Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Better Steel Balls for Bearing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Better Steel Balls for Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 06:09 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Kids bikes use plastic bushings. Flanged bronze bushings would handle the minor side loads.
You know how many Schwinn Air Dynes with bronze bushings I've over hauled? Hundreds. You know how many of them needed new bronze bushings?

Every one.
Old 03-18-18, 06:47 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
What I'm saying is....
What you are saying is that you are willing to ignore the other variables, including the various tolerances and variables of cones, cups, cup seats, axles and threading, not to mention assembly and adjustment, in order to obsess about bearing diameter differences that "could" be significant, and that you admittedly just made up, because you once read something somewhere. If you insist on worrying I would suggest you never have bearings worked on in a shop - because they pour a new batch of loose balls in with the old ones, and that you replace all the bearings in any new bike with ones that are certified as being from the same batch.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 03-18-18 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-18-18, 02:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
To piggy back on cny's thoughts (which I agree with) but for those who think bushings will be as good or better then a roller element bearing I suggest go ahead and make one. Then come back and give us your findings. Please track costs including time and the after test period break down and reassembly. Andy
Old 03-18-18, 03:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
On a grade 25 ball, the entire range of +/- is not wide enough to matter in a bicycle application.
Yes, if limiting ourselves to the narrow question of how much functional difference it makes in a bicycle application, it makes little or any.

However, mixing lots takes the variance beyond the limits for the given grade, and essentially downgrades them. So, there's no reason to pay a premium for a higher grade (lower number) only to degrade immediately.

For those who may not understand this, keep in mind that the lot tolerance is tighter than the overall tolerance. It's kind of like buying paint. All of a specific brand's "burnt cinnamon orange" is the same color, but there will be subtle variations between production lots. This is why experienced painters buy all they expect to need in a single purchase from the same lot.

The question of mixing lots goes to the core of why they track production of many items, ie. paint and steel balls by lot.

Finally, we get back to the question of "best practices". While mixing lots probably doesn't make a difference, not mixing them is free and balls cheap enough. So, while there may not be much reason to avoid mixing lots, there's no valid reason to do so, and I for one, wouldn't trust a mechanic who tires to claim otherwise.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-18-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 03:36 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
You'll need matched grade 25 or better to prevent vibration (above 30,000 rpm).