Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Spot for picnic along Withlacoochee trail

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 06:27 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I will be in Florida in a few weeks and plan to bring my trike to ride the full distance of the Withlacoochee trail. The plan is to start at the north end and meet my wife (who does not plan to ride) for a bit of a picnic somewhere around mid-point. I was hoping that some of you who are familiar with the trail could recommend some nice places to stop. The plan is for her to meet me, spend a bit of time enjoying the surroundings while having a bit of lunch, and then me zipping off on the southern leg to complete the ride.

We're just looking for a relatively quiet place with nice scenery. I don't like to eat a lot while I am riding so restaurants are out.

Oh yeah, it has to be easy for her to find while driving. Although she will have the Garmin in the car, I won't have a clue on how to tell her how to find me.

Thanks
Old 03-25-15, 01:29 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The only 2 places I can think of that are easy to get to from the trail and by car are the parks in Inverness and the picnic area next to Ferris Groves in Floral City.
The parks in downtown Inverness are on the bike trail and have lots of vehicle parking. The parks are 16 miles south so not quite 1/2 way.
Inverness map --> https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8403.../data=!3m1!1e3
There is a park at the squiggly lines in the center and Wallace Brooks at the right. Both have lots of parking for vehicles.
The dark thing is the lake.
There is an "ok" bike shop across from the squiggly park and a GREAT bike shop a block south at the corner of Pine Ave. and Dampier St.

Ferris Groves is at mile marker 23 so at the 1/2 way point.
The picnic area in Floral City is on the trail and right on US41 so easy to get to by car.
Floral City map --> https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7522.../data=!3m1!1e3
The paved surface (diagonal) near the right side is the bike trail. The S shaped paving is a trail for cyclists to Ferris Groves parking and picnic area. US 41 is the paved road to the left with 41 on it. They have awesome strawberry shakes.

Let us know when you'll be here. Maybe some of us can ride with you if you'd like.
Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 03-25-15 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-25-15, 05:12 PM
Focus1

Bikes: Trek Navigator 2.0, '73 Raleigh G.P., Dream 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Another place you might want to consider for a picnic is Fort Cooper State Park. It's about 3 miles south of the parks in Inverness and about 4 miles north of the halfway point of the trail in Floral City. It's quiet and peaceful and has water and toilets. I've had several picnic lunches there. There is an entrance to the park off the Withlacoochee Trail and an entrance for cars off Old Floral City Road. There is a $3 entrance fee for cars. Following is a picture of the picnic area at the park:

There is also a county park south of Floral City. You would take the trail south of Floral City for about 1-1/2 miles to E Floral Park Drive. Take Floral Park Drive going west for about a half mile to Parkside Avenue. Go south on Parkside. You'll be able to see the park from there. That park is also accessible by car from Rte. 41 by going east on Floral Park Drive. On Google Maps, the park location is identified as City Strawberry Festival. Following is a picture of the park:

Good luck!
Lew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fort Cooper.jpg (107.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg
Floral Park.jpg (105.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-25-15, 06:01 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks much. I spent some time with Google Earth and other resources, but there is no substitute for experienced eyes on the ground. The trip is coming together, but there is still some uncertainty about the schedule.