Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Show of hands on red light / stop signs

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 09:46 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Being the subject of the "Idaho" or rolling stop aka treat stop as yeild subject comes up frequently I have a question. By a virtual show of hands, how many of you have ever been ticketed for a "safe" slow-n-go at a red light or stop sign? How many have ever even been stopped and warned? (Getting stopped for blowing through an intersection at speed without looking doesn't count)

I ride with two different clubs and have participated in several organized events, and have ridden 1,000s of miles solo. While the letter of the law is that you must come to a complete stop at all stop lights and signs, I am well aware that the majority of cyclists will slow-n-go unless it is unsafe to do so and I have done this many times myself both solo and while in groups. On a few occassions this has been done in full view of a LEO and at least once I can remember one waving a group ride through the intersection at a 4-way stop. I have never heard of a cyclist being stopped or cited for a slow-n-go that did not result in an accident or disruption of traffic flow. I've never even had a motorist get upset with me for a slow-n-go as long as I didn't interupt their path of travel. In fact, the only motorist who flipped me off (actually the passenger) was a redneck who had to wait a couple of seconds to make a right on red when I legally had the green light (acknowledging that a minority of people are arses even when you follow the rules).

There have been numerous discussions on the subject but, outside of the thread about the cyclist who got a ridiculously high fine for multiple violations, I can't recall anyone else saying they have been stopped or cited. It seems that the practice has been accepted by the vast majority of the road using public and is even tolerated by law enforcement as long as it is done in a safe manner.

Is all this fretting over the "Idaho" stop law a matter of a solution looking for a problem?
Old 12-29-12, 10:20 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
well, it's not when you consider public impressions of bicyclists.

I'm pretty sure every single motorist stopped at a red light that sees a cyclist roll thru in front of them gets momentarily peeved at cyclists for disregarding the light, or that they don't get to do the same thing. it's not a neutral action on the part of a cyclist in traffic.

when it comes down to getting a ticket on a bike, the roads are wide open, man. do whatever you'd like, it's very unlikely you'll ever get a ticket.

personally, i've gotten a ticket for doing a slow n roll thru a stop.

that's not why i'd recommend cyclists stop at red lights and wait for the green.

I think differentiating between slowing at a stop, and riding thru a red light, are different. It is distinct in Idaho ( red light law was added later) it is distinct in Oregon where they entertained a idaho stop law.

there's a difference between rolling a stop, and disregarding a red light. the scale of the roads is usually different.

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-29-12 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-29-12, 10:24 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
OK hand raised here... was stopped for a slow and go many years ago by a cop that warned me. This was quite early in the morning in a beach area known for late risers. (party area).

I was prepping for a long tour and was loaded down with panniers filled with bricks and newspapers (basically dead weight) and was cruising through the area. I did a slow and go at three consecutive stop signs, with nary anyone else about. The cop was somewhere behind me... and saw me run all three. He caught me and we had a short discussion. He said the first one didn't bother him so much, the second kind of alerted him, and the third, well, it was all he could take.

He asked about the panniers, and I told him I was working out to go on a long tour... during our conversation very little other traffic (if any) came along. He suggested that I should practice stopping too, and then went on his way.

These days I stop for all red lights and only "run" them if they do not change for me. (this is legal) I tend to stop or slow and go for signs, depending on the traffic load and what I see and hear. If I don't have a clear "no other vehicles" unobstructed view, I stop. When I was 30 years younger I used to do the cyclist U turn at red lights (legal right turn, U turn, then right turn again) to get past red lights... I haven't done that in a couple of decades now... just no point.

Bottom line, I stop a lot more now. I find it annoying when other cyclists run lights... I think it sends mixed messages to the public.

BTW, I like the Idaho stop laws, they make sense as long as they are not abused... just like right on red makes sense, when it is NOT abused (it is often abused).

Last edited by genec; 12-29-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-29-12, 11:37 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
This usually occurs here in my city as a part of targeted enforcement months
aimed specifically at bicyclists. I am enough in the loop to know when these
are happening and where the targets are located, but I can assure you that
at such times I have personally met and discussed their written citations/verbal
warnings with at least ten different people.

The local constables publish the numbers on such enforcements. They are
obtainable if you care to look for them. Look for such key words and phrases
as "ride safe month", or "bicycle safety month".

