Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone 50+ Using Incident Detection?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone 50+ Using Incident Detection?

Old 02-10-20, 07:21 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
a good possibility.
lol
Old 02-10-20, 07:25 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Has anyone here actually had an "incident" occur while riding that left them physically unable to use a cellphone and the incident detection device/app combination(s) sent out an alert that resulted in the first (or any) appropriate response from an emergency agency?

If not, do you know of any credible reports of the incident detection equipment under discussion actually resulting in the initial emergency response or aid to any "incident" incapacitated cyclists? Has any "incident alerted" spouse become the actual first responder or been the first to notify 911 personnel of an incapacitated cyclist?
No, My spouse was called but I was responsive. Now if I hadn't been wearing my helmet, the answer would have been yes Seriously though, a traffic incident will usually only notify your spouse of the incident - somebody would call 911. I use mine for the rides I do in the middle of nowhere where I am on a low traffic trail or very low traffic roads. often my rides are like this now I am not commuting.

Last edited by GeneO; 02-10-20 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 10:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Has anyone here actually had an "incident" occur while riding that left them physically unable to use a cellphone and the incident detection device/app combination(s) sent out an alert that resulted in the first (or any) appropriate response from an emergency agency?

If not, do you know of any credible reports of the incident detection equipment under discussion actually resulting in the initial emergency response or aid to any "incident" incapacitated cyclists? Has any "incident alerted" spouse become the actual first responder or been the first to notify 911 personnel of an incapacitated cyclist?
Originally Posted by GeneO
No
As I expect is true for almost all bicyclists who expect their devices' incident notification feature to provide any first aid benefits to an incapacitated bicyclist.

A reading of the discussion on this thread indicates use of such devices may provide some comfort to anxious spouses when they don't receive any notifications of an incident.

The spouse warning feature also seems to provide some bicyclists justification for obtaining another item for the equipment/device/app collection, as well as the possibility for some of spouse acquiescence with their solo bicycle riding.
Old 02-12-20, 05:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

Plenty of incident reports are at Road ID, Apple, Garmin, and several of the app websites and reviews. I got mine because I had a crash that resulted in a concussion with no alert device on back then. The crash was out in an agricultural area, with few house or traffic. After about 45 minutes (I am going by last time known and what the driver, that found me standing and staring off, mumbling, told me the current time,) before someone came by and got me home. I balked at the ER, my mistake as I had some serious injuries that bit me in the ass later on.

If you don't like or want a device, app, Phone, GPS, etc, that is your choice. hope you never have the need for any of them, but some of us want to be prepared, and will not be refusing to try some new technology,

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 02-12-20 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 07:18 PM
chainstay
Peace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
As I expect is true for almost all bicyclists who expect their devices' incident notification feature to provide any first aid benefits to an incapacitated bicyclist.

A reading of the discussion on this thread indicates use of such devices may provide some comfort to anxious spouses when they don't receive any notifications of an incident.

The spouse warning feature also seems to provide some bicyclists justification for obtaining another item for the equipment/device/app collection, as well as the possibility for some of spouse acquiescence with their solo bicycle riding.
Who gives a **** what you think? Nobody, that's who.
Likes For chainstay:
Old 02-13-20, 09:02 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
..... The spouse warning feature also seems to provide some bicyclists justification for obtaining another item for the equipment/device/app collection, as well as the possibility for some of spouse acquiescence with their solo bicycle riding.
Yeah! It's sort of like that life insurance policy that you have. Doesn't do you a damn bit of good when you die but gives you some piece of mind while you're living that there will be at least enough money to bury you with and that your spouse will have enough left to survive on for a while.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-13-20, 11:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Yeah! It's sort of like that life insurance policy that you have. Doesn't do you a damn bit of good when you die but gives you some piece of mind while you're living that there will be at least enough money to bury you with and that your spouse will have enough left to survive on for a while.
I agree that life insurance does provide financial protection, but doesn't do a bit of good for prolonging the life of the insured or providing the insured any type of life or health protection. Life insurance would probably not provide so much peace of mind if all it did was send a notification to the beneficiary that something may have happened to the insured, except when it doesn't.

IMO few would buy life insurance with the expectation that it would provide the insured any life saving or emergency response function in case of an incident; wishful thinking compounded by group think indicates that I may be wrong though.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-13-20 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 03:07 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I fell face down and became unconscious for 3.5 minutes while riding with a group about 16 months ago. Fortunately, one of the other riders was a podiatrist who immediately realized my airway was obstructed. He and two other people turned me over, which immediately opened my airway. I was not breathing for about 80 seconds. I know this because my Cyclic Fly 6 was pointing right at me when the bike was lying in the street. I timed the airway obstruction and unconscious state when I watched the footage later that day. I did not have the Garmin Incident Detection activated, but I do now.

