Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike with SRAM Force etap

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-08-20, 08:06 PM
lazers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning on building a Gravel Bike with an SRAM Force etap AXS 2X Groupset.

I want to build it with an aluminum frame and carbon forks (so I can attach a Burley trailer while kids are young). I also want it to have hydraulic disc brakes. I would also attach a Burley Thru Axle for it. What do you recommend the other components should be for such a bike? Thanks!

Last edited by lazers; 02-08-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 05:42 PM
Lindarets

Bikes: J.Guillem Atalaya Gravel, Orient All-Road, & Tomir mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
You'll want to keep an eye on the chainstay length/tire size combo. If you have really short (~420-425mm) chainstays, the AXS FD battery doesn't leave a ton of room for wider tires. 35-38mm or longer chainstays are generally fine though.
Old 02-12-20, 09:05 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by lazers

I want to build it with an aluminum frame and carbon forks (so I can attach a Burley trailer while kids are young). I also want it to have hydraulic disc brakes. I would also attach a Burley Thru Axle for it. What do you recommend the other components should be for such a bike? Thanks!
Literally anything you want. Also, alloy isn't necessary for a pull behind style Burley trailer, carbon won't asplode.
Old 02-12-20, 03:36 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm looking at a similar build, but with a Force 1x (probably mechanical, not AXS, just based on costs).
I will probably use Zipp Service Course line for things like the stem, seatpost and handlebars. This stuff seems pretty robust and is affordable.
Old 02-12-20, 05:07 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Literally anything you want. Also, alloy isn't necessary for a pull behind style Burley trailer, carbon won't asplode.
This! I've got a Burly D'lite that I've pulled my boys in with my SC Stigmata for years. I literally lost count of the miles I put on the trailer but I wore the tires out. My oldest is too big for it now but the heaviest pull was their combined weight of 33kg (not including the weight of the trailer) and my dad bod is a semi muscular 110kg. Carbon is stout.

But a carbon gravel bike with Sram ETAP is gonna be pricey.
Old 02-13-20, 07:53 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by lazers

Everyone has their own idea of what is affordable, desirable, and aesthetically pleasing. The Sram AXS stuff isn't cheap, in the neighborhood of $2500 - $3000. For the cost of the groupset alone you could buy a pretty nice complete bike.

The answer to your question lies in your budget. $1000+ for a frame set, another $3k for drivetrain. Add a decent set of wheels and tires, $1000 - $2000. Add another $500 - $1000 for saddle, seat post, bars, stem. Plus labor if you have a shop build it. Somewhere in the$5000 - $6000 range if you build it up from a modest frame.

For $5800 you can buy a carbon Santa Cruz Stigmata with a 1x Force AXS drivetrain. It may not be the 2x you are looking for but unless you need a specific set up then looking at complete bikes may give you better value. For reference the Stigmata with a full 2x Shimano GRX drivetrain is $4600.

Stigmata build specs

Last edited by Bryan C.; 02-13-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-13-20, 11:12 AM
msu2001la

FWIW my LBS quoted me $2260 for a Force AXS 1x groupset. This includes a cranket and bottom bracket.
Old 02-13-20, 08:39 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Spotted while browsing the road forum. Titanium frame, Sram Force AXS 2X, disc brakes, DT Swiss wheels, 38c tires. $2999.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...anium-road.htm
Old 02-14-20, 10:41 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Spotted while browsing the road forum. Titanium frame, Sram Force AXS 2X, disc brakes, DT Swiss wheels, 38c tires. $2999.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...anium-road.htm
Insanely cheap.
That wheelset doesn't look like anything special, but I still don't understand how BD sells bikes like this without losing money. The retail cost of the wheels and groupset alone exceeds $3k if purchased from a LBS.
Old 02-14-20, 10:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Insanely cheap.
That wheelset doesn't look like anything special, but I still don't understand how BD sells bikes like this without losing money. The retail cost of the wheels and groupset alone exceeds $3k if purchased from a LBS.
...Because B&M retail costs are screwball, and even QBP to-dealer wholesale is higher than what Amazon charges.

Although with SRAM and Shimano now pulling MAP crap--they're trying desperately to normalize the sticker-shock retail pricing in the USA.