Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why Wabi?

Old 12-09-19, 12:00 PM
Casualcoolguy

Bikes: 2010 Bianchi Super Pista, 2012 Felt TK3, Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why Wabi?

Just curious why do Wabi’s appear to be so popular? Seems to me like a standard upper mid range steel framed track bike? Is it the price point or ride quality or both?
Old 12-09-19, 12:41 PM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I would suggest possibly the price and a solid reputation. From my experience I would say the ride, the customer service and the product itself.
Old 12-09-19, 02:28 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I bought one because it has road geometry, not track. Not too many new fixie frames fit that bill.
Likes For samkl:
Old 12-10-19, 07:18 AM
Dws77

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Love mine, they’re sweet rides.
Old 12-10-19, 11:05 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
I bought mine because of all the praise they received around here.. def not disappointed 2.5 yrs later
Likes For ceelint:
Old 12-11-19, 07:24 AM
rjmcgovern
RobbieMcG

Bikes: Pinarello, Wabi, Purefix, Trek

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've been year-round commuting on a Wabi Lightning SE for about 5 years. It's a great bike. Here's what I like:

-Lightweight, making it decent for climbing hills
-Carbon: provides a smooth and conformant ride
-High quality components
-Classic design

My experience with the Wabi people has been great. They're very responsive and nice people.
Likes For rjmcgovern:
Old 12-11-19, 02:48 PM
Casualcoolguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! Might have to pick me up one of them around tax season. Any idea of max tire clearance? Looks like a good candidate for a tracklocross build.
Old 12-11-19, 08:17 PM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Casualcoolguy
Thanks for the info guys! Might have to pick me up one of them around tax season. Any idea of max tire clearance? Looks like a good candidate for a tracklocross build.
The special and classic 32
the urban classic 38 (what they list)
the lightning is 28
this is according to the site the urban classic is not well defined.
Likes For tweekfreekdX:
Old 12-12-19, 08:54 AM
Wobblewheel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wabi

Wabi frames and complete bikes have all the qualities of a proper bike but, at a price from the mid 1980s. I know of no other company at that price point to use name brand Reynolds tubing. Most batch built frames start at their complete bike price...and the cost to build up a bare frame even with carefully chosen branded, online purchased new parts will be around $1200 to 1500.00 bucks. Im 62 and still ride fixed or ss, not cuz Im a bad ass, but for the experience. In South Florida, when I started looking again, the LBS stores stock, the same selection of major brands, of cf and alu frame stuff... most salesman will tell you that steel rusts, nobody wants a steel bike and that they dont make bikes like that anymore...really? Lol and I was going to shops listed as dealers for QBP, Marin, and Breezer...what a bunch of sheep herders!
Likes For Wobblewheel:
Old 12-20-19, 07:08 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
i have TWO wabis ... one was stolen and i drove miles & miles & miles to wabiland and bought another and then about a year later i "got" my stolen wabi back so now i have two wabis that i am pretty much satisfied with but now i am wondering if i took my two classics to Col. would WABI take them in trade for an URBAN because i have recently started fixating on riding on 33s or 33+s but to the poster's point WABI is a great $600 bike that retails for $1K+
Old 12-21-19, 11:57 PM
Database82

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe (Sold), Bianchi San Jose, Kona Hahanna (Sold)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd love to own a Wabi, they're beautiful bikes. I like how the bikes aren't covered in manufacturer logos and name branding, the paint and design is simple, elegant, and it just has a really clean look to it.
Old 12-24-19, 10:13 AM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
If I was not riding my retired track bike with brakes and bottle cages I would own a Wabi for all of the above reasons. It would weigh 1/2 lb more and ride nicer.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 12-25-19, 04:34 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
My problem with track frames is the geometry. I have fairly big feet and set my cleats back almost all the way. On a track bike I get bad toe overlap, which is an issue riding a fixed cog because I can't make tight turns, I can't spin my foot back away from the front wheel. Almost went down a couple of times because of that. Bought my Wabi because it had road geometry (and two bottle cage brazeons) and I have no toe overlap with it. if it wasn't for that I probably would have bought an EAI/Toya Godzilla frame. They're pretty sweet. But the Wabi is the perfect one speed bike for people who actually go on normal long road rides and not just blasting around the city for short distances.

And if someone knows a source that has Reynolds 725 tubing decals, besides direct from Reynolds in the UK let me know. Can't find one anywhere on the internet. I don't know why Wabi doesn't put the decals on their bikes. Makes me wonder if it's really 725 tubing.
Old 12-25-19, 07:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I bought my Wabi Special because I wanted a fixed gear bike with road geometry, and preferred a lugged frame for the old school look. Does anyone else even make these anymore? I like too that their rear hubs are fixed/fixed, so you can run any fixed cog/freewheel combo you want. I have fixed on both sides of mine.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
And if someone knows a source that has Reynolds 725 tubing decals, besides direct from Reynolds in the UK let me know. Can't find one anywhere on the internet. I don't know why Wabi doesn't put the decals on their bikes. Makes me wonder if it's really 725 tubing.
Richard, the original owner of Wabi sent me a 725 decal after I asked. So now everyone knows my tubing is real. I'm not sure if the new owners have them anymore.

