Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

is this a Eddy Merckx?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

is this a Eddy Merckx?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 05:45 PM
xnapi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this a Eddy Merckx?

Hello All,

First of all Thank you for this place!
I'm new here and looking for some insight/advice..

My father has this bike and he says it's "the bike as Eddy Merckx had" at that time. He purchased it circa 1974.
There are no stickers on the bike at the moment since it was painted white many years ago, however a black and white photo of the bike is also on the attachments.
He also talks about aluminun in the frame.
At the moment the bike is protected from rust with grime and dust However, i shall restore it to it's splendour (if not for the sentimental value)
Anyone has any thoughts of feedback?

Thanks!
D.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Photos.zip (11.26 MB, 51 views)
File Type: zip
Photos1.zip (9.95 MB, 27 views)
Old 11-16-20, 05:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by xnapi
Hello All,

First of all Thank you for this place!
I'm new here and looking for some insight/advice..

My father has this bike and he says it's "the bike as Eddy Merckx had" at that time. He purchased it circa 1974.
There are no stickers on the bike at the moment since it was painted white many years ago, however a black and white photo of the bike is also on the attachments.
He also talks about aluminun in the frame.
At the moment the bike is protected from rust with grime and dust However, i shall restore it to it's splendour (if not for the sentimental value)
Anyone has any thoughts of feedback?

Thanks!
D.
I don't know, but that was a lot more interesting than most of the "what is this" bike threads that newbies start.
I've seen photos of Eddy with fenders on his bike, but I'm not sure it had fender mounting eyelets like yours does.
Old 11-16-20, 06:07 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Interesting bike that would be a worthy project, but not an Eddy Merckx.

Not sure what he meant by aluminum in the frame; some of the components are aluminum, that's about it.
Old 11-16-20, 06:40 PM
xnapi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Interesting bike that would be a worthy project, but not an Eddy Merckx.

Not sure what he meant by aluminum in the frame; some of the components are aluminum, that's about it.
Thank you for the replys! By aluminium in the frame I mean that the frame was claimed to be aluminium
(I would be happy to be proved wrong on this last statement)
Old 11-16-20, 06:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
That is not an aluminum frame. Test it with a magnet.

Old 11-16-20, 07:04 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
I expected one of the cheap "licensed" Eddy Merckx bikes like a Falcon, but this is a bike-boom (or just before) Bullet-stay-cap frame that could be any one of a dozen Italian makes except I do not recognize the headlugs as any of those commonly cited (Chiorda, Torpado, Olmo, etc.). It is steel, likely "gaspipe" steel cottered crank, maybe even steel rim wheels. Nothing special but it would be worthwhile as a "restoration learner" project but don't expect to make any profit, otherwise.
Old 11-17-20, 01:50 PM
xnapi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I expected one of the cheap "licensed" Eddy Merckx bikes like a Falcon, but this is a bike-boom (or just before) Bullet-stay-cap frame that could be any one of a dozen Italian makes except I do not recognize the headlugs as any of those commonly cited (Chiorda, Torpado, Olmo, etc.). It is steel, likely "gaspipe" steel cottered crank, maybe even steel rim wheels. Nothing special but it would be worthwhile as a "restoration learner" project but don't expect to make any profit, otherwise.
Thank you for the comment! However, pardon my slight ignorance but what do you mean as bike boom bullet stay cap ? Thanks
Old 11-17-20, 03:08 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Thank you for the comment! However, pardon my slight ignorance but what do you mean as bike boom bullet stay cap ? Thanks

Bike Boom refers to the period in the ‘70s when everyone was suddenly riding “10 Speeds” many of which were pretty low quality

Bullet Stay Cap refers to the attachment of the seat stays to the seat lug. Your bike has cone or bullet shaped caps or tips. There are many differ styles of caps some plane Jane like these flat plates brazed to angle cut tube or these fancier “spoon” type caps

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-17-20, 03:10 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Around the early 1970s (what was the "bike boom" in the USA, there were many bicycles hurriedly imported to meet a huge up-tick in demand for "10-speeds". Italy supplied many inexpensive bikes that often were made from seamed mild steel tubing and the tops of the seat says were frequently pointed like a bullet. There were many brands and not all were as cheaply made or as cheaply sold, but they still crop up frequently (proving they are either durable or just persistent) and hard to ID. I think you have such an example and the unique features are what may be (cheap) Japanese drivetrain components (RD and FD) but headlugs that I have not seen before on similar frames...and cannot even tell if they are "real lugs" or not.
Old 11-18-20, 12:11 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I'd never seen an FB derailleur before, so quick trip to Disraeli Gears indicated Portugal as a possible origin. The sample had come from a marque call Esmaltina which happens to be the largest Portugese manufacturer, dating back to 1970. Given that the OP is from Portugal, this would be my starting point. The company is still is business: https://esmaltina.pt/