Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question re: rear derailleur on flatbar road bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 12:43 PM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts

Yeah, I know I should use a dropbar on my Domane 4.3. I tried it many times but just don’t have the same brake control (small hands) and stability. With people wearing earbuds, other bikes and cars to navigate, I need the best brake control and stability I can get. BTW, I’m not a newbie biker.

My question for flatbar road bikers.... I’m currently using Shimano Tiagra 4600 flatbar shifters. The crank is a Shimano 105 and the biggest rear cassette is 34t. The front derailleur shifts fine, but the rear is fidgety. I’ve tried a Tiagra 4601 rear derailleur, a Shimano 105 5701 rear derailleur, and a Microshift R10. I used it with and without the Road Link hanger extender. I’m not 100% satisfied with any of the rear derailleurs–seems to work fine then sometimes hiccups under load. What shifters and rear derailleurs are you using on your road bikes? Have you gone to MTB shifters and derailleurs?
Old 03-16-20, 01:16 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Older bike: SRAM Apex front/rear derailleurs, crank (48/32), and cassette (PG1090)/chain. Shifters: 10spd SRAM flat-bar DoubleTap. Going on 10 years; it all works flawlessly.

Newer bike: SRAM NX shifter/rear derailleur; SunRace cassette (11-42); generic stock 1x crank, 42 tooth. No issues; works flawlessly.
Old 03-16-20, 08:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
No one can tell from here. Hold the bike closer to the computer screen.

Possibilities? Stuck chain link. Bent derailleur hanger. Shoddy set-up. I have used 10-speed Tiagra and a 105 derailleur .... awesome stuff. I have used a variety of MTB gear on various bikes through the years.

If they hiccough under load .... are you shifting under load? That might be the problem. Otherwise a sticky link or maybe a bent derailleur cage so that the chain comes off the lower jockey wheel----but you wouldn't see that on two different derailleurs. Bent frame, bent hanger, bad chain, bad set-up.

Or ... something else.
Old 03-18-20, 03:33 AM
Ramshackle

Thanks! I'll try SRAM.
Old 03-18-20, 09:06 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Shimano makes brake levers for smaller hands. I believe you can buy them in the 105 flavor.
Old 03-18-20, 12:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I ran Tiagra flatbar shifters with a lowly Sora RD and it was perhaps the slickest shifting system I have ever ridden. Having gone through that many RDs, I'd start thinking the shifter might be the issue. What is the one constant through all the ineffective changes?
Old 03-18-20, 01:06 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Are you using an index shifting set-up, and are both your shifter, RD and cassette the proper number of speeds (9-10-11)? If not you'll have issues regardless if Shimano, SRAM, or Microshift. I use a Microshift RD and Shimano bar-end shifters on my favorite 9-speed roadie (actually a touring bike), and no problems. I had a few issues up front, but that was from cable stretch in the first few weeks; nothing a little adjustment couldn't fix. MTB-style flat bar shifters should be the same situation.

If friction shifting, its just a matter of adjusting the max out-and-in travel distance of the RD, then getting used to the shift points. Cable stretch will have an effect on friction shift systems, too, and require a little adjustment in the first few weeks.
Old 03-18-20, 05:51 PM
Ramshackle

Occam's razor applies here. The simplest solution.... If three different rd's don't work then it must be the shifter. Thanks for the direction.
Old 03-18-20, 06:07 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle
Occam's razor applies here. The simplest solution.... If three different rd's don't work then it must be the shifter. Thanks for the direction.
I'd certainly try that before I would try yet another RD. Man I tell you mine was buttery smooth.
Old 03-18-20, 09:25 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramshackle

Most likely = cables/housing.
2nd most likely = hanger/RD alignment.
After that, cassette, chain, equipment mismatch.
Shifter is pretty much the least likely, IMO.