Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Pegoretti aluminum? bike, assistance

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 09:12 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts

Fist post this section guys, usually on C&V. Background; I do ride fixed several days a week but am into 70's/80's road as well. Supposed to go look at this supposed Pegoretti, is this legit? https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/5577933141.html

I have a vintage track bike and a few newer fixed/track but this caught my eye as they seem pretty high dollar. I need help ID'ing if anyone is up for it. I assume value is higher than price, supposedly was bro in laws and selling. Not sure of models or how to ID year,

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-10-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 09:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,998 Times in 2,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Fist post this section guys, usually on C&V. Background; I do ride fixed several days a week but am into 70's/80's road as well. Supposed to go look at this supposed Pegoretti, is this legit? https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/5577933141.html

I have a vintage track bike and a few newer fixed/track but this caught my eye as they seem pretty high dollar. I need help ID'ing if anyone is up for it. I assume value is higher than price, supposedly was bro in laws and selling. I think these have good value but not sure of models or how to ID year,

Any help is appreciated.
Pego did do some work in aluminum so this could possibly be real but lack of photos and information are always red flags for me. I would try and get a serial number and email Dario or find a database and find out. Check other known Pego frames and see if they match up in anyway.

I hope it is legit and you can pick it up because it would be awesome. Though I wish it were steel and PegoRichie tubing because that is the good stuff.
Old 05-09-16, 09:36 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Definitely not seven pounds, unless, just frame and fork. No price seen, so its unknown as to how good a deal it is. Seems fishy.
Old 05-09-16, 10:05 PM
Bikerider007

Just got a look, is very unique and appears steel. Has a Peggoretti decal and new belgium head badge? Does not look aluminium but almost an odd steel, can't think of the name. Like a metal pipe with different shades, puzzles pieces. Very cool but $500 cool?

Not bad quality but prob not legit, fairly light. maybe 15-16. I took pics but of course my phone is not cooperating. He is sure what it is, I am not, bit of a language barrier too. I'll try and get pics up.

I was thinking fishy too, maybe misrepresenting knowingly or not.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-09-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 11:53 PM
Bikerider007

Ugly holes in tha dropout. Aero type tubing. Decent brake bridge. Seat clamp forward slot. The kind of metal color I was thinking of was galvanized, but this is not thick/heavy like that. Fairly light bike. There are nipples sticking out of head tube at top of badge.
Cranks looked decent but forgot what they were. Pegoretti is decal, badge is metal. Not a good sign typically.

Appreciate any input.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-10-16 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 12:22 AM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
wtf is up with that galvanized looking finish lol
Old 05-10-16, 05:39 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
It doesn't look anything like a Dario Pegoretti bike. (Or one of his paint jobs!) Not a bad deal for $500, though.

From Google Image Search

Pegoretti track bike. I've seen pictures of other Pegoretti bikes with the wide, stiff chain stays.

Pegoretti head badge and paint job.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-10-16 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 09:05 AM
Bikerider007

Thanks for the input and helping me decide to put on the brakes? not sure what to say there. :-)

Was going to meet the guy again tonight if I could ID and did some more research this morning. Found that it appears to be an early 2000 Swobo Sanchez, apparently they were initially galvanized chromoly and later painted to look galvanized due to cost. Pretty cool in person and may be a little more rare since its not the painted one, but not what it was said to be. Also found that the headbadge from New Belgium is a giveaway type item that is rounded to fit on bikes.

Update: @veganbikes.I emailed Dario as suggested last night, it said he was out until 5/18 but may respond. He did and said it is definitely not one of his....

The Adventure Life With Steve Casimiro Gear Review: Swobo?s Sanchez ? Beyond the Edge

Fixed Gear Gallery :: 2002 swobo sanchez

The Rocket Science Alliance: SWOBO "SANCHEZ" - BICYCLE FRAMESET

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-10-16 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 09:22 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Weird. Rear brake bridge and unicrown forks looks exactly like those found on State's Chinese entry level bikes.
Old 05-10-16, 10:10 AM
rreahard

Bikes: Are awesome!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda like the galvanized frame, it's different. I wouldn't pay that much for it though.
Old 05-10-16, 12:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,998 Times in 2,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Thanks for the input and helping me decide to put on the brakes? not sure what to say there. :-)

Was going to meet the guy again tonight if I could ID and did some more research this morning. Found that it appears to be an early 2000 Swobo Sanchez, apparently they were initially galvanized chromoly and later painted to look galvanized due to cost. Pretty cool in person and may be a little more rare since its not the painted one, but not what it was said to be. Also found that the headbadge from New Belgium is a giveaway type item that is rounded to fit on bikes.

Update: @veganbikes.I emailed Dario as suggested last night, it said he was out until 5/18 but may respond. He did and said it is definitely not one of his....

The Adventure Life With Steve Casimiro Gear Review: Swobo?s Sanchez ? Beyond the Edge

Fixed Gear Gallery :: 2002 swobo sanchez

The Rocket Science Alliance: SWOBO "SANCHEZ" - BICYCLE FRAMESET
Looking at the other pictures I can see why. Probably didn't need Dario at that point though always fun to talk to someone like that even if for a short bit.

It is an interesting frame but I don't know about $500 especially if the dude was calling it a Pego. I would knock them down to about $200 max if you really wanted the frame. It isn't bad but it certainly isn't great.