Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt users - ever lost a ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Elemnt users - ever lost a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 12:18 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
So an update on this since it's back to the top... I actually ended up getting an Elemnt some time in late '19? So far no issues. I also ended up with a Garmin Vivosport fitness tracker later in early '20 for other reasons, but also have used it to track many of my rides. Since I've had it, the Vivosport has lost one activity (Garmin tech support says the device found the file became corrupted?) while the Elemnt has been 100%. I have to say that Garmin gives me a lot more analysis of data and that's very nice, but still a fan of the Wahoo as my main cycling device.
Old 11-22-20, 12:19 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by hugomac
I have just had a ride fail to load into history. And therefore not into Strava etc. Strange though it loaded a summary into my “week” as it was the only ride. So no rides detail in the last 10 days but in the “last week” the ELEMNT shows I rode 90.4km and climbed 666m etc. Pending response. First issue in a couple of years. I am a fan.
It happens to be sometimes. You just have to go into the ride history on the app and prompt the update by pulling down on the screen.
Old 11-22-20, 12:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
It happens to be sometimes. You just have to go into the ride history on the app and prompt the update by pulling down on the screen.

This....I had one that did not load into Ride with GPS I use to store my data. I just had to go into my Roam and push it to load. That was the only time I'm had to do that with either my Roam or Elemnt.

Old 11-22-20, 12:39 PM
Robert A

Has anyone had problems with Live Tracking not working? Mine works <50% of the time. I have Wahoo senior support helping me and have replaced the head unit and checked all the settings. The only thing I haven't done is to replace the phone itself.

Last edited by Robert A; 11-22-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-22-20, 01:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Has anyone had problems with Live Tracking not working? Mine works <50% of the time. I have Wahoo senior support helping me and have replaced the head unit and checked all the settings. The only thing I haven't done is to replace the phone itself.
There was a recent period where it wasn't working consistently for me, but after multiple firmware and Elemnt app updates, it's worked on my last couple rides. I didn't ride outside at all in October though. Using a Bolt with Pixel 3a XL running Android 10.
Old 11-24-20, 06:19 PM
gofastdontcrash
#gofastdontcrash

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL7 Sagan, S-Works Venge, Specialized Stumjumper Pro Carbon, Beach Cruiser, NS Zircus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't logged a ton of rides on my Element Bolt, but so far, no issues with ever losing a ride. It does take longer to sync with my phone in areas with bad cell reception though.
Old 11-25-20, 11:50 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
+1 on that. My Bolt is connected directly to Strava so I don't use the Elemnt app much, but I go there often and sometimes my rides don't update by themselves and appear as soon as I pull down the screen to update it.

Never lost a ride though.
Old 11-25-20, 11:52 AM
Robert A

Originally Posted by eduskator
+1 on that. My Bolt is connected directly to Strava so I don't use the Elemnt app much, but I go there often and sometimes my rides don't update by themselves and appear as soon as I pull down the screen to update it.

Never lost a ride though.
Excuse me, but how do you connect the Bolt directly to Strava without going through the Elemnt app?
Old 12-01-20, 04:30 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
There was a recent period where it wasn't working consistently for me, but after multiple firmware and Elemnt app updates, it's worked on my last couple rides. I didn't ride outside at all in October though. Using a Bolt with Pixel 3a XL running Android 10.
Yeah, I confronted that this Spring/Summer (I think - time is odd these days), but it's been fixed for a while.

Have you unpaired and repaired the phone to the Elemnt - forgetting the device in bluetooth settings? My recollection is one part of the problem is that Apple's iOS update (if you're on iPhone) required more explicit agreement to pair a device, and devices paired under the previous OS didn't work because you hadn't given permission, but the permission dialogue never popped up.
Old 12-01-20, 04:37 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah, I confronted that this Spring/Summer (I think - time is odd these days), but it's been fixed for a while.

Have you unpaired and repaired the phone to the Elemnt - forgetting the device in bluetooth settings? My recollection is one part of the problem is that Apple's iOS update (if you're on iPhone) required more explicit agreement to pair a device, and devices paired under the previous OS didn't work because you hadn't given permission, but the permission dialogue never popped up.
I have done all of these things, and mine works about 2 of every 5 rides. Wahoo says my situation is unique as they receive very few reports like mine. The only thing I haven't done is replaced the phone itself.