Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 12:21 PM
ESM

Bikes: '13 Trek 8.3 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedals

Picking up my Trek 8.3 DS after work. I raced road bikes until '95, so I'm a bit "out of the know" these days. I'd like to ride clipless. Should I get road or mountain clipless? Are there clipless pedals that allow the shoe connection but also allow you to ride with "normal" shoes/sneakers? All advice welcome.
Old 12-27-12, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
With MTB pedals and shoes , you don't have to take your shoes off to walk about,
with road shoes you probably Do.

yes there are SPuD pedals that are one side made grabbing the cleat in the shoe,
the other side not, just a surface to use street shoes.

Shimano has 2 , welgo makes a near-copy of one of them.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-27-12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 01:50 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
the one side SPD, one side normal pedals are a pain int he butt, having to flip them around to find the right side. I've also seen pedals with a bearclaw and spd on both sides, they are quite hard to get your cleat into too.

I for one use BMX 'pin' pedals, which have 90% of the benefits of clipless while wearing normal shoes.
Old 12-27-12, 04:59 PM
CabinDweller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ESM,

I have the Shimano PD-A530 pedals (on my DS 8.3) and absolutely love them. I can't tell you how nice it is to clip in when you want to go for a serious ride or just jump on with regular tennis shoes for a quick ride when you want. When I ride with my son (who is 6) I don't need to be clipped in and love that I don't need to switch pedals to be able to ride in regular shoes. Best of both worlds if you ask me. You can get them for a good price from Amazon or Nashbar.

By the way... You're going to love that 8.3
Old 12-27-12, 05:51 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.3 (sold) '13 Trek Domane 2.0 (sold) '18 Trek Super Commuter 8s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the DS 8.3 - obviously. I saw pierce's pedals (Wellgo B-67's) and while they were a challenge to find, I really like them. I'm fairly new (again) to cycling and just wouldn't feel comfortable clipped in...and least, not yet. The B-67 offers a large footpad and with those pins, you're feet aren't moving. Period. Good stuff.
Old 12-28-12, 09:03 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
I have been using Shimano A530 SPD clipless/platforms since I bought my Giant Cypress. They work great and if I want to slip up to the store or somewhere , I can wear any shoe I want! I just bought another set for my folder or Raleigh road bike.
I started with the "single release" cleat that came with the pedals but some bought the multi release ones. They release more naturally and are best for beginners IMHO. A530 SPD retail in Canada around $95.
Old 12-28-12, 12:38 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MadProphet
Love the DS 8.3 - obviously. I saw pierce's pedals (Wellgo B-67's) and while they were a challenge to find, I really like them. I'm fairly new (again) to cycling and just wouldn't feel comfortable clipped in...and least, not yet. The B-67 offers a large footpad and with those pins, you're feet aren't moving. Period. Good stuff.
AFAIK, the B67's are a discontinued model. the main reason I picked up the B67's is I found them on a deep discount on amazon or something. there's /lots/ of BMX pin pedals out there, the mountain bike guys have adopted them ... the fancy ones run $100 or more.

hmmm.
https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12145.html
guess we should watch out for Wellgo's with black spindles :-/

good pedals, IMHO, have cromo spindles, sealed bearings, and the outboard bearings are actually outboard and not in the middle somewhere. the bearings should be rebuildable or be cartridge bearings. pin pedals ideally have a few pins in the middle as well as around the edges. the really good pin pedals have pins that can be removed from the back and replaced, and they should be able to withstand a few rock strikes without breaking.

wellgo is actually the manufacturer for a lot of other brands, they make everything from cheap junk plastic pedals to top of the line stuff.
Old 12-28-12, 11:17 PM
Dilberto

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Crank Brothers Candy Mountain pedal, works great anywhere.