too. when you venture into the road riding threads you'd better have your sh*t together, and have something real to contribute.
Old 04-19-13, 01:15 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I like "commuters" and "over 50s" they are by far the most friendly group. "mechanics" are good too. when you venture into the road riding threads you'd better have your sh*t together, and have something real to contribute.
so true.
Old 06-24-13, 03:15 AM
percy kittens

Bikes: 2014 Surly Straggler (Loretta Martin)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Another stupid wave thread" - 7/174 posts or 4% of posts. Could be considered as potentially guaranteed participants in the next "Wave" thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.