Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did my lbs wrap bar tape the right way?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 01:17 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My old tape wore out so I had it replaced. I like how the new tape feels, but I don't know if the mechanic wrapped it correctly. If you look at the picture, you can see he wrapped it over the hoods as well. I thought you skip the hoods and go around to the upper part of the handlebar. When I'm riding on hoods I definitely feel a bump that wasn't there before. When I mentioned this he said it's because the tape is new, which I assume he was referring to the cushion. He also wrapped it inwards (clockwise on left side, counter-clock on right side). I was told you wrap it outwards, but this isn't really a big deal to me. I'm mainly worried about the hoods as I'm not used to how it feels.

He was nice about it and told me I could bring the bike in for him to take a look, but before I do that I wanted to ask here first.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150404_141328x.jpg (55.8 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg
20150404_140225x.jpg (40.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 04-04-15, 01:41 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
No, normally the tape wraps over the intersection of the bar and shifter to hide the metal clamp and to look seemless when the hood isn't peeled back. I would never send a bike out wrapped like that unless the customer asked for more under the hood.

Last edited by hairnet; 04-04-15 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-15, 01:44 PM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that's trying too hard to cover everything.

take it back and ask if he'll remove the bulge, or do it yourself.

that rubber protrusion on the hood falls in to a slot on the shifter housing and it can't because it's covered with tape.
Old 04-04-15, 01:46 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Agreed. They went too far up under the hood – as evidenced by the hood underside tab insert being covered up.

Ask them to have a more experienced tech redo the work. Not the summer temp.

BETTER YET...

Learn how to do it yourself

There are literally a bazillion YouTube videos – and it's one of the easiest places to start in learning how to take care of your ride

Last edited by velociraptor; 04-04-15 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 01:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18463 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
I'm puzzled at why you didn't do your own tape.

It appears as if the wrapping is around the brake lever body, but below the hoods. That looks very nice to me. However, it is a bit bulbous with the thicker tape. It would probably be ok with thinner cloth tape.

Are the mounting bolts for the brakes accessible? Is that peg I see sticking out on the hoods supposed to go into a hole into a hole in the brake body to help hold the hoods in place?

How does it feel when you roll the hoods back into place and ride the bike? Do the hoods feel secure?

As far as the direction of wrapping the tape.
I've found that if you wrap from the middle to the ends, and tuck the tape into the ends of the bars, then it looks pretty, but I find it unravels quite badly. So, I now do it from the ends of the bars to the middle, and try to keep it TIGHT.

I'm not sure if clockwise vs counterclockwise makes any difference. Perhaps my next wrap I'll try half and half and see which unravels first.

No doubt there could be quite some debate about the proper tape wrapping.

Personally if it is comfortable and the hoods feel secure, I'd try it for a couple thousand miles, then if you don't like it, replace it with a different wrapping technique.
Old 04-04-15, 02:01 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
If it were my shop I'd have the tape redone.

Sprinter della Casa: How To - Handlebar tape
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-04-15, 02:05 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm puzzled at why you didn't do your own tape.

It appears as if the wrapping is around the brake lever body, but below the hoods. That looks very nice to me. However, it is a bit bulbous with the thicker tape. It would probably be ok with thinner cloth tape.

Are the mounting bolts for the brakes accessible? Is that peg I see sticking out on the hoods supposed to go into a hole into a hole in the brake body to help hold the hoods in place?

How does it feel when you roll the hoods back into place and ride the bike? Do the hoods feel secure?

As far as the direction of wrapping the tape.
I've found that if you wrap from the middle to the ends, and tuck the tape into the ends of the bars, then it looks pretty, but I find it unravels quite badly. So, I now do it from the ends of the bars to the middle, and try to keep it TIGHT.

I'm not sure if clockwise vs counterclockwise makes any difference. Perhaps my next wrap I'll try half and half and see which unravels first.

No doubt there could be quite some debate about the proper tape wrapping.

Personally if it is comfortable and the hoods feel secure, I'd try it for a couple thousand miles, then if you don't like it, replace it with a different wrapping technique.
Don't confuse the OP. His tape was wrapped incorrectly and we've already stated why.

And yes, there is pretty much only one correct way to wrap bar tape – no matter how badly some people may want it to be a subjective matter.
Old 04-04-15, 02:07 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ya, it does look like they at least went "bottom-up" (thank God!). Because otherwise, whoever wrapped them would've had to have been properly prosecuted to the last letter of the law.

I've yet to re-wrap my own so I really can't speak to it, but I've certainly watched a few videos. For me, I think I'd wrap clockwise on the right handlebar and CCW on the left.....just cuz I tend to pronate vs supinate my wrists if I had to guess one or the other.

(shrug)
Old 04-04-15, 02:43 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
If it were my shop I'd have the tape redone.

