Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-17, 12:38 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's reserved for future updates so they can make marketing claims like the new Diverge shaves off 500g from the previous version
Old 07-13-17, 06:01 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 07-14-17, 04:02 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
That E5 looks good. FYI my 54cm '17 A1 weighs 22.5 stripped of everything. I calculated how much weight I would drop if I replaced the Claris shifters/derailleurs with 105 and the difference was virtually nothing, just a few grams. 105 weighs more than I thought.
Old 07-14-17, 04:19 AM
eppan

Bikes: Coppi Campionissimo, Gios Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, the color actually looks quite nice! Do you Custard remember what size is this turquoise E5 pictured? 52 perhaps?
Old 07-14-17, 05:50 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eppan
Nice, the color actually looks quite nice! Do you Custard remember what size is this turquoise E5 pictured? 52 perhaps?
It's a 54. It was a beautiful bike, although I'm surprised Specialized would want to use a color that seems to be ripping off Bianchi.

I actually couldn't shift onto the big ring, which means I don't think I'll be buying from this shop!

Next time I'm in a shop I'll see if I can get a 54 2017 Elite DSW weighed.
Old 07-16-17, 04:54 PM
ToiletSiphon

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How robust is the E5 frame? Does it feels more solid than a "pure" road bike? I'm tempted to get one for commuting, hauling my kid in a trailer and some road riding, and I want something bullet proof.
Old 07-16-17, 08:01 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon
How robust is the E5 frame? Does it feels more solid than a "pure" road bike? I'm tempted to get one for commuting, hauling my kid in a trailer and some road riding, and I want something bullet proof.
It should be plenty robust, the Diverge E5 frame weight isn't light by any means (the 2018 Allez E5 are lighter) and with the terrain that Spesh plan this bike to be ridden, I'm pretty sure they overbuilt certain areas (probably closer to a MTB).

Cause Spesh wouldn't want to have their frames to crack easily and having to replace them.

Oh and if you're not into gravel/need large volume tyres, do consider the 2018 Allez as well since it now comes with rear rack mounts as well (so you can commute).
Old 07-17-17, 12:13 AM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just a few notes from me as i spent a good hour riding the new Diverge Comp around on some nice climbs, a small amount of trails (all hardpack), and some nice cobbles.

This is coming from the perspective of a guy who owns a 2013 Fargo, a 2015 Roubaix, and a 2016 Cutthroat.

1. The FutureShock - I'm 115kg/250 lbs, and when I stood out of the saddle to climb a hill, I didn't notice the shock. When I got to a flat, stood and hammered to accelerate hard, I didn't notice the shock. When I turned around and descended down the cobblestone road, I noticed the shock because I *didn't* notice the cobblestones. I was a skeptic about the FutureShock. Now I'm a believer. Enough said from me on that.

2. The one I rode came with 38c Trigger Pros. I'm a big fan of the tires, I like their all around use. Substantial clearance with the 38s. Easily enough to ride the 38s in the mud using front and rear fenders. LBS fit a 42c Sawtooth with room to spare as well, but don't think enough room to fit 42c and fenders

3. Riding position is notably more relaxed than the Roubaix (2015 Roubaix geometry is notably more relaxed than 2017) or even the Sequoia. Not quite as relaxed as my Cutthroat or Fargo.

4. I basically had my Sequoia built from the frame up, and it's 22#. The Diverge felt noticeably lighter, even with the Axis wheelset

5. The "satin blue" Comp looks a lot more like the dark Indigo on some of Spec's other bikes. It actually looks pretty darn good.

6. The 105 and the Praxis shifted surprisingly well, better than I remember 105 shifting (my Roubaix has Ultegra). That said, I'm targeting the Expert as i'm a fan of the SLX24 wheelset as well as Force 1
Old 07-17-17, 12:19 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, so your dealer allowed you to ride the Diverge Comp on real trails for an hour?

Yeah, the FutureShock is definitely not a gimmick and I hope it'll continue on for years to come, something like Specialized Brain for the Epic MTB lineup.

I just receive the 2017 Roubaix and my neighbourhood had some trails where it's paved but the roads are in very bad condition, I basically cycled through those areas like how I do with my previous Giant Anthem, sure it's not MTB suspension plush (and you really can feel the frame vibrate) but your arms doesn't hurt at all (definitely smoother than a road bike).