My wife has been a bit nervous about my cycling since I started 6 years ago, and she's getting a bit more concerned recently. So I activated the Garmin incident detection feature, I bought the Aftershokz Aeropex wireless headphones (not in the ear) and I have even considered getting a dedicated GPS tracker that will pick up multiple GPS satellites that a normal cell phone will not. We also enjoy hiking in some remote locations and have been investigating a purchase of this last piece of equipment recently. The Aftershokz headphones will allow me to easily answer my phone if she ever wants to call me. It is not an earbud, so I can hear surrounding traffic or other riders. A dedicated GPS is more reliable than a cell phone GPS because it will pick up far more GPS satellites in places with no cell phone coverage. Some even have an emergency satellite button in case you are in a real remote location in a life threatening emergency. Unfortunately, you need to be conscious to hit the panic button for it to work.

There is currently no perfect emergency system, but this is what I'm going with right now. Frankly I don't care if someone thinks I want or like to purchase gadgets or if I have too many devices on my bike. If you don't like them, just look away; I'm not asking you to pedal my bike for me. I love cycling, and I love my wife. If I need to carry a couple of extra devices to keep her comfortable, so be it.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 02-15-20, 06:54 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I fell face down and became unconscious for 3.5 minutes while riding with a group about 16 months ago. Fortunately, one of the other riders was a podiatrist who immediately realized my airway was obstructed. He and two other people turned me over, which immediately opened my airway. I was not breathing for about 80 seconds. I know this because my Cyclic Fly 6 was pointing right at me when the bike was lying in the street. I timed the airway obstruction and unconscious state when I watched the footage later that day. I did not have the Garmin Incident Detection activated, but I do now.

My wife has been a bit nervous about my cycling since I started 6 years ago, and she's getting a bit more concerned recently. So I activated the Garmin incident detection feature, I bought the Aftershokz Aeropex wireless headphones (not in the ear) and I have even considered getting a dedicated GPS tracker that will pick up multiple GPS satellites that a normal cell phone will not. We also enjoy hiking in some remote locations and have been investigating a purchase of this last piece of equipment recently. The Aftershokz headphones will allow me to easily answer my phone if she ever wants to call me. It is not an earbud, so I can hear surrounding traffic or other riders. A dedicated GPS is more reliable than a cell phone GPS because it will pick up far more GPS satellites in places with no cell phone coverage. Some even have an emergency satellite button in case you are in a real remote location in a life threatening emergency. Unfortunately, you need to be conscious to hit the panic button for it to work.

There is currently no perfect emergency system, but this is what I'm going with right now. Frankly I don't care if someone thinks I want or like to purchase gadgets or if I have too many devices on my bike. If you don't like them, just look away; I'm not asking you to pedal my bike for me. I love cycling, and I love my wife. If I need to carry a couple of extra devices to keep her comfortable, so be it.
Old 04-29-20, 04:00 PM
rmacg

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ and using Incident Detection

Originally Posted by jppe
We had yet another rider hit by a car this week. Young Pro Rider with badly damaged leg and brain surgery required. It’s our 4th in about a month.

Apparently Garmin and others might have gadgets available to let someone know if there’s an issue.

Anyone using something like that or even a remote mapping feature.

Asking for my wife.....she’s getting pretty nervous with all my solo adventures.
I have used this feature on the Garmin Edge 820 since 2016 after a crash which yielded 2 broken legs for me. Since using the 820 I had one episode and the detection worked exactly like it should. In that situation only my pride was injured and I was able to cancel the distress signal before it was sent! In addition to the 820 I also use the Road ID app but that app will not send for help until you're stationary for five minutes - which could make a HUGE difference in the outcome.
Old 04-29-20, 06:05 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Yesterday, 4 of us were riding along a little over halfway into an 80-miler, when one of our group had their phone start blaring a siren like sound, at which time we all had to find a reasonable place to stop so the false alarm could be cancelled, before it sent a false alarm to someone else. Sorry, but I don't know what system it was.
That's the only experience I have with these incident detection setups.

Last edited by Miles2go; 04-29-20 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added more detail.
Old 03-27-21, 09:02 AM
Ralphinca

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reactivating this thread to see if we can get it updated. Just started riding again and would like to know the latest on this subject. Technology changes fast - this thread is a year old at this point.

Mostly interested in incident detection and texts to a select group of people if there is a problem.
Old 03-27-21, 11:56 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralphinca
Reactivating this thread to see if we can get it updated. Just started riding again and would like to know the latest on this subject. Technology changes fast - this thread is a year old at this point.

Mostly interested in incident detection and texts to a select group of people if there is a problem.
Not sure much has changed but the latest Garmins support that feature. If an incident is detected you have 30 Seconds to cancel, otherwise it will send an SMS message to whoever you setup in the emergency contacts list. Never had to use it but it's low-cost insurance that will hopefully never be needed.
Old 03-27-21, 01:03 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
My wife is happy with the beacon service included with my Lezyne Super Pro/App. She feels better checking up on me occasionally. While I've cycled freely since childhood, by the time my kids were old enough to notice my favorite hobby; I was careful about not being too encouraging. We did the occasional MUP or event ride, even some trails, but I've never invited to them to street ride. If they had organically expressed interest I wouldn't have tried to stop them, but drivers already so bad at that point I didn't feel comfortable proactively encouraging them to join me in street riding.
Old 03-28-21, 03:58 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralphinca
Reactivating this thread to see if we can get it updated.
Here's my understanding. I live in the Apple ecosystem, and don't really know what's going on with Android.
  • iPhones don't have incident detection built-in, but the Apple Watch does (disabled by default). I haven't tried turning it on. In theory, you could also enable Siri on the watch and make calls even if you couldn't reach your phone, as long as the phone is in range of the watch, and the watch is in range of your mouth, and you're conscious (or you can get an Apple Watch with cellular and dispense with the phone). Although incident detection could be implemented as a feature in a phone app, none of the major cycling apps have done so. They all do have tracker features, and the iPhone comes with the "Find my" app by default, which lets other people track you if you set them up in advance (my wife checks up on me during my long rides with Find My sometimes). For most of us, cellphones are good enough. When I'm following a route, my phone's GPS is accurate enough to tell if I'm on the wrong side of the road, and cellular coverage is has gotten pretty good, even out in the sticks, depending on what network you're on (I'm on Verizon specifically because they have good coverage in remote areas).
  • Satellite trackers like the Spot and Garmin inReach do not have incident detection (AFAICT) but do let you send an SOS message from a remote location where there is no cellular coverage. These are expensive gadgets, and the service plans are also expensive. Your location can be tracked, and some of the fancier ones allow for two-way text communication.
  • There's another kind of SOS gadget for use in the wilderness called a "personal locator beacon." These are one-use, "break glass in case of emergency" devices. They do not require any service plan. Also don't have incident detection. More on these and the difference between them and trackers here.

Last edited by adamrice; 03-30-21 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 09:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
No, but my daughter has suggested it. I use an I phone, and it's my understanding that the apple watch has that feature. I don't ride alone in the mountains very often, but it would sure come in handy for that.

Unlike just about everybody I know, I don't ride with a GPS device. I kind of wish I had been when I had my crash. At least, I would know how fast I was going in precisely where I crashed. At this point, I'm gonna have to rely on getting that information from my good Samaritan friend when I finally take he and his wife out to dinner.
Hmm, I've been thinking abot this, too. I just read a review of smart watches, and the Apple one seems to be very capable when paired with an iPhone.
Old 03-30-21, 11:16 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
RoadID - the bracelet people - have a good free app for iOS
Strava does it
Garmin does it
Yeah, these depend on a cellular signal.
Old 03-30-21, 06:20 PM
drsmoooth

Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts
I use the Specialized Propero 3 with ANGi. It tracks your position via GPS and sends a link to my contacts on start and stop of my ride. It also has crash detection and will notify all my emergency contacts with GPS location of where I am. It it a good piece of mind for me as I have spoken to people who said they have crashed on the trail somewhere and no one knows where they are or even that they were hurt. So I looked at the marked and found the Specialized with ANGi for my needs.
Old 03-31-21, 10:19 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Since noticing this thread, I've looked into it. My wife and I carry a PLB when we're backpacking. The rule with that device is that "If you push the button, a helicopter will come. If it's not a life threatening emergency, you're going to have a very large S&R bill." I've seen the helicopter come.

The other devices are just something I don't want to get involved with. If I ever needed to have anything like that, I'd be out of cell service, so that'd mean a satellite rig. That's just too much money and bother, plus the chance of false alarms. Living has risks no matter what. I just had a very good friend and riding buddy die in bed at 60 y.o, really strong guy in fabulous physical condition, had spent the day backcountry skiing. I've made it this far and think I'll just keep going.