Sprinter della Casa: How To - Handlebar tape

I don't know why everyone does it like that ^^^^^, but the short piece covering the clamp should be trimmed so it doesn't overlap the shifter housing. The ends should just touch the back edge of the housing. The only purpose of it is to cover up the clamp.
Old 04-04-15, 03:10 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I like to use the stubby piece to see how much I can stretch the tape before it rips :-p
Old 04-04-15, 03:12 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Lazyass

I don't know why everyone does it like that ^^^^^, but the short piece covering the clamp should be trimmed so it doesn't overlap the shifter housing. The ends should just touch the back edge of the housing. The only purpose of it is to cover up the clamp.
On the inside it's short, mainly because the shifter actually moves in that spot for Campy, although I didn't take a picture of it. On the outer side there's a bit more to help hold the piece in place. It's frustrating if I have a very short piece which then moves a bit post-wrap, which has happened to me. I prefer to have a bit of tape going up under the hood so that it gets anchored in place. At an angle, with tapered tape, it's not intrusive.

I'm glad you didn't have any other notes/comments
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-04-15, 03:20 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
On the inside it's short, mainly because the shifter actually moves in that spot for Campy, although I didn't take a picture of it. On the outer side there's a bit more to help hold the piece in place. It's frustrating if I have a very short piece which then moves a bit post-wrap, which has happened to me. I prefer to have a bit of tape going up under the hood so that it gets anchored in place. At an angle, with tapered tape, it's not intrusive.

I'm glad you didn't have any other notes/comments
I've never had it move on me. Just saying. Didn't mean to offend you or anything
Old 04-04-15, 03:42 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I've never had it move on me. Just saying. Didn't mean to offend you or anything
All good. Life is a continual series of improvements. I do my best to take all constructive criticism into consideration.

I posted something about windshield wipers on Steve Tilford's blog. Another reader was like, dude, get a life (or something like that). I was thinking, "Oh, man, don't get me started on tubulars!"
Old 04-04-15, 03:44 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it just didn't seem right that the little rubber part forced itself to make a hole through the tape because it was covered up. The hoods actually feel solid and secure, but that slight bump felt little uncomfortable when riding. I would've done it myself but he offered to wrap it for free if I bought it so that was very nice of him.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll definitely go back and ask to redo it.
Old 04-04-15, 03:51 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once on a wrap I had the little piece too short and the wrap too wide causing it to gap a couple weeks later. So I pulled the wrap over the gap just enough and used super glue to hold the wraps together. Nobody knows I cheated until it was time for a re-wrap.

FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 04-04-15, 04:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13042 Post(s)
Liked 7,969 Times in 4,240 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Ya, it does look like they at least went "bottom-up" (thank God!). Because otherwise, whoever wrapped them would've had to have been properly prosecuted to the last letter of the law.

I've yet to re-wrap my own so I really can't speak to it, but I've certainly watched a few videos. For me, I think I'd wrap clockwise on the right handlebar and CCW on the left.....just cuz I tend to pronate vs supinate my wrists if I had to guess one or the other.

(shrug)
The best way is on right side of bar, from the end, clockwise up to levers, then switch to CCW up to bulge, then a nice electrical tape.

Opposite windings for left side of bar.
Old 04-04-15, 04:55 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Handlebar Tape Installation (drop bar)

Old 04-04-15, 05:14 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
There is no proper way, just opinions. Some like piece of tape behind hoods, some like figure 8, some would rather have bar showing behind to the hoods in order to avoid bulky wrap under the hoods. I have even seen people with more years experience than I've been alive who advocate wrapping top down. I've only paid a person to wrap bars once (just cause he was doing other work at the same time) and that mechanic asked me some very specific questions about how I wanted my bars wrapped before he did anything
Old 04-04-15, 07:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18463 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
Originally Posted by velociraptor
Don't confuse the OP. His tape was wrapped incorrectly and we've already stated why.

And yes, there is pretty much only one correct way to wrap bar tape – no matter how badly some people may want it to be a subjective matter.
If it works, then it is OK.

If it doesn't work, then re-wrap it. One can often re-wrap tape when it is nearly new without ill effects.
Not surprising, there is too much of a bulge which the OP doesn't like, so a re-wrap is in order, along with informing the mechanic that did it.

That wrapping would have looked nice with thinner tape, or perhaps with Weinmann brakes, or most of the non-integrated aero levers (if there wasn't the bulge. Of course, that is really only with the older bikes or low end bikes today.
Old 04-05-15, 06:50 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
If I can wrap bartape acceptably, anyone can. It just takes a bit of patience and practice. If it doesn't look right, unwrap and try again.
Old 04-05-15, 07:01 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with that at all, but if not happy, you could always wrap it yourself.

cheers