I ended up choosing the Roubaix over Diverge as where I live, its "offroad" is usually paved (as the farmers uses it) and it'll be in a poor condition (cracked, potholes and etc). Oh and as I live on an island, "offroad" are mainly hills over flat roads, the only flats you can get if you actually cycle on the road

Last edited by wheelhot; 07-17-17 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 12:46 AM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Wow, so your dealer allowed you to ride the Diverge Comp on real trails for an hour?
my family has bought a dozen bikes from the same shop. They take care of me, I take care of them.

Originally Posted by wheelhot
Yeah, the FutureShock is definitely not a gimmick and I hope it'll continue on for years to come, something like Specialized Brain for the Epic MTB lineup.

I just receive the 2017 Roubaix and my neighbourhood had some trails where it's paved but the roads are in very bad condition, I basically cycled through those areas like how I do with my previous Giant Anthem, sure it's not MTB suspension plush (and you really can feel the frame vibrate) but your arms doesn't hurt at all (definitely smoother than a road bike).

I ended up choosing the Roubaix over Diverge as where I live, its "offroad" is usually paved (as the farmers uses it) and it'll be in a poor condition (cracked, potholes and etc). Oh and as I live on an island, "offroad" are mainly hills over flat roads, the only flats you can get if you actually cycle on the road
yeah, makes sense. I'll be looking for some dual use of the bike, on- and off-road use, gravel, pavement, mucked up pavement, etc.

and yes the futureshock really takes the buzz entirely out of the equation in a good way.
Old 07-17-17, 12:59 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrobo
my family has bought a dozen bikes from the same shop. They take care of me, I take care of them.

yeah, makes sense. I'll be looking for some dual use of the bike, on- and off-road use, gravel, pavement, mucked up pavement, etc.

and yes the futureshock really takes the buzz entirely out of the equation in a good way.
Nowonder, my dealer is friendly with me as well since I know them for 10 years+ (before they become Spesh Concept Store), however I didn't get those perks. Haha

Yup, same as me. I wanted a bike that I can go anywhere, thankfully Spesh introduced the FutureShock in 2017, made selection much more easier.

Anyway, regarding tyre sizes, the Roubaix Comp comes with R470db which I assume has the same dimensions as a R460db. So will a 32C with knobbies be slightly smaller? As if I'm not mistaken, rim inner width affects how big the tyres will be when inflated?

As the 2017 Roubaix fits up to 32C tyres.

Currently considering a Panaracer GravelKing SK (hmm, there's the non-SK version at 32mm also, but it seems they're no knobs?) for my training tyres.
Old 07-17-17, 02:51 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
I had the bike shop weigh the 2018 Comp E5 and their analog hanging scale said 22.5lb. I had my digital with me just in case and it read the same. This is with basic plastic pedals and reflectors still on. Still, a full pound heavier than what was reported.
Brutal, that's almost what my Tamland weighs and I have several hundred less into it than the price of the Diverge.
Old 07-18-17, 04:56 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Brutal, that's almost what my Tamland weighs and I have several hundred less into it than the price of the Diverge.
Raleigh lists the Tamland 1 at 24.23lb. And I assume you got the corporate discount -- regular price is the exact same as Diverge E5 Comp, $1799.

I do wish there were a corporate code for Spesh!

Last edited by curttard; 07-18-17 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 05:02 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrobo
just a few notes from me as i spent a good hour riding the new Diverge Comp around on some nice climbs, a small amount of trails (all hardpack), and some nice cobbles.

This is coming from the perspective of a guy who owns a 2013 Fargo, a 2015 Roubaix, and a 2016 Cutthroat.
How does the Diverge compare on smooth road to your Roubaix? Do you notice it feeling more sluggish etc?

Last edited by curttard; 07-18-17 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 05:24 AM
Rennvelo

Bikes: Specialiced Roubaix Comp 2017; Giant Anthem X1 2008 (MTB)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Max cassette with 105 rear derailleur

I orderered a Diverge Comp E5. What is the largest cassette I can use with Shimano 105 rear derailleur without going to have Problems? I do not want to castantly have to do adjustments. I just want the gearing to work smootheley. I do. not have a lot of experience screwing on a bike.

