Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Forerunner Bike Mount

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 12:38 AM
dstrkt

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a Forerunner 305 for triathlon training, has anyone ever used either of these mounts and can you tell me which one works better?

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-110...1594971&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...1595006&sr=1-2
Old 08-12-10, 04:52 AM
squeege

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was about to answer the 2nd one only, and that the first is not made for the 305. But then I read a review where one person says that he uses it on the 305.

I have the 2nd one (quick release kit). Like the velcro strap better than the original strap when running, then pop it out and put it in the included bike mount when riding. I've been using this for over two years and have never had an instance where the watch "popped out" when cycling or running.

I suppose the first one might provide some extra insurance of not losing the watch since the band is wrapped around the bar, but the 2nd one has worked fine for me.
Old 08-12-10, 10:03 AM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I DO NOT have a Forerunner 305...so your experience will definitely vary.

I have the Forerunner 405, and used it for cycling until I got a Garmin Edge 500. One of the things that I hated about the 405 was the way it sat on my wrist. I've got large wrists and it was just uncomfortable with its built in curvature.

So, I got the replacement strap pictured in the second link (shown below)

This made the 405 much more comfortable. I used that for a month or so and was very happy with it...other than needing to look at my wrist while riding. So I bought the mount in the first link. It works GREAT. You don't need to use the zip ties, so you can move it from one bike to another. The watch strap wraps around it quickly and securely, and the tightening of the strap causes it to grip the handlebars nicely.

One thing to note. If you use a watch strap that is a 'pin and buckle' type (as opposed to a velcro strap like the one pictured), then it might be more difficult to put it on the mount. Not much more difficult, but if you're trying to save time in a transition, it's something to think about.

Charles