Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Kickr vs Tacx

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 04:41 AM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Kickr vs Tacx

I will be getting (or trying to) either the Kickr v5 or the Tacx Neo 2T . I know they are both generally well regarded but it wasn’t until I saw ‘Unterhausen’s’ earlier thread about Kickr maintenance that I realized that ease of maintenance might be a differentiating factor. Does anyone on the forum know if one or the other trainer requires more maintenance, or more complicated maintenance?
Old 10-16-20, 01:11 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
It depends on who you talk to. Wahoo trainers have shown their share of issues, but I believe Wahoo support is better (based on user comments). I have a 2T and it has not needed repair or service, so I can't really comment on Garmin's support of it.

I have seen *one* report of a bearing issue on the 2T, but so far mine has been perfect. Silent, connects quickly, and works perfectly.
Old 10-16-20, 01:16 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
What Kickr maintenance? I've been riding a certified reconditioned Kickr 18 since March and have done absolutely no maintenance to it. Meanwhile an acquaintance has been posting about regularly needing to replace the belt on his Hammer (not sure which version) on Strava, 3 times already in the same time span.
Old 10-16-20, 02:53 PM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the replies

My takeaway from the fact that my post was read by many, but only a couple of folks replied is that there’s no definite sense that one requires more maintenance and that, as with anything, sometimes, things just go unexpectedly wrong. Thanks for the help
Old 10-17-20, 08:05 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I've had my Kicker for just over a year now, have about 2000 virtual miles on it. working well. mine is used in a garage, cold in winter, hot in summer. no issues at all.
Old 10-20-20, 10:18 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
My takeaway from the fact that my post was read by many, but only a couple of folks replied is that there’s no definite sense that one requires more maintenance and that, as with anything, sometimes, things just go unexpectedly wrong. Thanks for the help
Fair assessment. But there are other reasons for choosing one over the other, and it depends on your priorities. For example, I chose mine because it never needs calibration, is very quiet, and includes "road feel." It wasn't cheap, but I've never regretted the decision.