Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Font derailleur blocking chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 03:55 AM
nz6666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was on a 1 x 9 system now want to convert to 2 x 9. Got Shimano 5700 (53/39T) crank set, 6800 BB and 5700 FD. In the installation, I found the chain won't go to the largest 4 rear cogs when the chain is on small chain ring as it's blocked by the inner wall of the FD. After inspection I found the FD has reached most inner (to the frame) position (I have adjusted limit screws). The problem probably is my bike is a folder with a oversized seat tube (seat post alone is 33.9mm), and the FD hanger seems a little bit over extending from the seat tube (see the pic below). This combined makes the FD not being able to be close to the frame enough.

Have anyone runs into similar problem, solutions?
One thing I can think of is the FD is for 10 speed, so my chain (9 speed) maybe a little bit too wide? But not sure how much it will improve if changing to a 9 speed FD.

----edit
the pic is not from my bike, just a same frame took from internet for a different issue.

The BB shell is 68mm English threaded. I read it somewhere no spacers are needed for hollow tech 2 BB. But now thinking I might need a spacer on drive side?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2_89100_5e33d572c5a6aa6.jpg (58.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by nz6666; 06-01-15 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 04:09 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I think that your bottom bracket spindle is sized for a single chainring and you may need a longer one to give clearance for a double.

Edit: Looking closer at the photo it seems like the outer edge of the hanger is pushing against the derailleur, twisting the tail inwards; this is not helping matters. You can see marks on the front of the FD which look like they were made by the bracket. Some judicious filing may allow you to rotate the derailleur more outward, but I think the root cause is having the chain line too far inboard. It also seems like the weld bead is fouling the mounting screw washer, further twisting the derailleur inward.

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 06-01-15 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 04:42 AM
nz6666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The pic is not from my bike but a pic of the same frame. Sorry for the confusion. Edited my post.
Old 06-01-15, 02:49 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Sending photos from someone else's bike is not the best way to help us troubleshoot yours...
Old 06-01-15, 02:58 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I can see several problems with the setup in the pic. Very unusual choice to include the picture of a different bike. I suggest that next time, you post a picture of a kitten or iceberg as it will be exactly as helpful.
Old 06-01-15, 02:59 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I think that your bottom bracket spindle is sized for a single chainring and you may need a longer one to give clearance for a double.

Edit: Looking closer at the photo it seems like the outer edge of the hanger is pushing against the derailleur, twisting the tail inwards; this is not helping matters. You can see marks on the front of the FD which look like they were made by the bracket. Some judicious filing may allow you to rotate the derailleur more outward, but I think the root cause is having the chain line too far inboard. It also seems like the weld bead is fouling the mounting screw washer, further twisting the derailleur inward.
The problem with the bike in the photo is that the derailleur is improperly mounted.
Old 06-01-15, 03:01 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I can see several problems with the setup in the pic. Very unusual choice to include the picture of a different bike. I suggest that next time, you post a picture of a kitten or iceberg as it will be exactly as helpful.
Why not both?
Attached Images
Old 06-02-15, 04:06 AM
nz6666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put that photo to show what the FD hanger looks like. I already took the components off and restored the bike as I need to use it for commuting. Will wait until weekend.
Old 06-02-15, 12:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've been having the opposite problem with one of my bikes. A fraction of an inch too little travel when shifting to the big ring, so difficulty shifting and rubbing in the (Big Front)/(Small Rear) combo. And difficulty shifting chainrings.

In frustration, I ended up subtly bending the derailleur cage with pliers, and it works much better now.

What type of shifters are you using? The MTB derailleurs tend to have better clearance than the road derailleurs.
Old 06-05-15, 02:46 AM
nz6666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've been having the opposite problem with one of my bikes. A fraction of an inch too little travel when shifting to the big ring, so difficulty shifting and rubbing in the (Big Front)/(Small Rear) combo. And difficulty shifting chainrings.

In frustration, I ended up subtly bending the derailleur cage with pliers, and it works much better now.

What type of shifters are you using? The MTB derailleurs tend to have better clearance than the road derailleurs.
I ended up using a 8 speed Shimano 2400 FD, it has bigger cage so the idea is the same as your MTB FD. And that works. Oh, I also added a BB spacer (1mm) to drive side to push the chain rings further out. These combined solved the problem. Bending FD cage was one of the things I thought to do as well
Old 06-05-15, 11:42 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts