Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Brand New Old Raleigh

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 02:34 PM
greggh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brand New Old Raleigh

My daughter recently brought home an old bike, given to her from a friend that had just moved into a new (for her) house. Apparently this bike was left behind in the basement. I'm guessing that this old Raleigh is from the early 70's, based on what I can compare it to from the old catalogs online. The amazing thing about this bike is that it has never been ridden. Everything on it is seemingly original with no indication of wear. The chain, chainrings, cassette, pedals, shifters, etc. are like new. Even more surprising is that everything else is just as nice. That includes the cables, saddle, brake pads, and the tires. The tires still have the flash on them from when they were made. The tubes have been holding air for at least three weeks now. There are also (paper?) stickers on both hubs and the bottom bracket. There is a bit of rust on the dropout on the fork, a tear on the saddle, and a few chips on the paint. Otherwise this bike looks like it is brand new. Even the soft foam handgrips are perfect. Needless to say, I can't let my daughter ride this bike until I find out what we have on our hands here. I would assume that it is somewhat unique due to it never having been ridden. My goal would be to get enough for it to buy her a more modern bike and have enough left over for her to buy me a new saddle for my bike. Any insight on this bike would be most appreciated, including what year it is, how uncommon is it to have a bike this old that is in such good shape, and lastly, what might it be worth.
Old 06-03-20, 03:25 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a Raleigh Record. circa 1983-1984. This model was the bottom of the lightweight line.While there is a CrMo decal, it is only pertains to the seat tube. The rest of the frame is basic hi-tensile steel. There's a lot of steel components on the bicycle (rims, hubs, handlebar, set post, rear derailleurs) making it relatively heavy. So, while it's in excellent condition, it's not a high or even middle grade bicycle. The appeal is further limited by it being a ladies' model.

It's hard to say the current value, given that the pandemic is having vastly different market effects, depending on the region. However, I seriously doubt you'd obtain your goal of making enough to buy your daughter a new modern bicycle and a saddle for yourself.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-03-20 at 03:28 PM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-03-20, 08:45 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is a Raleigh Record. circa 1983-1984. This model was the bottom of the lightweight line.While there is a CrMo decal, it is only pertains to the seat tube. The rest of the frame is basic hi-tensile steel. There's a lot of steel components on the bicycle (rims, hubs, handlebar, set post, rear derailleurs) making it relatively heavy. So, while it's in excellent condition, it's not a high or even middle grade bicycle. The appeal is further limited by it being a ladies' model.

It's hard to say the current value, given that the pandemic is having vastly different market effects, depending on the region. However, I seriously doubt you'd obtain your goal of making enough to buy your daughter a new modern bicycle and a saddle for yourself.
Most + Ralieg-American stuff used tempered 4130 Cro-Mo Fork and rear chaintays with there tehnimium bonding and preision welding nearly anything was possible main frames vaired alot. As for quakity All there stuff was very good for the price they sold very good mid level bikes made in the US.

Last edited by zukahn1; 06-03-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 09:08 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Its not uncommon to see bikes that old that are almost unridden --- but that one appears to have been stored in a nice climate controlled area rather than a muggy garage or attic IS unique

If your daughter wants to ride, let her ride it --- It is a fun and unique time capsule

I love it ---- i'll say it again - it looks FUN ! I wouldn't expect the slae proceeds to be enough to finance much of a new bike though ---- id venture a guess that in a hot market or in a college town where someone wants something kitschy , you might - emphasis on might - see 2-225 out of it based solely on the time capsule condition ----

If it were in normal shape for a 35 year old bike, it'd be worth $50-75
Old 06-05-20, 11:10 AM
greggh

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the insight on this bike. I was hoping that she had something special here. But you are right, she just needs to go out and enjoy a somewhat unique ride.
Old 06-09-20, 09:28 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by greggh
Apparently this bike was left behind in the basement. I'm guessing that this old Raleigh is from the early 70's, based on what I can compare it to from the old catalogs online. The amazing thing about this bike is that it has never been ridden. . I would assume that it is somewhat unique due to it never having been ridden. My goal would be to get enough for it to buy her a more modern bike and have enough left over for her to buy me a new saddle for my bike. Any insight on this bike would be most appreciated, including what year it is, how uncommon is it to have a bike this old that is in such good shape, and lastly, what might it be worth.
It's from the early 1980's. I think that era of Raleighs are built better than those Made in England in the 1970's but the 80's models, in my opinion, don't have the same vintage charm as the earlier models. Unless you find someone who is nostalgic for that particular model, I don't think you'll get more than $200.00 for it. If that's the case, you certailnly won't find a modern bike as good as the Raleigh for $200.00, or less if you want to get a new saddle for your bike.
Old 06-09-20, 01:45 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's a very pretty bike. Somebody might give you a couple hundred dollars for it. The big drawback is the chrome steel wheels. So, a buyer will only want to pay about one hundred dollars. Later models of this particular bike were equipped with alloy rims that were lighter & faster rolling. If I were you I'd turn it into a daily rider.

I found one of these back around 2014. I think it's a few years newer than yours. It was covered in heavy residue and, back wheel wouldn't roll. Imagine my surprise when I cleaned it up & discovered it was practically new - unused. The rear wheel axle was replaced & the alloy wheels spun perfectly. Added new tires, upright handlebars, grip shifters and, a rack. Gave it to my wife. Six years later it's still her favorite bike.

Old 06-09-20, 02:46 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It's your daughters bike. Let her ride it.....what is with you for thinking you are going to sell it so you can purchase a saddle for your dominating a$$?
Go out and buy your own saddle.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-09-20, 05:36 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
It's your daughters bike. Let her ride it.....what is with you for thinking you are going to sell it so you can purchase a saddle for your dominating a$$?
Reading is fundamental. He said that he is hoping to get her a bike and use the left over money to get a saddle. No need to be so rude or bossy on here. Shame on you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-09-20, 05:40 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Old 06-09-20, 09:32 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Holy cow, the saltiness up above! Damn.
Anyway, greggh , it's a pretty, ride around the neighborhood and relax kind of bike. I bet she could sell it for $125, 150. In my neck of the woods, anyway, because it's got flat bars, can be ridden by anyone w/o much effort at all, and should function very smoothly due to its astonishing condition (the headbadge! those tires!!) and solid build. If that's all she wants, maybe your daughter keeps it; just don't expect good braking in the rain. If not, it's a deposit on a modern bike.