Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Post knee replacement fitting tips?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 06:45 AM
rickwtx
G*tti*g B*ck o* Ro*d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just had both knees replaced 6 weeks ago. I'll be getting back on a bike with 2-3 weeks, but my local shop had no idea what adjustments to make due to knee replacement. Basically I'm semi-normal, but with a reduced range-of-motion (about 100-110 degrees and increasing slowly). I figured someone else has probably already gone thru this and has some wisdom they can share.

I'm also starting from scratch and buying a bike (used most likely) so recommendations on that too are appreciated. When I blew my right knee out initially (racing some members of the Mexican National Team, I'm an idiot) I was riding a Trek 5200 USPS, but I'll never be that guy again. Been off a bike for 9 years now.
Old 08-15-17, 12:43 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My right knee was replaced in January 2015, my left in August 2015. Before surgery I reduced crank length from 172.5 to 170 to encourage more spinning and recently a fitter recommended 165s (I am 5-11 with a 31" inseam). I was on the bike about 8 weeks after the first surgery and about 10 after the second. My legs were more straight and one effect was an increase in saddle height: I went from about 70.5cm to 73cm currently. During recovery and increased saddle height does help with what may be some limited range of motion, that is where I would start and making sure your increased saddle height is not causing any other soft tissue issues.

I would also pay special attention to your foot position in the shoe, just ensure that you do not have any pronation that was not there before> For whatever reasons I began probating on my left foot after surgery and I now use a couple of wedges in my cleats to deal with some funky leg motion.

DO not under-estimate the time it takes to fully heal from this surgery. I felt great after I was on the bike again and thought I was doing a conservative increase in distance and intensity, but I did develop some soft tissue issues in my left leg that were a result of over-use too early. Strength training for your glues, quads, and hip flexors as well as overall leg flexibility will make a full return to cycling less likely to cause any problems later.

Depending on how comfortable you are with making fit adjustments, it is not a bad idea to find a good fitter, preferably with some physical therapy or anatomical knowledge, to help with your post-surgery positioning on the bike. It may take awhile before you are ready for that because it just takes some time to get used to what may be a whole new pedaling stroke.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-17, 08:32 AM
rickwtx
G*tti*g B*ck o* Ro*d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fitting

thanks for the responses. I'm trying to wait til weeks 8 to 10 before I get back on, doing lots of stretches and bending before hand. Now that my legs are straight I'm hoping I won't have my old right-foot-rotating i used to have. A doctor riding behind once commented he'd never seen so much rotation per revolution. Joing the local Y today and hoping to get my legs back into some shape by week #10 post-surgery.
Old 08-21-17, 09:14 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
In addition to the usual rehab work, very early after surgery I used the bike on a trainer to help with increasing range of motion. I raised my saddle and just rocked back and forth until i could make a full revolution then once or so a day I spent time just pedaling under no to light load. It helped significantly to return range of motion and reassure me that I could cycle again. Eight weeks was about the earliest I felt comfortable in going out on the roads again and even then I was cautious, but it worked out. The main point is not to push too much too soon and delay recovery with a series of set backs, something that seems to be very usual for those of us with knee replacements. Good luck and keep riding....