Otherwise, the local police here have other stuff that's higher priority.
Old 12-29-12, 11:51 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Years ago I lived in Irvine, CA, and I had two different co-workers stopped and ticketed for running stop signs on their bikes. I never quite understood how you could get points against your drivers license when riding a bike since a DL is not required for cycling. In Irvine that was the case though.
Old 12-29-12, 02:03 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I never have.
Old 12-29-12, 02:41 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I'm at an empty junction and don't feel like waiting at a red light, I'll get off the road, wheel my bike along the pavement and rejoin the road once across the junction. Might look a bit strange to a bystander but it's better than being hit by the car I didn't see. At stop signs, I tend to do a 'rolling stop' i.e slow down enough that I can always stop at the line if necessary, until I can see that my path is clear. This may mean coming to a complete stop at the line if visibility is poor. Remember that on a bicycle you are further forward than a car driver, so you may be able to see more clearly while still behind the line.
Old 12-29-12, 02:48 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two warnings via cop car PA at stop signs, but I hadn't slowed -- more of blow-n-go's.

I now slow in the presence of police, and always slow or stop to yield ROW. If someone waves me through, I always accept the courtesy and proceed.
Old 12-29-12, 04:55 PM
GeraldF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never been stopped.
Old 12-29-12, 07:31 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming home last week I approached a normally busy intersection with a police car idling across the street in an empty parking lot; which I noticed immediately.

Did a complete stop behind the sidewalk and waited for a large gap to my left...to my right...I let the pedestrian on the other side of the street completely cross to the other side........and then?

I cruised right through the intersection. I could have hung out in the middle and did a 8-10 little loops before having been smashed. Had my bright jacket on, super duper lights, helmet, etc. The cop saw me do this and s/he obviously didn't give a crap because s/he had bigger issues to worry about! Like the drunk drivers who routinely speed down that street...
Old 12-29-12, 07:36 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did get a ticket for a red light violation. I was stopped in a left turn lane and pulled out from the light early so as not to back up traffic. (it's hard to explain but when the opposing traffic light turns yellow, I start from a completely stopped position) Got a $351 ticket.
Old 12-29-12, 07:46 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take four $351 tickets a year from running red lights and still come out ahead vs. a typical motorists yearly expenditure.

No amount of tickets will affect my treating stop signs/red lights like yield signs.
Old 12-29-12, 07:49 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
My philosophy is in my signature, in Haiku form.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-29-12, 09:26 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Doohickie

I like that signature. Still technically illegal at a red light, but shows consideration for others on the road.
Old 12-29-12, 10:00 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Never been stopped. I refrain from crossing a cop's bow while breaking the law at the same time - unless traffic is locked up real good. I don't think I am worthy of scrambling the police helicopter!
Old 12-29-12, 10:02 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really don't treat stop signs and red lights as yields. For the most part I stop. It is just safer at this light to leave early and not block the traffic behind me. Even though I got the ticket here, I still leave early......

https://youtu.be/MY7Zl_qUK_4
Old 12-29-12, 10:04 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
Doohickie

I like that signature. Still technically illegal at a red light, but shows consideration for others on the road.
Technically you are correct. My experience with local law enforcement seems to be that if you're not disrupting traffic, it's all good.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-29-12, 11:15 PM
RobertHurst

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Cops have better things to do, generally.

Was a messenger for 20 years and went under approx. a half million red lights. Got one ticket from a moto cop who had a notorious anti-bike grudge. (I tried not to blatantly break the law right in front of the Fuzz, however, as it puts them in a tough spot.)

No longer on the job, I tend to sit at red lights, like a good little boy. Mainly for PR purposes.

Last edited by RobertHurst; 12-29-12 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 11:31 PM
TwoFourOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't run red lights (ever), but I'll roll through stop signs. Never been stopped/yelled at/hit/anything.
Old 12-30-12, 08:34 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never been ticketed. I tend to stop at lights and signs when there is traffic, but do the slow and roll when there is no other vehicle within a few hundred yards. I was lectured by an officer when I called the cops on a driver who almost took me out. He basically blamed me for forcing the driver to pass me on the left when I was turning left (from a left turn lane).

The relevancy of traffic regs to cyclists is ambiguous for so many reasons and I can see no near future with a good resolution.

-G
Old 12-30-12, 10:45 AM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped at a red, checked, no traffic, and I went through the intersection. Unfortunately I didn't notice the bicycle cop sitting having a cup of coffee on the patio outside the Starbucks on the corner. Oops! Got a lecture, no ticket.
Old 12-30-12, 01:14 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't run reds unless a sensor is malfunctioning but carefully and slowly roll through stop signs when doing so is safe. So far this has received no attention from law enforcement. My hunch is that unless they have other agendas traffic enforcement officers don't much care about the difference between a complete stop and a careful crawl.
Old 12-31-12, 01:58 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't run reds, period.
Old 12-31-12, 05:17 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gcottay
I don't run reds unless a sensor is malfunctioning..
In this case, it's different. The light is badly adjusted and so should be treated as broken. You should proceed through with caution, as traffic from other directions may have a green light and thus right of way.
Old 12-31-12, 03:36 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I don't run reds, period.
Do you safely go through red lights, ie, not "running" them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.