Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SRAM Hydraulic Brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

SRAM Hydraulic Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 12:57 PM
wunderchicken

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM Hydraulic Brakes

I have 2 questions but figure anyone familiar with SRAM hydraulic brakes can probably answer them.

1. My spec says I have SRAM Rival brakes but the label on the calipar say SRAM Force. A picture of the rear caliper is attached to the post. Are Force Shifters and Rival calipers even compatible? I figures either the bike store I bought my bike from put the Force calipers on there because they had them or the spec refers to Rival rotors. Here's the spec:

FRONT BRAKE: SRAM Rival 1, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
REAR BRAKE: SRAM Rival 1, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
SHIFT LEVERS: SRAM Force Hydraulic Disc
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sequoia-expert/p/116168

2. When adjusting the pull on my SRAM Force Hydraulic brake levers, do I need to have a bleed kit? As I reduce the pull distance so my tiny hands can easily reach the brakes from the drops, I assume this is essentially pulling the brake lever. Thus, I'd think I'd need to also readjust the fluid in the brake lines accordingly.

Thanks for you help!
Old 08-04-18, 08:34 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, Force and Rival are compatible. Force is one grade nicer than Rival.

If you look on the inner side of the shifters, there should be a screw labeled "reach". Adjust that first, that will change the starting point of the shifters without changing how they pull on the the brake.

Old 08-04-18, 09:26 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'll bet the Rival and Force calipers are exactly the same. SRAM generally uses the exact same internal mechanisms (not similar, literally exactly the same) across grades and then surrounds them with fancier materials at the higher end.
Old 08-05-18, 04:52 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
To answer your question #2 . Having small hands also, I moved the levers back on my Force/Hydro quite a bit. Didn't change the braking at all for me. Still have a bit of free travel and no brake rub. YMMV
Old 08-07-18, 05:25 PM
wunderchicken

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I must have watched a YouTube video on mechanical brakes. I shortened the gap without any rubbing issues and my tiny hands are happier for it!