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-25-19, 08:23 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Richard, the original owner of Wabi sent me a 725 decal after I asked. So now everyone knows my tubing is real. I'm not sure if the new owners have them anymore.
Thanks, I'll send them a message and ask.
Old 12-25-19, 04:56 PM
Casualcoolguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All this talk about wabis makes me think I should buy one hahaha
Old 12-25-19, 07:36 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Thread needs more pics. Post 'em if ya got 'em.

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-25-19, 11:25 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Never ridden one, but I've seen them around and I can make very good inferences from specs.
Back in the day, they were one of the first companies that came out with completes that didn't need upgrades.
Even to this day, it's hard to find a bike under $900 that's going to be really nice out the box. Usually, for that price, you get a very very nice frame, probably some nice cranks and cockpit, but seriously crap wheels.
I have no idea why every company just decides to go with crap wheels on all of their completes. Seriously, look at all bikes under $900 and you'll see what I mean.
Lucky to get low rotational mass, sealed cartridge bearings, and double walled rims that aren't like the cheapest alex rim or something (alex makes nice rims but they also make really crappy ones).
They kept it relatively cheap for what you were getting too (I think it was like $850 for their base model).
I remember looking on their site expecting serious compromises some areas but I was surprised when I saw that they rolled their own allen bolt cartridge bearing hubs, their rims were double walled and nice, nothing was hi-ten or shoddy quality aluminum, really nice reynolds steel, etc.
I was like "wow, someone's actually doing it right".
They seemed to understand that wheels are awesome, and they found a way to make really nice wheels on the cheap (hand trued and stressed too).
That being said, I can't speak to their ride quality or how the bikes have faired over the years. I've heard very, very negative things, and some good ones.
Some of the stuff seems pretty cheap and of questionable origin.
Their frames seem to have compatability issues as well because they made their spacing very proprietary.
Personally, for that kind of money, I would go custom and hunt on ebay/CL for things like seatpost, pedals, bars, etc.
But I have a pair of phils laying around (just begging for nice rims and a hand build), and a lot of extra parts that can just go straight onto another bike.
I'm not your guy looking to get just get into the world of bikes and i'm not that guy looking for their first bike.
For what you get, I don't think that it's like x-treme hype omg, but I've never ridden one so it could be like the smoothest, sexiest, most amazing ride.
They probably ride much better than most completes out the box simply because of their attention to and appreication of the wheels.

But for a person that wants an already well built and nicely configured bike out the box, doesn't want to think about their bike too much, and they want something that they can ride for like the next 5-7 years without ever thinking about ugprading anything cept maybe the seat and tires and stuff a few months down the line, they seem like a good value.

Doesn't seem like the best bike in the world, but to me it seems like they definitely have a very solid place in that price range and would probably end up on any "curious about fixed gear, and want something that i'm going to ride daily" persons list of choices when they want to drop that kind of cash.
Then again, you can #kilott and get like a very seriously nice custom wheelset and have a similar bike (arguably better because you have sick custom wheels now) for like $100 less.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 12-25-19 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-26-19, 11:05 AM
Lazyass

Ride #4 . Did a 100K route we do a charity ride on every year to see how it really feels. Perfect fit, not one ache or pain. The no name "deluxe" freewheel that was part of the Black Friday deal is actually very nice. I have WI to put on it but I'll keep this one for awhile. It's at least as loud as the WI coasting, but totally silent when pedaling. It's not a cheapo clunker.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 12-26-19, 05:21 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Great color.
Old 12-27-19, 03:21 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Sweet sweet Kool-Aid.
Old 12-31-19, 09:19 AM
Lazyass

I'm really impressed with the quality of the frame construction. All of the joints are so smooth. I've had high end Italian and USA made bikes that weren't this nice. I've had/have a bunch of 80's mid-range Japanese bikes like Univega and Centurion that I love that are nothing near this level of quality. Forgive my poor photography skills.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 12-31-19, 09:25 AM
Lazyass

The whole brake bridge/stay junction looks like it's carved out of one piece of steel. Super smooth.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 01-01-20, 08:24 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Thread needs more pics. Post 'em if ya got 'em.
If you insist. Never ridden the Wabi completes but holy crud do I love my Special frame.
Likes For PeopleAreIdiots:
Old 01-01-20, 06:36 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
^ The saddle-security device is pretty slick.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.