Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe One Tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Schwalbe One Tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 01:24 PM
kenshireen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe One Tubeless

Anybody use these tires?
I read a review and they seem to have rolling resistance comparable to the Conti 4000 ll.
Do you have to put anything inside the tire or can you just ride them on a tubeless rim.

The only minus I can see is that they are a bit heavier.... about 345 grams vs 215 for the Conti.. (although a tube does weight close to 100)
Old 02-21-16, 03:52 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running them all this year, and love them. I have a set of 23's on Bontrager Paradigm rims, and they measure out at 26.5.

They held air just fine without any sealant, but then you're kind of losing some of the benefits of tubeless. I'm running 30ml of sealant on either tire to help seal puncture flats.

Overall, they are fantastic tires. I'm about 145, and running 80psi in the front and 85 in the back, and they feel firm, smooth and fast under me. Would definitely recommend.
Old 02-21-16, 04:52 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I just got my tubeless wheels built and was going to use Orange Seal initially, but I have the 23 PRO Ones. I use NoTubes sealant in the mountain bike tires and have for years but since I have some Orange Seal (used on the Fat Bike) I'll guess I'll use that thigh I prob still have Notubes/Stan's sealant left. I have been using the Conti 4000s for a while and recently switched to Vredestein Quattros or whatever. I prefer the Vreds for comfort...speed seems similar. If we continue with this good weather, I'll report back soon. The Contis were pretty harsh over road gaps and jolts. Looking forward to trying the Pro Ones soon.
Old 02-21-16, 06:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Schwalbe One tubeless is a tire that trades everything for grip and low rolling resistance. It's like an F1 tire for a bike. If your roads are immaculate, expect around 1,200 miles from a rear. If they're real-world roads with potholes, chipseal, and the usual detritus, expect 900-1,000. There is absolutely zero flat protection built into a One, it all comes from the liquid sealant. And everything will puncture. I had to top off sealant every 2 weeks, just from the amount expelled during punctures.

But man, were they ever fast and smooth.
Old 02-21-16, 06:28 PM
kenshireen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The Schwalbe One tubeless is a tire that trades everything for grip and low rolling resistance. It's like an F1 tire for a bike. If your roads are immaculate, expect around 1,200 miles from a rear. If they're real-world roads with potholes, chipseal, and the usual detritus, expect 900-1,000. There is absolutely zero flat protection built into a One, it all comes from the liquid sealant. And everything will puncture. I had to top off sealant every 2 weeks, just from the amount expelled during punctures.

I understand that you can use them without any sealant...I run 4000 ll and never had a flat... how would you compare the One... I have seen studies that showed that the One was very slight ahead in rolling resistance...particularly at lower PSI
Old 02-21-16, 06:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you were racing with them, or on some sort of magical debris-free roads, you could go sealant-free. But as I said, you'd have absolutely zero flat protection. Any puncture at all and you're flat.
Old 02-22-16, 06:29 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I'm wondering why one would want to run a tubeless tire without sealant and also why not buy the new Pro One's that are way ahead of the original One's in weight reduction, rolling resistance, and ride quality? I had my first puncture riding tubeless a few weeks ago and the sealant did its job so I made it back home without having to break out the repair kit.
Old 02-22-16, 08:34 AM
kenshireen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you run without sealant....would you have as much flat protection as riding on a tubed rim....
Debris still has to penetrate the tire...does a tube really offer any additional protection. I figure is something penetrates the tire it will also pop the tube
Old 02-22-16, 08:48 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by kenshireen
If you run without sealant....would you have as much flat protection as riding on a tubed rim....
Debris still has to penetrate the tire...does a tube really offer any additional protection. I figure is something penetrates the tire it will also pop the tube
I've never got a perfect seal without sealant, either at the rim or at a valve. I'm sure some tire/rim combos are better than others.

As for Schwalbe Ones, I agree that the wearability is shorter lived than say, 4000s.

Old 02-22-16, 10:33 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

I've had completely the opposite experience. My first rear tire lasted ~3000 mi with zero flats (no sealant). I retired it when a sharp rock caused a puncture because the tread was toilet paper thin. My current rear tire has probably 5000 mi on it (was previous a front). Since switching the to the One I've gotten significantly few flats than before (Michelin Pro3 and Hutchinson Fusion 3).

Tubeless tires have inherently better flat protection than an equivalent tubed tire. Since the tire is totally sealed, a pinhole leak remains a pinhole, while with a tube, the hole can expand as the tube stretches and can flop around the rim. Tubeless are much less likely to suddenly deflate, and will stay locked on the bead even with total deflation.