Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flying

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-00, 11:59 PM
Carl Jacksen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on flying on airplanes with your bike? I have done it a few times and, besides having to pay extra, have not been pleased with the results.

The last time I did it, my bike box got rained on both coming and going. Another time I was on a flight and then bumped and my bike box looked like it had already been flown around the world, when it had only been put on the plane and taken off again.

I have used the airlines bike boxes, but since I do self contained biking/camping, I don't usually have anywhere to leave the box for a couple of weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carl
Old 01-08-00, 08:00 PM
Q

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carl,

I've flown many times with my bike within the US. Whenever I fly, I always send my bike to my destination VIA UPS prior to my arrival. I use a hard shell case & take care to ensure that my bike is properly packed.I insure the machine for just a little more than its replacement value. I no longer have to lug my bike through airports, while struggling with my other luggage. Another benefit is the cost. Last I checked, this method saves about 40% over airline fees for flying bikes. I have NEVER had a bad experience doing this.

You can probably obtain a cardboard shipping box free from a local bike shop. If you're interested in buying a hard case, consider posting an ad in the classifieds on this or other bike related sites.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, please feel free to E-mail me directly.

Q
Old 05-05-11, 08:49 PM
victor221

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much is that case?
Old 05-06-11, 01:30 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bet the price has changed in 11 years...
Old 05-06-11, 06:25 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carl, you might want to look into https://shipbikes.com/
Old 05-06-11, 10:37 AM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Years ago I had to go to the airport to pickup a computer that was shipped to the company I was working for. It was arriving on a late flight. I don't remember how it wa shipped, but it was treated as baggage. I got at the baggage delivery to see items coming down just like they do when you get your baggage and the guys from the airline litterally pulling packages ant throwing them to the wall.

I was there in time to get the computer before it got that treatment, at least at that stage. I imagine items get similar 'care' along the way.