Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Chain Issues

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Chain Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 02:04 AM
Shemmy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
New Chain Issues

This is my second road bike but the first I have taken seriously, just finished my first 1000k on it with 105 Shimano R7000 and decided to replace the chain with a KMC 11 Speed Gold Chain. I matched the chain length to the previous chain during install. When in the two biggest sprocket on the cassette and on the 50 chainring it will drop to the 34 chainring, if I am hill climbing and the tension is great it sometimes holds. No issues in the 34 chainring at all or in the 50 at the smaller sprockets. It feels a lot smoother than the old chain, I only did about 5km testing it out and noticed the issue, which brought me here looking for advice.
Old 06-14-20, 03:02 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Are you sure you didn't drop an extra link?
Old 06-14-20, 03:54 AM
Shemmy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
Are you sure you didn't drop an extra link?
I will double check but I don’t believe so.
Old 06-14-20, 07:05 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
1000k on a chain - seems pretty short. How badly worn was the chain you replaced?
Likes For tntyz:
Old 06-14-20, 07:15 AM
Shemmy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shemmy
I will double check but I don’t believe so.
The new chain has the exact same link count as the old. Not the issue than.

Originally Posted by tntyz
1000k on a chain - seems pretty short. How badly worn was the chain you replaced?
I was very rough on the chain when I first got it, cleaned up my shifting and then decided to upgrade from the stock shimano chain to the KMC 11 Speed.

Still do not have a fix to the issue. It only has trouble in the 50 Chainring with the 25 & 28 sprocket.
Old 06-14-20, 08:20 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
This is my second road bike but the first I have taken seriously, just finished my first 1000k on it with 105 Shimano R7000 and decided to replace the chain with a KMC 11 Speed Gold Chain. I matched the chain length to the previous chain during install. When in the two biggest sprocket on the cassette and on the 50 chainring it will drop to the 34 chainring, if I am hill climbing and the tension is great it sometimes holds. No issues in the 34 chainring at all or in the 50 at the smaller sprockets. It feels a lot smoother than the old chain, I only did about 5km testing it out and noticed the issue, which brought me here looking for advice.
You may want to reconsider your gear selection. This is cross-chaining which will generally run poorly and cause more rapid chain wear. Dropping down to the 34 chainring and running in the middle of the cassette will be smoother and help your chain last longer.

Interesting that you didn't see this happening on the Shimano chain.
Old 06-14-20, 09:24 AM
Shemmy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tntyz
You may want to reconsider your gear selection. This is cross-chaining which will generally run poorly and cause more rapid chain wear. Dropping down to the 34 chainring and running in the middle of the cassette will be smoother and help your chain last longer.

Interesting that you didn't see this happening on the Shimano chain.
it would slightly rub in 50 with 28 but never drop and run like a champ but could be why I am replacing it because I tore it up. The KMC is definitely smoother, quieter and just feels better but the dropping in 28 and sometimes 25 while in 50.
Old 06-14-20, 10:12 AM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I use a 52-34 chainring and 11-28 cassette on SRAM. I really, really try not to cross-chain and pay attention to my big to small shifts b/c of the wide range. If I do cross chain it will sometimes pop off the 52, but only if I'm in the 28 and normally when I have a dirty drivetrain. Having issues in the 25 makes me think something other than alignment is up.
Old 06-14-20, 10:16 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Possible bent tooth in big chainring.

Adjust FD.
Old 06-14-20, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Adjust the trim position of your FD.
Old 06-14-20, 12:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Make sure your front DR is still fully going to the high limit. Shift into the 50 and then pull on the bare cable. If the DR moves very much, then give a partial turn or two to the inline adjuster. If you don't have one, then you'll have to re-secure the cable in the holdfast which might be more issues for you if your DIY abilities and sensibilities aren't up to par.

Possibly could be the high limit needs to be moved some. But that's rarer.

Don't worry about the cross-chaining nay-sayers. Just pity them that their bikes can't do it well. <grin>

It's not like you are cross-chaining for a long time during the ride. If you are, you need to change your gearing.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-14-20 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 01:28 PM
Shemmy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Adjust the trim position of your FD.
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Possible bent tooth in big chainring.

Adjust FD.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Make sure your front DR is still fully going to the high limit. Shift into the 50 and then pull on the bare cable. If the DR moves very much, then give a partial turn or two to the inline adjuster. If you don't have one, then you'll have to re-secure the cable in the holdfast which might be more issues for you if your DIY abilities and sensibilities aren't up to par.

Possibly could be the high limit needs to be moved some. But that's rarer.

Don't worry about the cross-chaining nay-sayers. Just pity them that their bikes can't do it well. <grin>

It's not like you are cross-chaining for a long time during the ride. If you are, you need to change your gearing.
High adjustment was way out to toward the frame leaving a lot of gap for the chain to get through. Brought it in, cannot test tonight due to pouring rain but will test tomorrow morning.
Old 06-14-20, 02:21 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Just between us I am having a great deal of trouble with 11 speed chains. The space between the cogs is so narrow that one click on the rear derailleur cable adjust is enough for it to start making noise which can lead to jumping chains. Right now I'm having it CRACK once in awhile like it tried to change cogs and jumped back. About the only thing I can think of is that there is a slightly misaligned rear derailleur hanger. I've checked it and it appears to be OK but I don't have the real tool so can't see close enough. Guess I'll have to take it to a shop I trust.

The basis of this problem all started with Lance Armstrong wanting an extra gear for climbing and they changed from the super reliable 8 speed to the 9 and the cog race began.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 06-14-20, 02:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
High adjustment was way out to toward the frame leaving a lot of gap for the chain to get through. Brought it in, cannot test tonight due to pouring rain but will test tomorrow morning.
Are you adjusting while in the trim position? If you're adjusting so that there's minimal gap between the chain and FD cage while in the largest cogs, you should be doing so while in the trim position.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-14-20, 04:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
The basis of this problem all started with Lance Armstrong wanting an extra gear for climbing and they changed from the super reliable 8 speed to the 9 and the cog race began.
They still make those "super reliable" 8 speed rears if you want them. Or are currently happily riding one. <grin>
Old 06-14-20, 04:34 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
So, if it hadn't been for Lance Armstrong, we'd still be using 8 speed cassettes? Forget about doping, this is the real story!
Old 06-16-20, 12:30 PM
Shemmy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Adjusting the trim for the H on front derailleur fixed the issue. I can tell at times it wants to come off but it cannot due to the adjustments.
Old 06-18-20, 05:04 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Just watch this video:
Old 06-18-20, 05:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I never use the two biggest cogs while in the big ring, or the smallest two cogs when in the small ring. Because there's you know... no need. Bish bosh, done.
Old 06-18-20, 06:07 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I never use the two biggest cogs while in the big ring, or the smallest two cogs when in the small ring. Because there's you know... no need. Bish bosh, done.
Exactamundo!