What about using an XT rear derailleur? Does this work together with 105 components? Can I use larger cassettes with XT derailleur?

I would like to have a 36 teeth cassette or larger.
Old 07-18-17, 05:57 AM
eppan

Bikes: Coppi Campionissimo, Gios Super Record

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my main concern too. The frame is perfect, and as far as I can say, there are no similar frames available, that provides heaps of performance and versatility (plenty of tire clearance, adventure ready mounts, low standover). But for 3450 euros (price for Carbon Comp in north Europe) unfortunately, it feels quite over priced, where one would expect at least Ultegra level components & better wheelset. The stock Carbon Comp weighs 2kg (4,5 lbs) more than my steel road bike. Still, I want one, but I'd like to see Specialized offering Diverge as a frameset too.

Last edited by eppan; 07-18-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 07:10 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Rennvelo
I orderered a Diverge Comp E5. What is the largest cassette I can use with Shimano 105 rear derailleur without going to have Problems? I do not want to castantly have to do adjustments. I just want the gearing to work smootheley. I do. not have a lot of experience screwing on a bike.

What about using an XT rear derailleur? Does this work together with 105 components? Can I use larger cassettes with XT derailleur?

JTek Shiftmate: Mix MTB Cassettes with STI Road Shifters to Lower Your Gearing - CyclingAbout
Old 07-18-17, 08:45 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But for 3450 euros (price for Carbon Comp in north Europe) unfortunately, it feels quite over priced, where one would expect at least Ultegra level components & better wheelset. The stock Carbon Comp weighs 2kg (4,5 lbs) more than my steel road bike. Still, I want one, but I'd like to see Specialized offering Diverge as a frameset too.
Yeah, not sure why but Spesh definitely under-specced their Diverge for 2018. Funny, considering the specs that Roubaix is getting.
Old 07-18-17, 09:32 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rennvelo

Shimano says the max cassette cog for the 105 mid cage RD is 32T, but many people are running those with 11-36 cassettes. Same for Ultegra. The Sequoia Elite comes standard with a 105 GS RD and 11-36 cassette. If in doubt or if you have any problems with that, the Wolf Tooth RoadLink is made to optimize that combination.

Shimano 11 speed road shifters do not play well with their MTB rear derailleurs. Wolf Tooth also makes the Tanpan to facilitate that combination.
Old 07-18-17, 10:20 AM
shoota 

Raleigh lists the Tamland 1 at 24.23lb. And I assume you got the corporate discount -- regular price is the exact same as Diverge E5 Comp, $1799.

I do wish there were a corporate code for Spesh!
Mine is sitting at 23lbs right now with a little more to come off still Adding up the bike, wheels, and bits I've bought for it I'm still well under $1799.
Old 07-18-17, 10:23 AM
shoota 

This is my main concern too. The frame is perfect, and as far as I can say, there are no similar frames available, that provides heaps of performance and versatility (plenty of tire clearance, adventure ready mounts, low standover). But for 3450 euros (price for Carbon Comp in north Europe) unfortunately, it feels quite over priced, where one would expect at least Ultegra level components & better wheelset. The stock Carbon Comp weighs 2kg (4,5 lbs) more than my steel road bike. Still, I want one, but I'd like to see Specialized offering Diverge as a frameset too.
Ah but they do. It's just twice as much as a full bike!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...rameset/128906
Old 07-18-17, 10:26 AM
shoota 

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see it. Can the stem be slammed with the FS?
Old 07-18-17, 10:43 AM
Lazyass

Sorry if this has been asked but I didn't see it. Can the stem be slammed with the FS?
That would be impossible.

Old 07-18-17, 11:47 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine is sitting at 23lbs right now with a little more to come off still Adding up the bike, wheels, and bits I've bought for it I'm still well under $1799.
Ah, but now you're not comparing apples to apples. You're comparing discounted Tamland after modifications to off-the-demo-floor Diverge at retail price.
Old 07-18-17, 12:01 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Lazyass
That would be impossible.

I kinda figured that might be the case. How much adjustment is available then?

Ah, but now you're not comparing apples to apples. You're comparing discounted Tamland after modifications to off-the-demo-floor Diverge at retail price.
I mean kinda, but everything I bought was available to anyone..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.