Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike Check Help - Giant Trance X2 2009

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 05:13 PM
netjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Guys,

I'm getting back into MTB after a long break. First time I'll be diving into a full suspension bike. I'm moving out west and want to do trails and light jumps. Instead of dumping $ into a brand new $3k+ bike, I wanted to grab a hold me over bike off FBM.

I found a 2009 Trance x2 that seems to be in good shape and the d00d is giving away 3 helmets (1 full face and 2 halfs), pump, hydration backpack, allen keys. I've negotiated $650 for the price.

Thoughts on the purchase? I want to make sure I'm really into it before I dump the full money which I'll do a little down the road.
https://ibb.co/1Gzq9K3
https://ibb.co/1Gzq9K3https://ibb.co/c1k7rjq

videos -

https://streamable.com/xk6bwn

https://streamable.com/r3z7xs

https://streamable.com/ksyx23

https://streamable.com/99fh1v
Old 02-13-22, 05:36 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Always check for cracks, usually around welds. Make sure it's the right size for you. If it isn't, wait. Take it for a test ride, make sure the suspension works., ideally it should be serviced if it can't been. Chains are usually worn, so expect to potentially replace it. Make sure the brakes work well. Make sure there is no slop in any bearings... How old is the chain? Doesn't looks terrible, tough to say without seeing in person.
Old 02-13-22, 05:51 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,521 Posts
giant fs.

maestro suspension works like a dream,good choice.had a '05 & very hard to improve for the $$$.as said-look for cracks but this model is fairly trustworthy.
Old 02-13-22, 09:03 PM
netjack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eshew
Always check for cracks, usually around welds. Make sure it's the right size for you. If it isn't, wait. Take it for a test ride, make sure the suspension works., ideally it should be serviced if it can't been. Chains are usually worn, so expect to potentially replace it. Make sure the brakes work well. Make sure there is no slop in any bearings... How old is the chain? Doesn't looks terrible, tough to say without seeing in person.
Sorry slop in bearings means what or how do you test for that?
Old 02-13-22, 11:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,101 Times in 2,737 Posts
I will say the helmets are a wash, I wouldn't want someones used helmets unless I trusted the person (with my life) and the helmets were not old and stored well. I know that Full Face helmets can be expensive but in the end they are one time use safety items not something I would share with anyone.

No real comment on the bike but eshew had good points. I just wanted to point out some helmet safety.
Old 02-14-22, 04:26 AM
netjack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No one seems to mention whether a $3K bike that's 13 years old for $650 is a good deal - lol!
Old 02-14-22, 07:35 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by netjack
No one seems to mention whether a $3K bike that's 13 years old for $650 is a good deal - lol!
I think this just really depends on the condition. If it doesn’t need a lot of $$$ work and it fits your needs then it’s a good deal as far as I’m concerned. A MTB that’s been ridden hard for that long and not well maintained, probably not. Some will argue that modern MTB geometry has changed so much since then that you should spend the money on something newer, but I personally like riding older stuff enough. I’m currently building up a 2004 Tomac FS.
Old 02-14-22, 07:41 AM
netjack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I need to know that I'm still into it and then I'm willing to splurge for something newer. So I guess I need a decent beater and it could turn into a second bike for guests?
Old 02-14-22, 09:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
It really comes down to 3 factors:

Condition, condition, and condition.

A 13 year old bike could be in fabulous condition (such as if it was barely used, or very well-maintained and serviced) or it could be a money pit that will end up costing way more than should be put into such a bike.

The problem is that the most expensive things (fork and shock) are the hardest to determine the internal condition of. Sadly, your average rider never does anything to maintain or service their suspension.

Then there are all the little wear items that can add up: wheel bearings, headset bearings, chain, cassette, chain rings, rotors, pads. Obviously, you’re going to replace most of these things at some point anyway, but it would be best not to have to replace them right off the bat.

If you can either learn how to check for all of these things, or know someone who reliably can, then I would consider the purchase. But if you’re not really sure about what you’re doing, this could be a big waste of money.
Old 02-14-22, 05:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,101 Times in 2,737 Posts
It is one of those things that is tough to say on an online forum where nobody has actually put eyes and hands on the bike. If someone said yes and the bike was falling apart and needing a lot of work you would be screwed and if someone said no and the bike was bought new almost never ridden and brought in for regular tune ups and fork overhauls then it might have actually been worth it but we won't know. If you can have the seller bring it to a good local shop and have them look at it (maybe offer the shop some money for the time or a case of beer or cookies or gift cards to the local or chain coffee shop) you might have a better sense of it.
Old 02-14-22, 08:18 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 459 Posts
Originally Posted by netjack
only a good deal if it fits and covers how you wish to ride...
thing I can add, is my experience in going from a 26 FS to a 29r and then back to 27.5...
given I'm not a highly skilled rider (yet... LOL!) I can still feel a huge difference in going from a 26 FS to that same 26 with a 27.5 front wheel...
The 27.5 front makes a huge difference in handling rough terrain and certainly on any downhill sections.
I recently bought a 2019 29r FS (marin) which is about as highly spec'd as any AL frame out there. Generally liked it for 'flow' type riding; but when I got into more technical terrain, the bike became a handful for me... I'm 150 lbs, so muscling a big bike takes some doing. The 29 is not as easy to work though tight, super turny sections and often I feel as if it was leading me, rather than me riding it.
Just tried a 2018 Spec Expert (carbon) 27.5 - it's a super match for me! Great climber, not quite as fast on Downhills as the 29r, but just as stable - totally love this bike!
But back to 26 - which I believe is what the Trance X2 is - are you sure you want to deal with an 'older' platform? A good rider will certainly be able to ride it well... but as a very averrage rider, I'm sold on the larger wheel sizes...
FWIW: My 26 FS bike has a FOX fork, which had 1.5 inch space between a 26 whl with 2.3 tire and the fork arch... which meant I could put a 27.5 front wheel on it with no problems...
Handling is greatly improved, slightly increased head angle makes it more stable in downhills - overall makes the 26" FS a ton of fun to ride ! I'm keeping it ! (was gonna sell the old bike).
If the trance has the fork arch clearance for the 27.5 , it would be a huge improvement !
There are tradeoffs on everything...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: maybe I should have said 'decreased head angle... slightly slacker... prolly 1 degree difference from 70, now closer to 69 ish...
also anything at or over 1 1/4 inch clearance at the arch would give enough room for a 27.5 - if you're not worried about 'mud' clearance issues...

Last edited by cyclezen; 02-14-22 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-19-22, 07:43 AM
trance 27.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy a bike that old for that price because you never know what's wrong that may cost you $ to fix. Maybe if it was $250, I will take a gamble.

I wouldn't also use someone's used helmet... to me it's like underwear.

How about renting a bike first?
REI and local bike shops rent out bikes, at least where I am in Az.

Good luck.