I'm a road rider though. If I rode BC trails, I might have a different opinion - or maybe not. I think I'd just carry the PLB, figuring that if I needed help, it'd be because the bike was broken and I couldn't walk. That's life-threatening in the back country. If I crashed but didn't really need help, letting my wife know I had a problem might not be the best approach. If I could walk out, I could always come back for the bike later, no need for S&R.
Old 03-31-21, 10:40 AM
drsmoooth

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Since noticing this thread, I've looked into it. My wife and I carry a PLB when we're backpacking. The rule with that device is that "If you push the button, a helicopter will come. If it's not a life threatening emergency, you're going to have a very large S&R bill." I've seen the helicopter come.

The other devices are just something I don't want to get involved with. If I ever needed to have anything like that, I'd be out of cell service, so that'd mean a satellite rig. That's just too much money and bother, plus the chance of false alarms. Living has risks no matter what. I just had a very good friend and riding buddy die in bed at 60 y.o, really strong guy in fabulous physical condition, had spent the day backcountry skiing. I've made it this far and think I'll just keep going.

I'm a road rider though. If I rode BC trails, I might have a different opinion - or maybe not. I think I'd just carry the PLB, figuring that if I needed help, it'd be because the bike was broken and I couldn't walk. That's life-threatening in the back country. If I crashed but didn't really need help, letting my wife know I had a problem might not be the best approach. If I could walk out, I could always come back for the bike later, no need for S&R.
It sounds like an ANGi device would also work for your needs. Mine came with my helmet but you can just purchase the device and carry it while you hike. There is a timer setting that if there is a false alarm, you can stop it from falsely notifying your contacts. There is a setting for out of range activity. Set a timer and if you are not back by that time you set, your contact will be notified to look for you at the last known GPS location. Assume you are rinding along the road, fall into a ditch and are knocked out. With the ANGi device, it will contact your contacts with your location and get you help. Can not press any button for help if you are knocked out so this device may also enhance what you already have. There is no charge for this service or features.
Old 03-31-21, 10:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by drsmoooth
It sounds like an ANGi device would also work for your needs. Mine came with my helmet but you can just purchase the device and carry it while you hike. There is a timer setting that if there is a false alarm, you can stop it from falsely notifying your contacts. There is a setting for out of range activity. Set a timer and if you are not back by that time you set, your contact will be notified to look for you at the last known GPS location. Assume you are rinding along the road, fall into a ditch and are knocked out. With the ANGi device, it will contact your contacts with your location and get you help. Can not press any button for help if you are knocked out so this device may also enhance what you already have. There is no charge for this service or features.
Yes, but connects to your phone?? If I were in cell range, I wouldn't need anything like that. I don't ride or hike anywhere interesting that's within cell range. And I sure as heck don't want anyone looking for me at my last known GPS location!
Old 03-31-21, 01:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Yes, but connects to your phone?? If I were in cell range, I wouldn't need anything like that. I don't ride or hike anywhere interesting that's within cell range. And I sure as heck don't want anyone looking for me at my last known GPS location!
I would have said the same thing up until July 27 2019. After crashing at mile 39, I wasn't cognizant enough to use a phone till fully getting my senses back in my hospital room some 12 hours later. I still have no recollection of what happened to actually cause the wreck. Thankfully some walkers happened upon me soon after and they were medically trained.

I've got ANGi and Garmin's crash protection since the wreck. Now I need to get some camera's just in case I have amnesia next time.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what your point is.
Old 03-31-21, 02:25 PM
drsmoooth

That is a really good example of how the ANGi device would be a good tool to use.
Old 03-31-21, 02:43 PM
drsmoooth

Ok, I get it, it's not for everyone.

However.... Wife and I were camping and we went into town to get some coffee. On the way, I decided to take my truck off-road. The dirt road was twisty and got too narrow so I had turn around. There was a cliff on one side and a drop-off on the other. I managed to turn the truck around as the ground was breaking away from beneath my truck; very stressful and stupid. No one knew we had taken this road and we lost coverage while on the road. If I had ANGI and we went down the drop off, our contact would have been notified and help would know our last known position and the direction we were going.
Old 03-31-21, 02:50 PM
drsmoooth

It's not for everyone.

My story.... Wife and I were camping and we went into town to get some coffee. On the way, I decided to take my truck off-road. The dirt road was twisty and got too narrow so I had turn around. There was a cliff on one side and a drop-off on the other. I managed to turn the truck around as the ground was breaking away from beneath my truck; very stressful and stupid. No one knew we had taken this road and we lost coverage while on the road. If we had ANGI and we went down the drop off, our contacts would have been notified and help would know our last known position and the direction we were going.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.