Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can this seat be fixed?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can this seat be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-24, 02:17 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Unless you don't mind riding crap, this generally isn't a hobby/sport for the frugally-minded.
This reminds me of the snotty kids I used to race against years ago whose mommies and daddies bought them full Super-Record Olmos, Rossins, and Colnagos who would scoff and snicker at my old beat-up Suntour-equipped Raleigh. Felt good to beat them every so often.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-29-24, 02:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
This reminds me of the snotty kids I used to race against years ago whose mommies and daddies bought them full Super-Record Olmos, Rossins, and Colnagos who would scoff and snicker at my old beat-up Suntour-equipped Raleigh. Felt good to beat them every so often.
I'm with you here. BITD we used to call those folks the "bike of the month club" (you probably need to be over 40 to get the reference). Bicycling has undergone a major cultural shift since the sixties when I started riding. Back then the bike crowd was distinct from the golf, ski, tennis crowd, and our sport attracted blue collar types who wanted easily serviced bikes that lasted.

Sometime in the late seventies or a bit later, bicycling became trendy and started attracting folks with more dough, and more interest in having the latest and greatest. Sometimes our worlds overlap, and someone with a pretty CF bike will ask me how old my Ti/Chorus 10s ride is. When I say 23 years, they'll look down their nose and say, "looks it" not grasping that I consider that a complement, considering the 40,000 miles it took to get it that way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-29-24 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-29-24, 02:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sometime in the late seventies or a bit later, bicycling became trendy and started attracting folks with more dough, and more interest in having the latest and greatest. Sometimes our worlds overlap, and someone with a pretty CF bike will ask me how old my ride is. When I say 23 years, they'll look down their nose and say, "looks it" not grasping that I consider that a complement, respecting the 40,000 miles it took to get it that way.
Not that I'm into reverse snobbery or anything, but...

It just hit me that there may be a few orders of magnitude separating various classes of bicycles. Your big-box BSO may hit 400 miles before it's left to rust in the garage. Your high-falutin' carbon bike might hit 4,000 miles before it's sold or traded. And then there are bikes like mine and yours, the bikes that have hit 40,000 miles and are still going. (Albeit with some parts replacements?)

OK, maybe I am a reverse snob. So sue me.
Old 02-29-24, 02:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by pdlamb

It just hit me that there may be a few orders of magnitude separating various classes of bicycles. Your big-box BSO may hit 400 miles before it's left to rust in the garage. Your high-falutin' carbon bike might hit 4,000 miles before it's sold or traded. And then there are bikes like mine and yours, the bikes that have hit 40,000 miles and are still going. (Albeit with some parts replacements?)

You're only a snob if you project that onto others. One of the nice things about riding well worn, older bikes is that they act as sort of a filter, sorting the strangers who might stop to chat.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-29-24, 03:11 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Was your Suntour-equipped Raleigh crap, or just old and beat up?

Are your going to tell us you were like Beng1, and beat everyone on your Varsity with the cables flapping in the wind and no bar tape?

People who think this is an inexpensive pastime amuse me. Even my son's entry-level bike cost $700.
Old 02-29-24, 03:35 PM
FBinNY 

People who think this is an inexpensive pastime amuse me. Even my son's entry-level bike cost $700.
You need a sense of history. Back in 1967 before biking was chic, a top end Campagnolo Record/Reynolds 531 road bike (Shimano wasnt doing high end yet) would set you back $165 ($1,600 2024 dollars). You could spend a bit, but not much, more for custom built Paramount, Cinelli, or British bike.

Those bikes were easy and cheap to service and had staggering service lives.

As I said, the culture changed, and the industry went where the money is.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-29-24, 04:24 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Was your Suntour-equipped Raleigh crap, or just old and beat up?

Are your going to tell us you were like Beng1, and beat everyone on your Varsity with the cables flapping in the wind and no bar tape?

*plonk*
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-29-24, 04:50 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
That's a bad accident waiting to happen, the seat comes off and the rails jab you in the butt or worse. Seriously. Get a new saddle. If you want traditional leather and durable, get a Brooks or similar, I don't recall if you can still get an Ideal. Brooks also has synthetic material that is impervious to water.
Can confirm. Had saddle failures two ways: mounting bolt failure and fracture of tension slides on early model Selle Anatomicas. Transition from seated to no-seat is surprising (TBF the SA doesn't technically leave the cycle).
Old 02-29-24, 07:54 PM
TLit

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I'm not a big bike rider these days, but back in the 80s I road everywhere with my Univega touring bike which was perfect for me. I'm quite content with my Centurion Le Mans, and get out as much as I can with it.

Sadly I've seen the sort of insecurity and grasping for every more impressive equipment in other hobbies like astronomy which they call aperture envy. If I have a lot of spare extra money I'd rather give to a good charity than feed my insecurities which never seems to make me happy or more sociable.
Likes For TLit:
Old 03-01-24, 09:10 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by TLit
Sadly I've seen the sort of insecurity and grasping for every more impressive equipment in other hobbies like astronomy which they call aperture envy.
Luckily I'm quite secure in my equipment, which is ancient and not impressive by most standards here. My bike may even be as old as yours. But I'm not about to waste time (and money) trying to fix things that are essentially unfixable, when buying a new part for $15 bucks would solve the problem. Which I will note is the conclusion you also came to.

Last edited by smd4; 03-01-24 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-01-24, 09:16 AM
TLit

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
The seat must have come off when I put it in the back of my car, was not conscious of what was happening.
Old 03-01-24, 10:29 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
The seat must have come off when I put it in the back of my car, was not conscious of what was happening.
The saddle probably had been broken for a while and finally gave up the ghost. It has seen a long hard life and now needs to go to its final resting place. I understand that want to save certain things but a cheap saddle that I can easily replace and isn't worth the time and effort it would take to maybe extend the life for a short period is just not worth it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-02-24, 12:29 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

I used to ride into work on a faded and scratched old tourer, and regularly enjoyed passing the guy who worked in the other bike shop, grinding his shiny Colnago up the big hill.
Old 03-02-24, 12:49 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Unless you don't mind riding crap, this generally isn't a hobby/sport for the frugally-minded.
I enjoy my crap bikes and don't feel any need for shiny modern stuff.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-02-24, 01:06 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by grumpus
Same here.
Old 03-02-24, 02:48 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Probably a Vetta saddle. Plenty of good used Vetta saddles on eBay at reasonable prices.

If you're dead set on Rube Goldberging that seat back together, perhaps you could stitch the seat fabric around the rails somehow. I'd still throw a foot or two of rolled-up duct tape in the saddle bag though, just in case there was a catastrophic seat failure and you need to duct tape your junk back to your body.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 03-02-24, 04:41 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Sometimes, you have to know when to give up
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-02-24, 06:19 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
But the modern stuff isn't shiny. It's mostly flat black carbon fiber. Nothing is as pretty as a lugged, steel frame.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 03-02-24, 08:17 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
But the modern stuff isn't shiny. It's mostly flat black carbon fiber. Nothing is as pretty as a lugged, steel frame.
It all depends on what you imprinted on when you were young. There's nothing inherently beautiful about a bunch of gas-pipe-diameter pipes stuck together at awkward angles. Modern bikes are modern art. Not everyone has to like modern art, of course.

That said, I've spent a lot of time sitting around admiring my beautiful bikes over the decades, starting with my Reynolds 531 Helyett Speciale track bike in 1964.