Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Over ear headphones

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 05:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Over ear headphones

hi, wondering if anyone has used this style of headphone?

not so much interested in this particular model but more so this style. i do not like the in ear canal style since after a few minutes i'm hurting. i suppose two things i am interested in are how well they stay on and to an additional degree how well they sound. but also, what does ambient sound sound like, can you hear an approaching car?. and what about wind?

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...426176937&th=1
Old 05-21-23, 08:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
i have these.
https://www.amazon.com/Oladance-Head.../dp/B09TXBWYRF

paid less than 30.00 & came in black. Wouldn't pay more than 30.00 for them. They sound fine, & you can turn them down enough to hear surrounding noises.
Old 05-22-23, 04:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I use over ear headphones (noise canceling ones) for indoor exercise bike and for airplane travel.

I never use any form of headphones when riding on a bike, but have almost run into people (pedestrians and bicyclists) that were wearing headphones or ear buds that did not hear me announcing that I was approaching from behind.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-22-23, 10:32 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by Troul
i have these.
https://www.amazon.com/Oladance-Head.../dp/B09TXBWYRF

paid less than 30.00 & came in black. Wouldn't pay more than 30.00 for them. They sound fine, & you can turn them down enough to hear surrounding noises.
these are 120 now. you got a fantastic deal. always thought this style had to be shoved into the ear canal. i do see other similar for way less and will probably try one of those. thanks!
Old 05-22-23, 11:40 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by spelger
these are 120 now. you got a fantastic deal. always thought this style had to be shoved into the ear canal. i do see other similar for way less and will probably try one of those. thanks!
The in ear design works well when I'm not active, but that is rarely the case when wanting to use such tech. Over the ear may not appear as "clean" looking for most, however, they are the better option than the wrap around style that rests on the neck/collar or have the retractable wires that will eventually cause problems due to sweat rolling into the housings.

Anything that claims a rating of IP6 or higher is suspect. If it has any ports, buttons, & seams; it'll take in moisture (ie: ear port or mic hole)
Old 05-22-23, 12:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
They are illegal for use by motorists and ill advised for cyclists. Lots of wireless earbuds that have an over the ear hook to keep them in place.
Old 05-22-23, 12:26 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Calsun
They are illegal for use by motorists and ill advised for cyclists. Lots of wireless earbuds that have an over the ear hook to keep them in place.
so is eating while driving, & is frowned upon while riding... but that doesn't apply to the OP question.
Old 05-22-23, 11:18 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Bone conducting headphones are the only way to go for cycling.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 05-24-23, 03:26 PM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
hi, wondering if anyone has used this style of headphone?

not so much interested in this particular model but more so this style. i do not like the in ear canal style since after a few minutes i'm hurting. i suppose two things i am interested in are how well they stay on and to an additional degree how well they sound. but also, what does ambient sound sound like, can you hear an approaching car?. and what about wind?
In my area headphones are illegal to use when cycling. Hearing and vision are the best senses you have to not getting into an accident. I don't even wear sunglasses, they disrupt my vision. If the the sun is glaring on me, i'll use my hand to block it. Riding and driving.
Old 05-24-23, 06:58 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by rc5781
In my area headphones are illegal to use when cycling. Hearing and vision are the best senses you have to not getting into an accident. I don't even wear sunglasses, they disrupt my vision. If the the sun is glaring on me, i'll use my hand to block it. Riding and driving.
what if you are deaf, hearing impaired? You're illegal just being in public if that measures up the same.
Old 05-24-23, 07:06 PM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
what if you are deaf, hearing impaired? You're illegal just being in public if that measures up the same.
If you're deaf or hearing impaired and you're not listening to headphones or earbuds, you're fine. If you're deaf or hearing impaired and "listening" to earbuds or headphones than that's illegal. It's crazy. I get attacked after every post on this forum. Stop attacking me and I'll go away. Keep attacking me and I'll stay...
Old 05-25-23, 12:51 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by rc5781
If you're deaf or hearing impaired and you're not listening to headphones or earbuds, you're fine. If you're deaf or hearing impaired and "listening" to earbuds or headphones than that's illegal. It's crazy. I get attacked after every post on this forum. Stop attacking me and I'll go away. Keep attacking me and I'll stay...
what if you can taste the noise, but cant describe the scent?

maybe its our way of keeping you here?
Old 05-30-23, 07:53 AM
spelger

what if you can taste the noise, but cant describe the scent?

maybe its our way of keeping you here?
i ended up buying a cheap version of what you linked to. i didn't want to spend too much dough just to see how the fit is. the cheap version is really not so bad, finally got to test them on a ride this morning. they feel very secure (main goal), and don't sound all that bad. i can still hear wind noise even with an avg speed of 20mph today. i could hear cars easily which was an important factor as well.
Likes For spelger: